United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so excited when UPS delivered Incursion to my door last night, but my enthusiasm quickly faded when I discovered that the printing and manufacturing quality control was not very good. I realize this may not matter to a lot of people, but in my case it causes two very real problems for gameplay:

1. The colors are significantly off on the cards. The attacks, negotiates, and reinforcements don't match the ones in the base set, and my new artifacts are downright purple (and dark purple at that). I can sort of live with this on the faces, but on the backs it is unacceptable. I don't enjoy cheating, and I don't enjoy having to remember to avert my eyes from the destiny deck during my entire first encounter, so I'm not alerted as to whether my second encounter (should I choose it) would or would not be against Orange.

2. Alien power sheets are slightly larger. They don't fit into my sleeves! Just last month I invested over $30 in enough sleeves to handle my cards and alien sheets for at least the next two or three expansion sets, so that the sleeves would all match. Now I feel like a sap for believing that the expansion components would actually match those in the base set. So much for getting all the powers sleeved so they last longer and look the same from the back.

I guess I can "fix" both of these problems by printing out my own components and oversleeving with copies of "good" cards and alien sheets from another base set -- but if I'm going to go to all that trouble and expense, why on earth did I waste money on two copies of the actual expansion set?

Talk about disappointed. Part of the magic of the FFG edition was the promise of finally getting most of the cosmic goodness in one solid edition where everything matched. Now the magic is gone.

All these weeks and months of anticipation, and I don't even feel like reading the new aliens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! That's really disappointing. I'm personally not to concerned about the Alien cards, but the Flare and Destiny backs need to blend in with the existing decks. Did both of your copies look the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrm, last FFG expansion that did this to me was Doom, different sized cards and slightly different colors. And the 2nd printing of the base game didn't resize the original cards to the new size either. I wonder what happened?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My copy did show a *slight* difference in color, but nothing like what you describe. Nothing that you could pick out in normal lighting from across the table.

Can anyone else who has a copy comment?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I wonder if Bill just got a screwed up copy. No doubt he is more particular than most of us, but I didn't notice a huge difference. The alien cards are the same size; I didn't notice a difference at all there. The background designs on the faces of the Attack and other cards in the Rewards deck are actually different -- entirely so -- from the ones in the main deck. The pattern is different, and the color shade is a touch brighter. I believe that's to help reinforce (no pun intended) that it's a Reward deck card.

I played a couple of games with the Orange destiny cards. Didn't notice any different on the card backs there at all.

I dunno if I'm just less critical, or blinder, or if Bill just got a funky copy. But that's my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This review is from not even reading the components...

This really shouldn't be a review any more than commenting on box art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The colors on my set are a little different, but the only way I can tell is if I hold up two cards and scrutinize them. It's not something that anyone could tell when we played last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grandy
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's disappointing to hear...hopefully your copy is the exception and not the rule. I'm so what of a perfectionist, so different color/sized components isn't acceptable in an expansion.

Where did you get the sleeves for your Alien power sheets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the title of the thread I thought Bill was talking about the durability of the components. But, finding out he was referring to the size and colors used, I looked at my set. Here are the comparisons I see:

1A. The new power sheets have square corners instead of round in the base set. [Edit: I'd forgotten that we'd done that ourselves.]

1B. They are also very slightly larger, perhaps half a millimeter in each dimension. This is the sort of thing that is subtle but very obvious if you care about it -- there are magicians' decks (like the stripper deck) that use subtle differences like this to do card tricks with.

2. The cards are all the same dimensions as the originals.

3. The new flare cards have the same pattern on the back, but the ink is slightly fainter. It can easily go unnoticed, but if you are aware of it and want to notice it, it's not hard.

4. The orange destiny cards have the same back as the originals, but again it's slightly fainter. Since the dominant color is black, it's a little easier to notice than with the flares.

5. The rewards deck has a very different back from the other main cards -- same pattern, but all purple rather than purple and orange.

6. The fronts of the rewards cards have coloring schemes which are different from but similar to their corresponding original cards -- attack, negotiate, artifact.

And here is my response, in somewhat reverse order:

5: I approve, since it adds a deliberate extra level of tactical decisions, as people have discussed already.

