Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Haydel
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've sort of had my eye on this for a while now, but, to be honest, I'm just not enthused about paying primo prices for the now OOP Asmodee edition.

However, I can spend $40 and get the original Ragnar Brothers Viking Fury printing, though I wonder: is the game still as enjoyable and as playable even though it's not as lavishly produced as the Asmodee edition?

I dunno, the cloth map seems like it's got appeal from a kitsch perspective, and components don't necessarily a game make, but, you know, sometimes they go a long way.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Warren
United States
Marietta
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping to get the Asmodee edition, as I have to admit that the bits are a big part of the appeal.

I was debating switching to the original, but I thought I came across something that indicated they had different rules. I don't recall what the difference was, but it switched me over to focusing on the newer edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the original, but I can tell you as an owner of the Asmodee edition, it is truly a work of art. The board and card art is beautiful, the viking and boat figures are detailed and very nicely done. For me that does add something special to the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't understand why this went OOP so fast. It was on my "Procure" list, but before I could budget for the thing, it was no longer available.

Anyone have a guess as to whether it will be reprinted by someone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Haydel
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
I haven't played the original, but I can tell you as an owner of the Asmodee edition, it is truly a work of art. The board and card art is beautiful, the viking and boat figures are detailed and very nicely done. For me that does add something special to the gameplay.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was afraid of - I'll admit that components do go a long way for me, but I wanted to believe that I could still get the same "game" from Viking Fury with its arguably less-exciting components than I could from the Asmodee edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Walker
United Kingdom
Liss
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't comment on the original 'tea-towel' edition but the Asmodee version is both lovely to look at and a great game to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the teatowel. Never seen the gaudy version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Haydel
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
I like the teatowel. Never seen the gaudy version.

All right! Score one for the original!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a plastic lover, I prefer the later version. I bought it before it went OOP.

Some may call it "gaudy", but I prefer "gaud-awful-nice"!

But hey, buy what you want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Lipman
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Yeah, that's right Proud Liberal
badge
D'Oh!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
i like my original edition (teatowel version).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mrhaydel wrote:
I'll expand on it, then. It's not like the 2004 effort is crude or unfinished or something. The teatowel is very nicely, neatly done, well printed (no, I haven't tested if it's washable) and well finished round the edges. There are lots of little coloured blocks, some tiddlywinks, a pack of simple but readable & neat cards (plus a small elastic band I sadly suspect is meant to hold the cards once the cellophane is off) and a sheet of well-printed die cut counters, mostly circular, but on rather thin card. There are stands for the ships that are amongst the counters.

The rulebook, it has to be admitted, does look a bit like an amateur fanzine. It's neat, clear, readable, functional.... and rather plain. Black print on white paper with a yellow card cover.

I like it. It works, it's not gaudy, it's not ostentatious, it's not unnecessarily flash, and it's not expensive. It's a game, not a work of art. Definitely not a work of art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
As an owner of the Asmondee version I'd encourage you to get whatever version you can - it's a good game and you shouldn't wait to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Haydel
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
mrhaydel wrote:
I'll expand on it, then. It's not like the 2004 effort is crude or unfinished or something. The teatowel is very nicely, neatly done, well printed (no, I haven't tested if it's washable) and well finished round the edges. There are lots of little coloured blocks, some tiddlywinks, a pack of simple but readable & neat cards (plus a small elastic band I sadly suspect is meant to hold the cards once the cellophane is off) and a sheet of well-printed die cut counters, mostly circular, but on rather thin card. There are stands for the ships that are amongst the counters.

The rulebook, it has to be admitted, does look a bit like an amateur fanzine. It's neat, clear, readable, functional.... and rather plain. Black print on white paper with a yellow card cover.

I like it. It works, it's not gaudy, it's not ostentatious, it's not unnecessarily flash, and it's not expensive. It's a game, not a work of art. Definitely not a work of art.

Excellent follow-up Wulf.

I'd say not all games have to be works of art in order for them to work well (an entirely different discussion in its own right), but I know I myself am often times too focused on how a game looks rather than it plays.

So with that, I'm feeling more comfortable with getting the original edition, though I'd still welcome other thoughts/comments on the two. Heck, maybe since it'll only ever be intended for my enjoyment, I'll see if the guys at Ragnar Brothers could autograph it or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and have played the Ragnar edition. I have also played the Asmodee edition several times. I personally don't find the Ragnar edition to detract from the game. I enjoy the novelty of the board being made of cloth.

If it matters to you, the Ragnar box is about 1/3 the size of the Asmodee box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I own and have played the Ragnar edition. I have also played the Asmodee edition several times.
And are the rules the same? I'd like to know that myself. I seem to remember downloading the Asmodee rules to read, but that was a couple of self-destructing hard drives ago... gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
dcorban wrote:
I own and have played the Ragnar edition. I have also played the Asmodee edition several times.
And are the rules the same? I'd like to know that myself. I seem to remember downloading the Asmodee rules to read, but that was a couple of self-destructing hard drives ago... gulp

The Asmodee edition adds some rune cards that add more player interaction (more nastiness devil ). Can't remember what other rules changes there are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of the tea-towel edition on my trade list. It is in great shape and a fun game. I just never get the chance to play it anymore. soblue

I would love for it to make it to a good home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
dcorban wrote:

The rules are exactly the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
citizen k wrote:
As an owner of the Asmondee version I'd encourage you to get whatever version you can - it's a good game and you shouldn't wait to try it.

My sentiments precisely! I own Asmodee edition and have put some thought into acquiring the Ragnar Bros. edition as well...because I love the game so much I think it'd be cool to have both. The game is amazing if you can't justify the price of one grab the other...just play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
mrhaydel wrote:
I've sort of had my eye on this for a while now, but, to be honest, I'm just not enthused about paying primo prices for the now OOP Asmodee edition.

However, I can spend $40 and get the original Ragnar Brothers Viking Fury printing, though I wonder: is the game still as enjoyable and as playable even though it's not as lavishly produced as the Asmodee edition?

I dunno, the cloth map seems like it's got appeal from a kitsch perspective, and components don't necessarily a game make, but, you know, sometimes they go a long way.

Thoughts?

I have both editions (collector) and have played both. I probably won't play the Ragnar edition again (even though the game play is fundamentally identical), but enjoyed playing the more colorful plasticky Asmodee and will likely bring it out again and again. Some gamers are more game-play oriented, and others (like me) are more bits-focused. (Many similar opportunities abound, like Acquire 3M (plastic edition for less than $20 on ebay) vs. Acquire Hasbro (going for $100+ on ebay) - same game - different bits.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Stepin
Russia
Arkhangelsk
Arkhangelsk region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
Anyone have a guess as to whether it will be reprinted by someone?

I had the same question and asked Asmodee themselves. They answered that they didn't own the rights for the game anymore. soblue

So, I'm preparing a hundred bucks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, sad news.

Though it might mean that the designer possesses the rights again and would welcome another publisher.

Zev, are you out there? Z-Man Games, can you hear our plea?

Glenn Drover? Eagle Games? Can anyone hear me?

Fantasy Flight, would you like to re-theme a game so you could aid and abet Games Workshop in marketing a "Sea Raiders" race for Warhammer Fantasy Battles?

Hey, it was worth a shot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still for sale directly from Ragnar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Stepin
Russia
Arkhangelsk
Arkhangelsk region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:

You mean, Viking Fury - not F&A, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Haydel
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jasly wrote:
dcorban wrote:

You mean, Viking Fury - not F&A, right?

Right, it's Viking Fury, the original "teatowel map" edition. I contacted them and they said they could ship it to me (from the UK, I believe) for $38 total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.