Subject: Space Hulk...Missing Dice. Worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Li
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Hey guys, I recently have an opportunity to purchase a copy of Space Hulk, used, sans dice, for $105. Is it worth it? Will this hurt the resale value at all? (not that I plan to sell it, but it's nice to know.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice are just dice. Yes I know they aren't pure white dice but some fancy design stuff instead. But who cares. Either way, you want to buy this to play, not to resell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Li
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I'm still wondering if it's worth it at the price being offered without the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the game OK. Some missions are clearly broken as some geeks have found out. People tell me Doom is a better game.

The components are great, except for the timer (low quality) and the dice (just normal dice).

I have heard rumors about a reprint in normal quality instead of the luxury quality. This will hurt the resale value, if it comes. It may happen or not... GW will do what they think will make money.

Stepping on the miniatures, breaking the antenna of the CAT or losing the little chalice will hurt the resale value. Painting will hurt the resale value. Actually, punching the game hurts the resale value. Losing the dice will not hurt the resale value noticeably. If you really care: It should be easy to find someone who has sold the miniatures and cardboard sections on ebay and has now some dice left.

Don't expect to make more money with the game than you pay now - so many people bought more than one just to sell it later. If the current price is OK or not can probably be found out by observing ebay for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
The dice are just dice. Yes I know they aren't pure white dice but some fancy design stuff instead. But who cares. Either way, you want to buy this to play, not to resell.

I think what he is saying is that if you want the game and $105 is not too much for it (you are willing to pay that even for a used one) then the dice are pretty irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
I found the game OK. Some missions are clearly broken as some geeks have found out. People tell me Doom is a better game.

What people? have you been hanging out with the tinfoil hat gang? O_o

When it comes to broken quests or horrible imbalance, Doom is the most blatant example I've seen in my entire life. SH certainly isn't 50/50 balanced, but in Doom every single victory I've had felt hollow and meaningless (Since I always played the invader, and, well, it's not much of a victory if it's handed to you on a silver platter every time). Thankfully they fixed most of the more horrible problems in Descent.

But anyway I find it hard to compare them, Doom is more complex (Or rather, more complicated) and takes about 4 times as long, unless the marines die in the second room of course.

As for SH: Well, if you don't mind that it's a product of the evil empire, you'll find that it's a really good game, maybe it's not the be-all-end-all some make it out to be, but there IS a reason it endured for so long.

As for its value, you'll have to decide yourself if it's worth 105$ to you, the missing dice aren't a problem, they're nothing special and I doubt anyone who'd buy an opened copy would care one way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And honestly, I prefer different colored dice (i.e. one color for my bolters, one for melee, one for stealers, etc).

The dice are one area I wish they'dve done something a little more in this version. But it's still a great version. If you like Space Hulk, it's definately worth $105 sans dice.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. S. Higgins
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:

Many of the missions aren't 50/50, but it's intended that you play two games; one as each side.

The winner is the player that performs best overall. If you kill 4/5 Space Marines as Genestealers but the Marines win, then your opponent kills only 2/5 Marines and the Marines win, then you have beaten your opponent.

As for the original post, if you want to try the game, buy it for the $105, but you could end up buying a new copy for about the same price with some shopping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious Gamer
United States
Apple Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple_Man wrote:
I'm still wondering if it's worth it at the price being offered without the dice.

It's worth it! It's freaking worth it! Buy it already! It's just a few frikkin dice that you can replace with a couple dollars. Buy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
mbmbmbmbmb
I jumped off the "Games Workshop Bandwagon" a few years ago, but I did purchase this (I played 2nd) and I do enjoy it. If you like the background stories and fluff and enjoy the GW minis, then go for it, if you are just looking for a good game of this type, there are others you can get.

I am happy with my purchase though.

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A complete SH3E set without dice for $105 is a bargain. You should be able to pick up the original dice with minimal effort. I have seen the bone-colored SH3E dice sold for amounts under $20 on eBay.

Space Hulk First Edition had small red and blue dice. You can purchase these same types of dice from Games Workshop. The description below is from the Games Workshop Web site.

Games Workshop Dice Cube

27 little dice in one big one! The Dice Cube contains all of the dice you'll need to play Warhammer, Warhammer 40,000 and The Lord of The Rings Strategy Battle Game, including an Artillery and Scatter Dice. While the larger plastic dice, they come in, makes a great turn counter.

The Dice Cube consists of one 60mm plastic outer dice containing 27 12mm dice, including one Scatter and one Artillery dice. The dice are available in: red, black, ivory, blue, green or as a mixed colour set, and any one colour variant may be supplied.

* Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours.
* Part Code: 99229999086

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.