Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Foster
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I organize meetups for “Heavier Gaming” for my gaming group. We define these events as for playing games that are beyond the gateway or intermediate stage but not too long/intense. Games should have some sort of strategic element to be included but not require learning a 200 page manual and 10 hours to play.

For the most part, the people who show up have a decent amount of gaming experience. Occasionally, we do get newbies, but the core group all have BGG accounts.

Since we’ve moved the location of the meetups to public locations, I’m trying to limit games from my collection to two duffle bags. In that limited space, I want to have a good amount of variety and be able to accommodate 2 – 6 players at the same time. If more show up, we can separate into multiple simultaneous games.

I working on putting together my permanent game list and thought that I’d get the opinion of some geeks out there. What do you think of my list? Anything you’d leave at home? Are there any games that I simply must buy? Any of the ones on my Maybe list that should definitely be included? Keep in mind that the Weight is based on dividing Heavier Games into 3 sections – Light, Moderate, and Heavy – not in comparison to games that don’t make the list.

I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Definitely In:

Age of Mythology:

BGG Rank – 999
Max Number of Players – 4
Playtime – 180min
Category – Resource/Building/War
Weight – Moderate
Why Included – Personal favorite, love the rock-paper-scissors battle mechanic

Bang:

BGG Rank – 333
Max Number of Players – 7
Playtime – 30min
Category – Card
Weight – Light
Why Included – Small box really doesn’t take up much room

Dominion:

BGG Rank – 6
Playtime – 30min
Category – Card
Weight – Light
Why Included – Fills nice niche time wise; easy to teach; scales well for 2, 3, or 4 players

Endeavor:

BGG Rank – 35
Max Number of Players – 5
Playtime – 90min
Category – Area Control
Weight – Moderate
Why Included – Limited number of plays but quickly becoming personal favorite

Pandemic:

BGG Rank – 22
Playtime – 60min
Category – Cooperative
Weight – Moderate
Why Included – Cooperative games not a personal favorite but Pandemic not too bad, good for variety

Power Grid:

BGG Rank – 4
Max Number of Players – 6
Playtime – 120min
Category – Card
Weight – Heavy
Why Included – Strong strategic game, group favorite, scales well for 3-6 players

Race for the Galaxy with Gathering Storm:

BGG Rank – 12
Playtime – 60min
Category – Card
Weight – Moderate
Why Included – Good strategic depth, scales great for 2-5 players, fills nice niche time wise

Shark:

BGG Rank – 689
Playtime – 90min
Category – Stock
Weight – Light
Why Included – Personal favorite, good for variety, scales well with 2-6 players

Shogun:

BGG Rank – 23
Max Number of Players – 5, plays best with 4 or 5
Playtime – 150min
Category – Economic/Wargame
Weight – Heavy
Why Included – Strong strategic game, group favorite, everyone likes the tower

Stone Age:

BGG Rank – 26
Playtime – 60min
Category – Worker Placement
Weight – Light
Why Included – Fills nice niche time wise; personal favorite; easy to teach; scales well for 2, 3, or 4 players

Tigris and Euphrates:

BGG Rank – 8
Playtime – 90min
Category – Tile
Weight – Heavy
Why Included – Nice strategic element, group favorite

Definitely Out:

Dominion Intrigue:

BGG Rank – NA
Max Number of Players – 4, but expands Dominion to 6
Playtime – 30min
Category – Card
Weight – Light
Why Excluded – Dominion doesn’t hit the table enough to justify taking up two boxes worth of space, could possibly be included if could combine in Dominion box since it expands to 6 player game

On the Fence:

Acquire:

BGG Rank – 67
Playtime – 90min
Category – Stock
Weight – Light
Why – It’s a classic that a lot of people really love. On the other hand, it has a serious fault in that some players can spend most of the game with almost nothing to do. It also overlaps a lot with Shark, a game that I like much better.

Conflict of Heroes – Awakening the Bear:

BGG Rank – 32
Playtime – 120min
Category – Wargame
Weight – ?
Why – I recently acquired this one and haven’t played yet. It seems like it would have good strategic depth but not be too complicated.

Galaxy’s Edge:

BGG Rank – 2029
Playtime – 60min
Category – Area Control
Weight – Moderate
Why – I love space themes, but this one seems really abstract to me. Besides, I have other games that play 4 players in an hour on my definitely in list. The fact that you can’t play 2 player also limits its usefulness.

Battlestar Galactica:

BGG Rank – 17
Playtime – 180min
Category – Cooperative with Traitor
Weight – Light
Why – I don’t like cooperative all that much. Besides, this games seems long for the amount of actual strategy required.

Formula D:

BGG Rank – 166
Max Number of Players – 10
Playtime – 60min
Category – Racing
Weight – Light
Why – Formula D is really fun, and, since I’ve never had more than 8 show up at an event, it can handle everyone who attends. It is heavy enough for the event, though?

Roll through the Ages:

BGG Rank – 213
Playtime – 30min
Category – Dice
Weight – ?
Why – I haven’t played it yet. Have no idea.

Ticket to Ride:

BGG Rank – 54
Playtime – 45min
Category – Train
Weight – Light
Why – I have this game because I play it with non-gaming friends/family when they come into town. I’m not sure that it fits in with “Heavier Gaming.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.