6: I approve. The cards's type is easily recognizable, but you can still easily tell which of your cards came from the rewards deck without checking the back.

3&4: Somewhat dismaying, but reminiscent of the original Eon days where the expansions' cards were easily discernible from the originals. The difference is not as big now, but I do wish it were nonexistent. I'll just live with it, since I have to.

2. I'm very glad, because the alternative is intolerable, since those cards have to be shuffled together.

1. I'm puzzled, mildly annoyed, but not too dismayed because I can fix it: carefully using a paper cutter to trim the new cards to the old size (as I did with Munchkin Cthulhu Cursed Demo, whose cards were slightly larger than in Munchkin Cthulhu), and then using a corner rounder.

0. For me, these are overall minor annoyances, and I'm looking forward to playing with all the cool stuff in this expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Orbán
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Opaque back sleeves could be a solution for the orange destiny cards and for the entire cosmic deck (personally i don't like these kind of sleeves), crappy printing is very annoying especially when a publisher like FFG has a well known reputation, but anyway those cards are still playable. Different alien sheets are also nerve-racking but they don't have to be unrecognizable from the back, so they are also playable.

But anyway, you are right, modest components makes a game cheap-jack and disappointing. I think you had bad luck, maybe your copy is one of the first which was rolled down from the production line and the printers and other machines (???) had't been adjusted correctly. I think its worth a complaint at the publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it (and my understanding is admittedly very limited), it can be very difficult to get identical components from separate print runs...Anyone remember Talisman 2nd Ed.? Anyway, that's really too bad if they're noticeably different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
1A. The new power sheets have square corners instead of round in the base set.

Your base set aliens have rounded corners?!? Is this the case for anyone else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NeonPeon wrote:
As I understand it (and my understanding is admittedly very limited), it can be very difficult to get identical components from separate print runs...

As I actually witness it in the real world, many companies have absolutely no problem with it.

Look, most of us like FFG (I certainly do) and wish them well, but this is shoddy, and they should be called on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
Barliman wrote:
1A. The new power sheets have square corners instead of round in the base set.

Your base set aliens have rounded corners?!? Is this the case for anyone else?

Oops, sorry. My wife loves to round corners for such things, and I forgot it didn't start that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
but didn't you already see the components here?
They look like they come out of a chewing gum machine at the corner store...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waddball wrote:
NeonPeon wrote:
As I understand it (and my understanding is admittedly very limited), it can be very difficult to get identical components from separate print runs...

As I actually witness it in the real world, many companies have absolutely no problem with it.

Look, most of us like FFG (I certainly do) and wish them well, but this is shoddy, and they should be called on it.

Okay -- have you actually seen these cards yet, or are you just reacting to Bill's post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Okay -- have you actually seen these cards yet, or are you just reacting to Bill's post?

I'm reacting to Bill's and Bryan Stout's posts. I have not yet seen the cards myself. I understand some people may not care about these things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen a lot of games and expansions from a lot of companies, and I have yet to see two that were printed perfectly with identical colors. I have Dominion cards from the same box that have very slight variations. It isn't a perfect science. I'm sure Bill can scan a comparison of the quality for his stuff... I can say that mine is close enough for government work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waddball wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

I'm reacting to Bill's and Bryan Stout's posts. I have not yet seen the cards myself. I understand some people may not care about these things.

It's not even about caring or not caring. Since a few of us have actually seen the cards, played with the cards, and not even noticed the difference, I'm just saying let's hold off on handing out the pitchforks and torches just yet. ;-)

I hope Bill finds out he just got a funky copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gorney
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I received my copy yesterday from my FLGS, and there are some problems with mine as well.

The Alien Power sheets- At first glance they seemed fine; however, once I finished unpackaging them I noticed that they were ever-so-slightly larger than the original Alien sheets. The difference is very small, about 1-2mm, but it is noticeable when the cards are all mixed together. Also, the new Alien sheets seemed very warped. Locust and Symbiote, in particular, are noticeably curved, even after a session under a big pile of heavy books. Looking at the pile of Alien sheets from the side, it is painfully apparent where Symbiote is due to the ridiculous curvature of the card. Hopefully continued Encylopedia-pile-therapy will fix this.

