Arkham Horror» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Turning A Foregone Conclusion Into An Epic Struggle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Eihort

Marie
Rex
Mark
Wilson

As Wilson Richards stepped off the platform at the train station, he had a premonition that even if the rumours he heard about Arkham were true, everything would turn out all right. Lying at his feet was a brand-new, crisp $2 bill.

With a motorcycle and his new-found boon, he raced to The Magic Shoppe, where he met Marie Lambeau. She convinced him that she can help the cause immensely if he can only give her a short-term loan of the $6 he possesses. Although she's a complete stranger to him, her earnest demeanor convinces him to trust her. (He never gets the money back).

Marie proceeds to buy Find Gate and Withering spells. More importantly, with gates opening up all over Arkham, she is able to slow down the arrival of Eihort, while at the same time adding to her treasure trove of spells, now at seven.

Rex Murphy, by this time, has accumulated enough information to attack a maniac, which he barely defeats, and enters Yuggoth at Independence Square. Previously, he had been surrounded by a magical energy while on Unvisited Isle. Unfortunately, the gate to the Abyss that he succeeded in eliminating only opened to the aforementioned Yuggoth (-2/-2). He was immediately confronted by a zombie, but took that out with no problem.

Rather than being attacked further, he is able to ignore the possibility of having to face yet another monster (don't remember the Unique Item's name) and is instead delayed. This delay makes all the difference as a seventh gate opens in Arkham.

(Note: At this point, I invoke my special rule while playing solo that there must have been played at least twelve Mythos. This is to the physically-immune Eihort's advantage, as the investigators have two Enchanted Knives, an Enchanted Blade, a Sword of Glory and Wither, Shrivelling and Dread Curse of Azathoth spells).

Mark has,meanwhile, despatched a witch and entered Dreamlands at
the Esoteric Order of Dagon in Innsmouth. Having been delayed once and failing his first closure attempt, Rex and Mark seal their respective gates simutaneously.

With a Lloigor and Star Spawn camped out in French Hill, Marie is forced to take the long way around in an attempt to gather the few remaining clues at Hibb's. She is attacked by Barnabus Marsh first and then blocked by a cultist; but, she succeeds in eliminating them both before gathering the clues and then being driven to Marsh Refinery from the Train Station by Bill Washington, where she enters City of the Great Race.

After sealing, Rex, with French Hill still blocked, decided to stop at The Science Building on his way to the Church. He walked in on a professor of alchemy, who immediately snatched up an odd-looking icon and began chanting, lifting Rex's curse.

No longer requiring Father Michael's services, he stops at The Historical Society to do some research and is offered a ride to The Black Cave by Cindy Fleming, which he gladly accepts, entering The Great Hall of Celeano.

Hearing rumours of information to be had on Devil Reef and Y'ha Nthlei, Mark stays in Innsmouth. He travels to Devil Reef, but for reasons he couldn't have explained himself, he rides what he finds out later was a coffin back to Falcon Point.

Wilson has fortunately travelled to Innsmouth to pay Mark's passage back and is able to loan out yet another dollar so that he can pay be at Falcon Point when Mark is ready to return. While in Y'ha Nthlei, Mark sneaks to the far side of the cave he has entered and finds himself in R'lyeh, to which there was an open gate in the Woods.

Rex returns to Arkham, seals The Black Cave and proceeds to evade monsters lining the streets until he is able to reach the hospital for healing and, from there to The Science Building for further information.

The struggle for survival took a devastating turn for the worse. Upon returning to Innsmouth, Marie succeeded in sealing the fourth gate, but was tracked down and devoured by Eihort. Moments later, Mark pushed himself to the limits of his endurance . . . and beyond. He, too, was devoured.

(Note: Marie's doom was sealed when she was forced to eliminate the cultist in the Easttown Streets. Having collected her second Brood token upon sealing the gate, she proceeded to throw a one.

Mark, on the other hand, was extremely confident of survival with six stamina. He should have seen the look on his own face when he discovered he wasn't as strong as he thought). (Six dice, no successes . . . four ones. Ouch!)

Charlie Kane and Jacqueline Fine were more than ready, willing and able
to replace them, and did so in grand style. Charlie was trapped in The Administration Building, but refused to be cowed. He could only enter Miskatonic University Streets with the Shoggoth, but succeeded in evading it, being armed only with a .45 automatic.

While there, however, he was also attacked by a gug, which was slightly more aware of what was going on, forcing him to fight. With very little chance of success, his three shots were to the most vital areas of the gug's anatomy. (Four dice . . . three hits). Rex soon joined him, handed him an Enchanted Knife and a Wither spell, and soon the Shoggoth was added to Charlie's bag of trophies.

Jacqueline spent her first moments as part of the investigative team shopping in The Curiosity Shoppe. She immediately snagged the Elder Sign and wasted no time in getting to Easttown, unable to take the shortcut through Merchant District, since the gug had still been there at that time.

Just as she was about to enter Plateau of Leng, a shoggoth emerged and attacked her. She expertly dodged its attempt to destroy her and entered the gate.

(Note: She had one die to evade, succeeded, and two more one-die skill checks while in Plateau of Leng, which would have severely hampered her, which she also passed).

Flush from his victories, Charlie then went to The Curiosity Shoppe, where he purchased a Silver Key. He then joined Rex at The Newspaper and handed him the Key, in the event Rex, who now had enough information to close out Eihort, would not have to fight his way through Another Dimension, which he entered at Unnameable.

Jacqueline sealed the Graveyard, but had to wait until Wilson had cleared out the Shoggoth. Earlier, he had defeated yet another Shoggoth with The Flute of the Outer Gods, which he had picked up for a song before every arriving in Arkham.

The followers of Eihort launched their Great Ritual, but it was too little, much too late. Rex had no Other World encounters that were the least bit threatening in any way and easily ended the threat to the world.

(Note: Because the doom track went up so fast, I forgot until later that I should have been making evade checks. This had no bearing on the game, though, as Mark was never anywhere but the three immune areas and I could have done the same with Wilson. It became a moot point with Mark, in any event).

(This was a nice change of pace using my special rule. Many times, more gates keep opening or there are still seven -- although, some of them may be different -- by the time turn twelve comes along).

(Replacements Charlie Kane and Jacqueline Fine really came through in the clutch in avenging their friends).

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report! Eihort is one of the GOOs that actually creeps me out the most. Probably because of the whole spawn planting thing. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report, indeed. I've got the base A.H. and Curse of the Dark Pharo expansion. I've been looking at the Dunwich Horror and the Innsmouth Horror for a future addition, but cannot decide which to get. I've seen conflicting opinions as to which is the better expansion. I've read both stories from Lovecraft and each is great. I'm sure to like whichever expansion I get next, though. I"ve seen a lot of A.H. fans advise to stay away from Kingsport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you for the kind words.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.