Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » General

Subject: Road to Legend vs Sea of Blood rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ramadan Ramadan
Poland
flag msg tools
Hi there,

there're some posts that say that first expansion to Descent to buy should be RtL/SoB (there is also some opinions that discourage it). I just couldn't find anyone comparing these two. Is it just matter of personal choice between settings (pirates vs more traditional fantasy)? I don't own any other expansion yet.

I found opinion recommending not to buy SoB if you already have RtL as it doesn't introduce much to the game unless you have played many campaigns and need fresh breeze.

Someone did recommend using SoB rules even with RtL but that's not a problem with downloadable SoB rulebook.

Any opinions will help.
--
ramadan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only speak for Road to Legend. It's a great expansion, but it changes the game pretty radically. In fact, I'd say that it's less of an expansion than a kit to retrofit Descent into a totally different experience.

Now, if you do pick RtL up, there are undoubtedly going to be some balance issues that should be addressed, but you're not going to encounter those for a good 12 hours of play at least. The most dramatic one of these, the Tamalir Rush insta-win (where the Overlord lays siege to the one city he needs to win at the perfect moment and the heroes can do nothing about it), is addressed by the SoB rules after a fashion, and I'd strongly recommend that your group use those rules in RtL. Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much about the balance issues for at least a campaign or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ramadan wrote:
Hi there,

there're some posts that say that first expansion to Descent to buy should be RtL/SoB (there is also some opinions that discourage it). I just couldn't find anyone comparing these two. Is it just matter of personal choice between settings (pirates vs more traditional fantasy)? I don't own any other expansion yet.

I found opinion recommending not to buy SoB if you already have RtL as it doesn't introduce much to the game unless you have played many campaigns and need fresh breeze.

Someone did recommend using SoB rules even with RtL but that's not a problem with downloadable SoB rulebook.

Any opinions will help.
--
ramadan

Depends what you're looking for in an expansion.

If you want long campaigns with overland movements, lots of land exploration, hero development, then go with RTL.
I personally feel nothing about SoB and will not buy it.

If you're looking for more monsters, heroes, cards, 1 night quests, then you have lots of choice, AoD, WoD, ToI... they are all great, although I personally much prefer AoD out of the 3.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.