Subject: Designer Diary, Expansions, and Complexity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the designer diary and the ways in which the complexity of the game was reduced to make new players not want to give up after a few turns.

However, it seems to me that expansions are a great way to reintroduce those features that were too complex for beginners. This way, experienced players can have more to play with by buying the expansion(s).

Will some of the expansions reintroduce the more complex features which were written out of the original design (like adding cards that introduce more of a deck engine element into the game)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Tardi
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me for what is probably a dumb question...but where did you see a designer's diary?

Thx,
N

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravensson wrote:
Forgive me for what is probably a dumb question...but where did you see a designer's diary?

Thx,
N

From the links section at the bottom of the Thunderstone page -- it's the one one boardgamenews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹɹǝʞ uɐɥʇɐu
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:

Will some of the expansions reintroduce the more complex features which were written out of the original design (like adding cards that introduce more of a deck engine element into the game)?

I think that Mike hinted at that in his article. Ah, here's the line:

Mike's Designer Diary wrote:

They were also just one more thing that was confusing to beginning players, so all of the straight global effects got moved out of the base set.

With the part I bolded, I think it's pretty obvious that Thunderstone will have more complex mechanics in expansions. If you read any of the Dominion diaries, Donald X. did basically the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Tardi
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:
Ravensson wrote:

Thx,
N

From the links section at the bottom of the Thunderstone page -- it's the one one boardgamenews.

Ah...the links.

Thanks.
N

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.