Runewars» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Runewars -Inspired to make my second review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I have to admit I was both excited by and scared of this game when I first heard about it.

Excited... have you LOOKED at it? It is by far the prettiest game I have ever seen. A Fantasy Empire building strategy game with 4 unique sides (Just like the ridiculously perfrect Chaos in the Old World), random map creation, awesome components, a Twilight Imperium like game that claims to last only around 3 hours... whats not to love? Oh yeah, its got 3-D frakkin' MOUNTAINS!!!! Just like the GAME OF LIFE!

Scared... Isnt this the company that made Twilight Imperium... the monstrosity of a game I will never be able to play because it takes up to 9 hours to play. It's also based on the world of Descent... a game both amazing and horrible to behold. This company has also made Warhammer Invasion, a great game that is crippled by terrible rule support and poorly written cards (no FAQ yet despite dozens of ambiguous card interactions and interpretations and going on its third expansion... I can no longer remember the answers to all of the rule debates that rage nonstop on the FFG Warhammer Invasion forum. This game is impossible to play correctly)

and it costs 100$... yup... 100$, unless of course you are smart enough to buy it online in such a way as to get free shipping, in which case it only costs 60$... Stick it to the greedy privately owned game store that wants to charge me almost TWICE as much money! plus tax!

Well, being the impulse buyer that I am, I ordered it before any real reviews came out, knowing that I just HAD to have it.
Despite my opinions of the support for Warhammer Invasion and the Descent and TI behemoths, I have many fantasy flight games, and like them all... even descent.

Before it arrived, though, reviews began to trickle in at BBG that were surprisingly average... some even negative. I began to worry.
Should I have instead spent that 60$ to get my dying father a new kidney, or perhaps purchase shoes for my starving, frostbitten children? More and more mediocre reviews continued to arrive, but I ignored the hungry, pleading eyes of my wretches and the weak moans of my father, knowing I had done the right thing. This was Fantasy Flight Games, and they know HOW to produce a game!, I told myself.

and boy I was right.

This game is awesome. Right out of the box it blows you away. This game is gorgeous... more beautiful than either my wife or first born child! The rule book was well written (much better than the bible or koran), and we were quickly able to get into the game. As soon as the game came out, a FAQ was available clarifying a few points (cough cough... Warhammer Invasion... you cruel bitch). Also, and most awesomely, there were some printing errors on a few of the components, so they added (in the original game) replacement parts. Now I have extra pieces in case I lose some! Granted, there is still a typo involving two of the hexes which say 2 Giants but really only have one Giant... but this is a small thing, and explained in the FAQ.

I have played it only 3 times so far, but each time lasted less than 3 hours (even with teaching new players each time). The game goes quickly, divided into seasons, with each person simultaneously choosing orders, and then invidually carrying out these orders. Designed as it is, there is little down time, unlike going to your kids' talent show or graduation, or your father's impending funeral... sigh.

The gameplay is fun, the choices are difficult but intriguing, the battles... better than any other board game I can think of (Im looking at you axis and allies!!! how the hell does a tank kill a bomber?). The factions are different, interesting and balanced, requiring different strategies to succeed, but lots of flexibility... much like my first true love Chaos in the Old World... I would marry you if I could... if only my wife wasn't so healthy...

But the unwashed masses cry "What about the heroes? Everyones complaining about the heroes..."
seriously, in a game pitting armies against armies, how the hell is a single thief or warrior, or some douche with a PET FERRET supposed to interact with ARMIES!? They ARENT!
Heroes are SUPPOSED to quest, and armies are SUPPOSED to battle. I like the hero mechanic. I think it is cool and important to winning the game, giving you additional options and occasionally a small effect on battles (a few of the heroes can destroy some units, and they can scout out runes). But it is not overdone or overly complicated. We are NOT playing Descent with armies and kingdoms. These heroes are NOT generals or leaders... they are mercenaries and adventurers playing a small but important role in their kingdom.

And the wretched scream out "But the tactic cards are weak.... I dont like them... they make me cry..."

Wrong... those cards are awesome! These sneaky cards allow you to create traps and awesome combos that will castrate your enemies, make their children weap and wives throw themselves from the ramparts of their burning strongholds. Influence and tactics are two complementary AND antagonistic strategies. There are tactics cards that will counter the various advantages of influence, and vice versa. Influence is more straight forward, tactics more sneaky, but both are good.

