Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I have recently discovered the Puerto Rico Excel version, and I was wondering what other games have been translated into this format (or a format that will allow me to play them at work on a computer with a fairly zealous URL blocker and Java/Fun disabled.

I have already found SoftBoard Games and had a look through that, but was wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks a million,

Jenks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a HeroQuest solo game at some point (Excel plays Zargon for you). I'll see if there's a link around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven D
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan has a version that plays off of a USB...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/19840/mark-haberman-sa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Keldon's RftG AI also runs off a USB drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil IT department. Heh. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Feery
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The IT department isn't evil, we're just misunderstood.

The collective has been notified of sneaky actions.

Transmission ended.

sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. You misunderstand me. I said the EVIL IT department, not the ever-so-slightly-malevolent IT department.

USB drives are most definately banned, and running .EXE files??? Not a hope, Sunshine.

I'm even dubious as to whether the Excel will work - Macros are just a bit too 'out-there' for us ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenkachu wrote:
Oh. You misunderstand me. I said the EVIL IT department, not the ever-so-slightly-malevolent IT department.

USB drives are most definately banned, and running .EXE files??? Not a hope, Sunshine.

I'm even dubious as to whether the Excel will work - Macros are just a bit too 'out-there' for us ninja

Hey you must work where I work. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Graham
United Kingdom
Goudhurst
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not going to be what you want to hear, unfortunately. Ultimately, they own the computer and can stop you. I mean this in two senses - the practical sense, as you've already discovered with the limitations they have in place, and the legal sense, as in they can fire you for trying to play games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
spooq wrote:
This is not going to be what you want to hear, unfortunately. Ultimately, they own the computer and can stop you. I mean this in two senses - the practical sense, as you've already discovered with the limitations they have in place, and the legal sense, as in they can fire you for trying to play games.

Totally agree, but....

Have them get you a Mac. It has Chess preinstalled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need an iPhone.

Play games on that and use your own internet to not deal with filters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
miyu wrote:
You need an iPhone.

Play games on that and use your own internet to not deal with filters.

I have an iPhone. Just a pity that I'm not allowed a phone at work

Oh, and the Excel thing didn't work... I suppose I'll just have to set up Arkham Horror on my desk and see how that goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Pocket Dungeon... It may not be the greatest game of all times, but it does kind of have a built in "stealth mode" which would allow you to play without people even knowing you are playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Jenkachu wrote:
I suppose I'll just have to set up Arkham Horror on my desk and see how that goes.

Thanks for the laugh. I can see the Arkham sprawl all over your desk area. Double-dog dare you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Jenkachu wrote:
Just a pity that I'm not allowed a phone at work.

?!

If this is true, I'd seriously consider avoiding playing games at all while you are there. If they are so draconian that you cannot have a cell phone on you while you are there, certainly they will be monitoring your computer usage and it is likely anyone who sees you doing anything not obviously work related will turn you in.

If you are really looking for something to do that is not work related while you are there, I'd consider writing articles, session reports, or reviews for games for BGG while you are there. It is highly unlikely anyone (or any program logging keys) will consider you writing in Word or Notepad a noteworthy and punishable offense. You could also do some board game design too, if it interests you - same tools.

Make no mistake, if they are so serious about stopping you, it is a guaranteed fact that managers are receiving reports of network traffic and perhaps even time spent in each application. These things are all easily monitored and checked by the fascist, Big Brother, paranoid type of company you seem to be describing...

And just as a public service, would you consider naming names so I can be sure to avoid ever getting a job there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Jenkachu wrote:
Just a pity that I'm not allowed a phone at work.

?!

If this is true, I'd seriously consider avoiding playing games at all while you are there. If they are so draconian that you cannot have a cell phone on you while you are there, certainly they will be monitoring your computer usage and it is likely anyone who sees you doing anything not obviously work related will turn you in.

If you are really looking for something to do that is not work related while you are there, I'd consider writing articles, session reports, or reviews for games for BGG while you are there. It is highly unlikely anyone (or any program logging keys) will consider you writing in Word or Notepad a noteworthy and punishable offense. You could also do some board game design too, if it interests you - same tools.

Make no mistake, if they are so serious about stopping you, it is a guaranteed fact that managers are receiving reports of network traffic and perhaps even time spent in each application. These things are all easily monitored and checked by the fascist, Big Brother, paranoid type of company you seem to be describing...

And just as a public service, would you consider naming names so I can be sure to avoid ever getting a job there?

Don't get me wrong - the measures are in place for security rather than a desire to remove all fun from our lives. There are the usual fun-police measures, such as blocking games sites, facebook etc, but all the other stuff (phones, .exe files etc) are there for a jolly good reason and I have no complaints about any of it. I was just curious to know if there were any things that I would be able to get to work.

And as to naming and shaming? I daren't... They'll be able to tell during my weekly lie-detector test ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.