Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has been asked before, but it's a point of debate between myself and my opponent.

If player "A" plays Consume Trade and Player "B" does not play Trade, but has Developments and/or Planets with $ Benefits, does Player "B" get to collect on those Benefits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He would not, except if he has developed Trade League. That development allows him to trade a good without choosing the bonus role card. Further, he could not trade at all even without bonus unless he has Trade League or Black Market Trading World. That lets him trade a good without choosing the phase, but it won't let him apply his bonuses.

He must, however, consume goods for points or cards as defined by the Phase IV powers in his tableau.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
boneroller wrote:
If player "A" plays Consume Trade and Player "B" does not play Trade, but has Developments and/or Planets with $ Benefits, does Player "B" get to collect on those Benefits?

No; $ powers affect only the Consume:Trade *bonus*, which is to sell 1 good for its Trade price in cards before that player uses any Consume powers.

There is one exception, the Trade League's consume power, which allows it to consume 1 good to draw cards equal to its trade value, plus all trade bonuses in its owner's tableau.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Brough
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"Trade" is a bonus for the Consume phase. So when a player selects Consume:Trade, a Consume phase occurs, and that player gets the bonus "Trade".

This bonus consists of a kind of "mini-phase" which occurs before the Consume phase, in which that player must exchange one good for its value in cards, plus any trade bonuses, before the Consume phase occurs. Like any other bonus, it only applies to the player who played it, so no other player trades goods or gets cards from trade bonuses.

The Trade League power is slightly different; it's an ordinary Consume power, so it can be done in any order during the Consume phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
yakfox wrote:
This bonus consists of a kind of "mini-phase" which occurs before the Consume phase [...]

Thanks for responding. A slight quibble -- this Trade step occurs *during* the normal Consume phase for the player calling it, before that player uses any Consume powers. There is no separate Trade "mini-phase" before Consume *as a whole* occurs.

So, the other players (who didn't call Trade) can start Consuming while the players who called Consume:Trade do their trades. If the card supply is low, then players (who want to be precise about card shuffling) do Consume in player order, which can (depending on where the player who called Consume:Trade is in that order) result in that player getting newly shuffled cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buzhannon wrote:
Further, he could not trade at all even without bonus unless he has Trade League or Black Market Trading World.

Just to clarify - these are ordinary consume powers, which technically allow you to consume a good for a number of cards. The number of cards is the same as the base trade value + $ powers (for trade league) or the base trade value only (for black market trading world). I and many other people call this "trading" but it's just a consume power.

Some newer players get confused and intimidated when cards seem to "break the rules", so I just wanted to clear that up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunna wrote:
I and many other people call this "trading" but it's just a consume power.

People probably call it "trading" because it functions like trading and the words "trade" and "trading" are on the cards. I don't think it really helps the noobs to say it's not a trade but it allows you to consume a good for the trade value, since consuming a good for the trade value is what trading does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Stunna wrote:

People probably call it "trading" because it functions like trading and the words "trade" and "trading" are on the cards. I don't think it really helps the noobs to say it's not a trade but it allows you to consume a good for the trade value, since consuming a good for the trade value is what trading does.

Trade powers are not consume powers. There is a distinction. Trade League and Black Market Trading World have consume powers; they don't trade a good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wence the Wanderer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Elgar wrote:
Barticus88 wrote:
Stunna wrote:

Trade powers are not consume powers. There is a distinction. Trade League and Black Market Trading World have consume powers; they don't trade a good.

technical differences aside you can treat trade league like you are trading, and for a noob these don't need to be specifically defined. Simply put, the 'Consume: Trade' card activates stage 4 (consume) and allows only the player who played the card to do a trade (much like producing on a windfall or drawing after settling, it's the card's bonus).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wence wrote:
Elgar wrote:
Barticus88 wrote:
Stunna wrote:

technical differences aside you can treat trade league like you are trading, and for a noob these don't need to be specifically defined. Simply put, the 'Consume: Trade' card activates stage 4 (consume) and allows only the player who played the card to do a trade (much like producing on a windfall or drawing after settling, it's the card's bonus).

On the contrary, you need to define what trading is. Trading only happens when you choose consume:trade, and when chosen you must trade a good before you use consume powers.

This is different from consume powers where you consume for "trade value". While many may think these are just technical differences, calling these consume powers "trading" can confuse new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Elgar wrote:
This is different from consume powers where you consume for "trade value". While many may think these are just technical differences, calling these consume powers "trading" can confuse new players.

Pointing out the difference is more likely to confuse new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a (minor but substantial) difference though: if you select the "trade" bonus, you must trade a good before using any other consume powers. But with TL/BMW, you can choose when to do the "trade" within your consume phase; for example, you can consume your goods for VP and thus leave nothing for TL/BMW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is the funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Elgar wrote:

Pointing out the difference is more likely to confuse new players.

I disagree. Calling one thing something it isn't *will* confuse people more, as well as mislead them.

Do you say that the consume for 2 cards power is also "trading any good for 2 cards"? Do you call the produce on a windfall world power as "turning windfall worlds in to production worlds"?

Both of the above are misstatements about the game, attempting to simplify powers into things they are not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.