Throw in unique secret objectives and quests, blinding auctioning, an elegant order system, random season effects, and false dragon runes, and you got one awesome game that has taken some of the best mechanics from games like Game of Thrones, Twilight Imperium, Chaos in the Old World, Conquest of the Empire, and made a uniquely awesome and playable game.

And just when you were ready to pry those gold fillings out of your mothers teeth to get some cash to buy this game... theres more!

Runewars gives you optional ways to enrich and expand your game. Exploration markers add a whole new level to the game, and give players who want a larger role for the heroes, well, a larger role for the heroes. There is an epic mode which makes the game more... epic. This game is also DICELESS with a Fate card mechanic that I bet many games will begin to emulate.

But no game is perfect (except for Chaos in the Old World), and there are a few small problems.

1) you cant let Runewar off the hook for the typos, I guess... even if they did replace most of the components
2) The neutral forces/diplomacy mechanic seems a bit off, since it is technically just as easy to diplomacize 8 neutrals as it is one neutral, or 3 giants and 3 dragons as it is one beastman. Neutrals are not supposed to be a real dominating force, but this is an issue just BEGGING for houses rules... rules I have been mulling around in my own brain case.
3) In the regular game, it seems like the game ends a few turns too soon. 6 dragon runes can be claimed without a lot of conflict between players in many games. Thats why I think playing to 7 runes, or using the epic rules will make for more player interaction. The regular rules, however, may appeal to players that prefer less overall aggression.
4) The 3D mountains don't "Snap" into place like described in the rulebook.... I was promised a SNAP and the mountains really dont stick into the hexes in any way...
5) The hero quests could be improved by adding some quests with choices (perhaps the hero can choose to take wounds instead of testing a skill, or incorporate difficult decisions or options... Do you want to save the child from the ogre (change alignment, get some influence) or go for the chest? (change alignment, get a reward).)

Overall

Awesome game.. I give it a 9/10. (would have gotten a 9.5 without the typos, and a 10 if they come up with some way to make diplomacizing more or stronger neutrals a little more difficult).

this game begs for an expansion, and will get an 11 when it comes out with new factions, hexes, tactic cards, objectives, quests, heros and neutrals. Knowing FFG it WILL get an expansion... I bet my grandma's wheelchair!

Tell your dad to go drive himself to dialysis, your kids to stop crying about their frostbitten toes, and your wife to go hock her wedding ring cuz you wanna PLAY RUNEWARS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
how the hell is a single thief or warrior, or some douche with a PET FERRET supposed to interact with ARMIES!?

Yup, as every fantasy nerd knows, it takes TWO pet ferrets to accomplish anything...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure Piko's a Civet. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Oppermann
Germany
Kaiserslautern
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
most entertaining review so far ! FFG should hire you! I hope you are right about all that stuff... its february and i still havent heard from my preordered runewars angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burgess
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! Very entertaining to read and I was laughing out loud several times.

mateooo wrote:
The neutral forces/diplomacy mechanic seems a bit off, since it is technically just as easy to diplomacize 8 neutrals as it is one neutral, or 3 giants and 3 dragons as it is one beastman. Neutrals are not supposed to be a real dominating force, but this is an issue just BEGGING for houses rules... rules I have been mulling around in my own brain case.

I agree with you about the diplomacy. I like the fact that there is political power in the game and that you can use diplomacy to make neutral units join your cause, but having a single "good" fate card persuade multiple neutral units to join your army is too easy. This could be improved.

mateooo wrote:
But the unwashed masses cry "What about the heroes? Everyones complaining about the heroes..."
seriously, in a game pitting armies against armies, how the hell is a single thief or warrior, or some douche with a PET FERRET supposed to interact with ARMIES!? They ARENT!
Heroes are SUPPOSED to quest, and armies are SUPPOSED to battle. I like the hero mechanic. I think it is cool and important to winning the game, giving you additional options and occasionally a small effect on battles (a few of the heroes can destroy some units, and they can scout out runes). But it is not overdone or overly complicated. We are NOT playing Descent with armies and kingdoms. These heroes are NOT generals or leaders... they are mercenaries and adventurers playing a small but important role in their kingdom.