While annoying, the problems with the Alien sheets aren't unbearable, and, thankfully, don't interfere with regular game play.

I didn't notice the Destiny card backing right away. After reading this thread I shuffled them together and did some tests; unfortunately, I have to agree. It is possible to reliably and easily distinguish an Orange destiny card (the art on the back is noticeably lighter) even when sitting at a reasonable distance in moderate lighting. Sleeves are needed.

It's unfortunate that the components have problems. This expansion is excellent otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dgorney wrote:
...Also, the new Alien sheets seemed very warped. Locust and Symbiote, in particular, are noticeably curved, even after a session under a big pile of heavy books. Looking at the pile of Alien sheets from the side, it is painfully apparent where Symbiote is due to the ridiculous curvature of the card. Hopefully continued Encylopedia-pile-therapy will fix this.

Mine were not warped, so this is not a universal problem like the coloring seems to be. Maybe it was how the shrinkwrap grabbed the cards in your copy.

If I had your curved cards, I would fix them by bending them the other direction -- holding both ends of a card while carefully pulling it across the edge of a table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Nadler
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand...if the printing quality is so poor that you can't use the expansion with the base game and you are not happy with the purchase, why don't you contact 1) FFG's customer support group and ask them to replace the expansion because the one you received is unacceptable or 2) the game store you ordered it from and tell them the same thing.

If you can get someone on the phone, that is your best answer. For all you know, they may be aware of a poor print run and be willing to swap it out - no questions asked.

Your game store works with a supplier who buys directly from FFG, if your game store does not. They should be able to take it back and get it swapped out for you. That is what an honorable store would do if they want you to return as a customer.

I have personally seen suppliers replace games that were poorly printed or screwed up - they might even pay for your second round of shipping to make it so.

I had a copy of Middle Earth Quest that was delivered with broken figs. FFG replaced the entire set with no problem. I have lost pieces and had Rio Grande replace them for the cost of shipping ($2.00).

By the way, this does not work if you don't like the game - only poor product packaging or misprints and the like.

There is no reason to accept poor printing from your game store.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
I hope Bill finds out he just got a funky copy.

I hope so too, but so far this thread doesn't give me a lot of hope for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bustoffson wrote:
I have seen a lot of games and expansions from a lot of companies, and I have yet to see two that were printed perfectly with identical colors. I have Dominion cards from the same box that have very slight variations. It isn't a perfect science.

I've never seen any differences at all in Dominion (I have all three), and this is the first I've heard of it (I think there would have been an uproar had it been a noteworthy problem).

Which is not to say that it doesn't ever happen, but that's kind of the point: if some companies can get it right, all companies should follow whatever "best practices" they're using. Esp. a company like FFG that does a lot of print runs and prints a lot of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I double-checked my copy tonight. The alien cards in my set are so close to the original that I'm not sure there's any difference. A handful might be less than 1mm wider, but others are exactly the same size as CE ones. Seriously, if the sleeves from the guy overseas are so tight that they can't take a millimeter or less of variance, something's wrong.

I do see that the ink on the orange Destiny cards isn't quite as
saturated as the others. When I shuffle them and riff through them looking for the difference, it's not very easy to see. If I stare right at them from 6 inches away, I'm pretty good at telling the backs apart. Across the table, in normal light, I can't really tell. In play, we didn't notice whatsoever.

Knowing printing presses, I would not be at all surprised if some people's copies are printed lighter than mine. That's not how you want it to happen, but it does. It's possible that FFG can reprint the orange destiny cards to match the older ones (depends on how the printing sheets were set up, I guess). I imagine that folks from FFG are reading this thread; hopefully someone from there will be able to tell us what's possible.

For my part, it's easy enough for me to deal with for the time being. There are any number of ways you can conceal the top of the Destiny deck if need be--deal from the bottom, put an extra Flare on top and deal from under that, whatever. Not ideal, but workable.

If my copy is typical, though, I suspect that most people are going to be too busy with the game to really notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.