Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Dungeon Lords» Forums » Strategy

Subject: "Slime & Defend" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
A powerful combo:

* Monster with a "eat & run" attack, e.g. Vampire, Golem
* One or more tricks that prevent conquering, e.g. Trap Door, Cursed Ring, Slime

By stalling for time, you gain an extra attack with your recycleable monster. The best time stall is the Trap Door: its cheap, and can't be the victim of spells. Cursed Ring is next best - it costs gold and its extra damage will almost certainly be prevented. The worst is the Slime, who can fail hilariously in the face of unknown spells, and who takes a monster slot - which basically means you have to fight in a room. Of course, this is not going to lose you the room next turn, since you can steer the adventurers into an equally-distant hallway instead. That's a mighty handy, if overlooked, rule.


[Apologies if this has been already posted - I'm going write-only on strategy articles until our group learns the game naturally.]
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Grey Dolphin Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The damage won't mean a thing if there's a healer in the group. No fatigue plus healing (since vampire or golem hits every round during your strategy) means all you are doing is delaying conquering from a completely healthy party.

The Delay tactic is viable, but scores no points for dead adventurers. If you can make a kill, though, it is great.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually had this scenario last night in a game -- it was the first year and I had managed to pull 2 priests and the Paladin. Luckily, I had two Trap doors, and I was able to delay the destruction of my dungeon.

The Vampire I had was able to kill the Paladin after he took the first 2 fatigue in the 3rd conquering round, after I used my two Trap doors to delay as long as possible. The other adventurers ran free, but the Paladin did die. Still, I was lucky to have the two trap doors.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
bungeeboy wrote:
The damage won't mean a thing if there's a healer in the group.
You're distoring the criterion there. I'm not sure if you're doing it for dramatic effect, or because you really don't understand.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
bungeeboy wrote:
The damage won't mean a thing if there's a healer in the group.
You're distoring the criterion there. I'm not sure if you're doing it for dramatic effect, or because you really don't understand.


I don't think he gets your point. Delay tactics work great if you have a vamp or golem in the group especially. Not a huge fan of the slime, but I do love the trap door.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what Eric was trying to say is that there are basically three things that can happen during the battle phase:

1) One or more tiles of your dungeon are conquered (-2 to -16 points)
2) One or more adventurers are captured (+2 to +11 points)
3) Nothing is conquered and no adventurer is captured

Of course, for a player the best possible outcome is no tiles conquered and all adventurers and a paladin captured. That gives you 11 points and prevents you from losing up to 16 points (in case of 4 rooms being conquered, unlikely but maybe possible).

Now, if you play to only prevent conquering you may not get any points from adventurers. Lets compare the following situations:

Player A loses two tunnels (-4) and captures all three adventurers (+6)
Player B loses no tunnels or room and does not capture anyone (+0)

So, player A, despite losing two tunnels in fact gained two more points during the battle phase.

Short version:

Playing defensive might not be a good idea if you can not take any adventurers down, because you will not be gaining points.This can easily happen because when you prevent conquering you also prevent fatigue. Any priests can then usually heal most damage you've caused - especially in year two.

Of course, if your only other option is to get conquered without capturing adventurers playing defense is perfectly viable.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like a trap delay with a dragon best. Everyone taking damage, no healing, no conquering. Then follow on in a room with a couple of monsters to take out the group if possible. But it does boil down to a net vp gain of prison points vs tile loss.

I love the slime as an upgrade path to the demon.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
@Markus: If that's the case, then he is indeed missing the point. A multi-round combat multiplies the value of an "eat and run" monster, precisely because you're not giving ground to get more damage output.

What he actually literally said was that "eat and run" monsters were worthless if there was a priest in the party. That's only true sometimes, if the math works out against you. But usually you have more damage output than they have hearts. Sometimes by a lot.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
DeePee wrote:

Player A loses two tunnels (-4) and captures all three adventurers (+6)
Player B loses no tunnels or room and does not capture anyone (+0)

So, player A, despite losing two tunnels in fact gained two more points during the battle phase.

2 Tunnels which he can't use anymore, but still get taxed, that count as penalties for the Battlelord title, and if you built a Room early, leave you with minimal expendable buffer tiles between your Room and more conquering. All that, AND -4 VPs.

Here is what can prevent conquering:
Round 1: 2 Slimes
Round 2: 1 Slime, 2 Demons (which can 1shot adventurers AND stall)
Traps: Cursed Ring and Trap Door, which represent 2/9s of all traps. However, other Traps are good when used in conjunction with delay tactics anyways.

Overall, I'd say that a "stall" strategy is doable, but is highly dependent on the game flow. If you want to do it, you really need to grab both Slimes during Round 1, and then get another Slime/Demon Round 2, then spend the rest of your time grabbing Traps. If you get Cursed Ring or Trap Door, you get 0-1 conquered tiles, if you get others, you get 1-2 conquered tiles, but the traps+fatigue will probably nail one adventurer.

The big thing is that Slimes and Traps are cheap (1 Food and 1 Money apiece), even though they are able to break even on Adventurers, even against STRONG adventurers. I'd avoid attracting strong adventurers until you know for sure that you got both Slimes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
Tonight I went with a "slime only" strategy in the first year. I had two slimes and two Cursed Rings. We just completely bonked the adventurers in the first year, although we captured none of them.

In the second year, I added a Dragon, a Golem, and an Anti-Magic room in the entrance to my dungeon. Plus I was knee deep in traps thanks to the factory. The only problem was I couldn't draw the Paladin! However, the invaders couldn't even take 1 tile of my dungeon. I completely stuffed them with a slime and 5 traps not even committed to battle. Strategy worked fine!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Wilson
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
Tonight I went with a "slime only" strategy in the first year. I had two slimes and two Cursed Rings. We just completely bonked the adventurers in the first year, although we captured none of them.

In the second year, I added a Dragon, a Golem, and an Anti-Magic room in the entrance to my dungeon. Plus I was knee deep in traps thanks to the factory. The only problem was I couldn't draw the Paladin! However, the invaders couldn't even take 1 tile of my dungeon. I completely stuffed them with a slime and 5 traps not even committed to battle. Strategy worked fine!

That's one I haven't seen anyone do yet.

How did your final score measure up? I've found that my captured adventurers generally comprise a large portion of my total points.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
Eh, I don't really recommend "Slime and Wait for them to Leave". Those traps cost a lot. I could have used the slimes offensively and killed 2-3 adventurers with fatigue, probably losing 0-1 tiles.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, repeater monsters (Vampire/Golem), plus conquering prevention (Demon/Slime/TrapDoor/CursedRing) is a good combo that can enable you to kill adventurers with less loss of tiles.

I find that this strategy works very well against adventurer sets with no priests (which just wreck the vampire).

This is my favored strategy for killing non-priest groups.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
Its also boss for stealing a severely beaten-up paladin, since you're not bleeding evil and everyone else is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.