I really enjoy the heroes as well. There are some interesting strategic things that can be done with the right tactics cards and other game elements, and I have only seen a handful of the tactics cards so far. I have not come anywhere close to seeing them all! While I would like to see the heroes have the ability to do a little bit more, I do not want the pacing of this game to slow down. I like how quick the game plays, given the fact that the game is on such a big, epic scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mateooo wrote:
But no game is perfect (except for Chaos in the Old World)

I think CitOW is a great game, after one play. However, broken components (3 of the Cultists' staves and one of the warriors head was off) make it sub-perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
oooh, you got me. Those damn banners do break off!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
how the hell is a single thief or warrior, or some douche with a PET FERRET supposed to interact with ARMIES!?

Yeah, they're only good for saving the world from swarms of cultist legions, invasions of Ogre Kings, or world-ending cataclysms. How could they ever deal with a bunch of frightened farmers drafted from their fields and equipped with whatever panoply they could buy in bulk?

But yeah agree with all the rest, especially the battles and the cards. I have never had a more difficult decision in a game than deciding where to apply casualties in the first round or when to use a card. I mourn for the loss of dice but the cards really make the battles an intense fare.

edit: to the person who hasn't seen them all, I have no idea how that could be. We've almost run through the deck twice, they are crucial to winning! Last game I went through nearly 16 myself (but I was humans and got 6 from the horsemen, which was awesome).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Kodo and Podo; ferrets to fear.

C
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they should have put destiny symbols in each of the four sections of the cards. Then you can have different diplomacy probability depending on the unit type!

That way a stronger unit type can be harder to convince than lower ones.

If you have multiple unit types in one region, simply take the unit type of the strongest unit. The thematic reason is that the strongest unit is the "leader" therefore if you can't convince him, he can order his servants to attack you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
I think they should have put destiny symbols in each of the four sections of the cards. Then you can have different diplomacy probability depending on the unit type!

If you have multiple unit types in one region, simply take the unit type of the strongest unit. The thematic reason is that the strongest unit is the "leader" therefore if you can't convince him, he can order his servants to attack you.

That, my friend, is a fantastic idea. wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
what a great idea! sheesh... wish i thought of it.

things we considered were to adjust diplomacy....

1) draw diplomacy cards for each type of neutral in a zone, separately. so you might get some, and not get others.
2) draw 1 more diplomacy card if you have more units than there are neutrals, and draw one less diplomacy if you have less units. Consider dragons and giants as more than one unit, in this regard (either two or three...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:

In your honour:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/491220/potential-variant...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. Played my first game today (finally) and was very impressed. BTW, I think Piko is a Red Panda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them!"
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right! Red panda is it. Though in my defense, they look a bit similar to civets if you're not familiar with them. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Auston
United States
Liverpool,
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pico is the douche with a pet human
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mateooo wrote:
Stick it to the greedy privately owned game store that wants to charge me almost TWICE as much money! plus tax!

I seriously hope you are stating this in jest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burgess
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
edit: to the person who hasn't seen them all, I have no idea how that could be. We've almost run through the deck twice, they are crucial to winning! Last game I went through nearly 16 myself (but I was humans and got 6 from the horsemen, which was awesome).

The group I play with started our first game last Saturday and only got through year 3, so we are halfway through the game. We are finishing the game this coming Saturday. I have only seen maybe 10 or 12 tactics cards so far. I'm sure by the time we end the game I will have seen nearly all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Brett_B wrote:
The group I play with started our first game last Saturday and only got through year 3, so we are halfway through the game. We are finishing the game this coming Saturday. I have only seen maybe 10 or 12 tactics cards so far. I'm sure by the time we end the game I will have seen nearly all of them.

Okay that makes way more sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should we worry for your wife?

Just kidding. Great review, this game needed some positive vibes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But no game is perfect (except for Chaos in the Old World), and there are a few small problems.

You get thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Descent... a game both amazing and horrible to behold

Best one-line description of Descent yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mateooo wrote:

These sneaky cards allow you to create traps and awesome combos that will castrate your enemies, make their children weap and wives throw themselves from the ramparts of their burning strongholds.

Do the undead have wives?

The undead skeleton archer returned home at the end of a days work at the archery range and announced, "Honeybones, I'm home."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill D.
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if he's talking about Ronan the Wild from Runebound, since they use them here, but she's a red panda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwquinn wrote:
mateooo wrote:

These sneaky cards allow you to create traps and awesome combos that will castrate your enemies, make their children weap and wives throw themselves from the ramparts of their burning strongholds.

Do the undead have wives?

The undead skeleton archer returned home at the end of a days work at the archery range and announced, "Honeybones, I'm home."

...and was saddened when he realized they were having brains again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.