United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how well it will shuffle.... interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't hit it or it will shatter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Don't carry this in your pocket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like dangerous stuff to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generic nod to science:

Quote:
the nano-scale glass coating bonds to the surface because of the quantum forces involved.

and the obligatory conspiracy theory:

Quote:
Other outlets, such as many supermarkets, may be unwilling to stock the products because they make enormous profits from cleaning products that need to be replaced regularly, and liquid glass would make virtually all of them obsolete.

It won't be long before this is being sold on late-night home shopping channels. Too bad we no longer have Billie Mays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MEGA-Cool!

Screw Scotch-gaurd! *grin*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. If it's half as cool as they claim it is, well, very cool:

"The spray cannot be seen by the naked eye, which means it could also be used to treat clothing and other materials to make them stain-resistant. McClelland said you can “pour a bottle of wine over an expensive silk shirt and it will come right off”."

If it is unnoticeable on a silk shirt, I imagine it will be equally unnoticeable on cards/boards/etc., and the idea of cards/boards that could easily shrug off a spill of a staining liquid is pretty awesome. Article claims it will be available at DIY stores in Britain soon for around 5 pounds. Would love to hear a report...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
sounds like dangerous stuff to me.

Based on what? The whole article talks about how safe it is.

It sounds dangerous to me too, but that's because my wife works for Clorox...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natural born viking
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smells like snake oil to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven D
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the story published two months from now, I'd say it is an April fools joke. This almost sounds too good to be true...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kosec
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jober72 wrote:
Smells like snake oil to me

Poo on you!

I'm getting buckets of this stuff. Forget my cards and boards. I've been looking for a way to protect my silk shirt collection for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
...and it comes in 8 delicious flavors!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also works great as an insect exterminator. Spray ‘em midair, and watch ‘em drop. Safe to handle the corpses, since you’re not actually touching the insect. Don’t breathe it in, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
Dannysland wrote:
Another alarm bell -- unwillingness to explain the magic formula:

Quote:
When asked about how the technology works, Neil, said “In essence, we extract molecules of SiO2 (the primary constituent of glass) from quartz sand, and then we add the molecules to water or ethanol. Unfortunately, as they say in the movies , if I told you any more …..”.

(From the company's webpage)

I think that's actually quite understandable. That information is proprietary and you dont want to let the general public knowing how to easily make the stuff until the patent is no longer valid (and thus you wont make any money from the patent).

Wrong. Patents specifically *must* reveal how it is made, otherwise they are not valid. That's the entire point of patents.

If it's a trade secret, then you are correct, but in that case it can remain secret forever. See, for instance, Coca Cola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
Dannysland wrote:
Another alarm bell -- unwillingness to explain the magic formula:

Quote:
When asked about how the technology works, Neil, said “In essence, we extract molecules of SiO2 (the primary constituent of glass) from quartz sand, and then we add the molecules to water or ethanol. Unfortunately, as they say in the movies , if I told you any more …..”.

(From the company's webpage)

I think that's actually quite understandable. That information is proprietary and you dont want to let the general public knowing how to easily make the stuff until the patent is no longer valid (and thus you wont make any money from the patent).

Anyone can obtain a copy of the patent and read how they do it.

They just cannot make money off of said process until the patent expires.

Who can look up the patent in the country of origin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
The site seems to be presenting itself as if this were a physics news site. Yey it's not one I recognize. Were this product real, sometihng would have been said in reliable sources because it would be a useful product.

What they describe doing sounds like it's actually just dissolving silicates in water and so not surprisingly the result is not visible to the naked yeet because there's nothing there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll believe it when I see it. I used to work on developing a process to deposit glass on metal parts. If the part wasn't VERY clean, it didn't stick very well.

Anything that relies on "quantum forces" for adhesion is going to run into the same problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And you can spray your children. They will grow faster and be much healthier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
The site seems to be presenting itself as if this were a physics news site. Yey it's not one I recognize. Were this product real, sometihng would have been said in reliable sources because it would be a useful product.

What they describe doing sounds like it's actually just dissolving silicates in water and so not surprisingly the result is not visible to the naked yeet because there's nothing there.

PhysOrg IS a physics news site. It's been around for a few years now and does what it does pretty well, that is, reporting out a high volume of sci/tech news daily. If you have reason to be cautious, it's not because this is made up, but because the article is single-sourced; you're only getting the perspective of the company and not of any outside scientists/nanotech experts/health and safety regulators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! One coat of this, and I'll never need to shower again--just a spritz of windex and I'm good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
I wonder if they can maintain it as a proprietary knowledge with health concerns being an issue, or if it will require patent.

RTA. It notes that there is a patent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kruse
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dyfrgi wrote:

RTA. It notes that there is a patent.

Unfortunately they don't mention the country they patented it in. I can't seem to find anything in a quick USPTO search, and I don't know what other countries have their patent records online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Keech
United States
Brentwood
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until someone invents "instant shrink-wrap card sleeves", I may have to look into this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the article:

Quote:
Since it is available in both water-based and alcohol-based solutions, it can be used in the oven, in bathrooms, tiles, sinks, and almost every other surface in the home, and one spray is said to last a year.

Ok, if one spray is supposed to last a year, then that means it wears off.

If it wears off, the little microscopic shards of glass have to go somewhere, which I bet plays hell with things like electronics, hard drives, and probably corneas.

Whether this is a miracle product or not, I hope that some serious testing gets done before manufacturers start coating their product with it, and it start showing up on shelves without the public being aware.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.