Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing last night I had 2 units jump into close combat against a spent soviet (using CAPS) and thought my chances of hitting were pretty good - I think hit on a 9. Considering my options I thought the +1 to my dice throw was not going to be better than rolling twice against my enemy. Is grouping in this situation mandatory or can I still command them separately.

Playing a couple of solo games were interesting, but not exactly challenging. I was wondering if I'm playing correctly. Now Soviets will just sit there like ducks until you come into range/LOS. This means that my best course of action will be to move all forces on to one target at a time. In firefight 4 I just revealed one at a time and had plenty of time to extinguish each one individually.

What was really weird is revealing a SMG unit which has a range of two. Since he reveals himself at range 3 he couldn't even attack me!? So I just shot him up at range 3.

Am I playing correctly?

[edit] capitalize CAPS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the solo play, but in your first question if you did a group order to the two units moving into the same hex, then they have to attack as a group as well, or at least share the activation points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But I used caps to move them which means neither had been activated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Group fire is never mandatory. If you have already activated both units as a group, then you might as well group fire if you can though, as they're sharing APs.

About that SMG - it's range is 2 but it can fire long-range at 4. I'd have to look at the solo rules again (it's been awhile) but I don't see why they wouldn't just fire at long range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot about long range >_<

Just to be clear though. The round starts. None of my units are active. I group move two of my units into close combat using CAPS. Is that group now considered activated and must do all following things as a group?

I thought you could move fresh units with CAPS without activating them or grouping them.

My point here is that having one unit fire once with a plus one isn't as good as two units firing once. So grouping in this situation is not preferable.

I'd rather have my units activate seperately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
oh, I missed the CAPs part

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I would have attacked separately with each unit via different activations. The +1 you get from the group fire wouldn't offset the two attack rolls in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FinalAttack wrote:
I group move two of my units into close combat using CAPS. Is that group now considered activated and must do all following things as a group?

No, using CAPs does not activate them, so you're still free to activate whatever units you would like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make this clear, group actions are never mandatory.

So if you group activate, both units share 7 AP. Then you do a group move into a hex occupied by an enemy unit for, say, 1 AP. You have 6 AP's left.

Then you can either:

- Attack with only one of the activated units for, say, 4 AP. That would leave both your units down at 2 AP.

- Group attack with both units for 4 AP. Here you get a +1 for group fire. Still, you are down at 2 AP for both of the units.

- Move (or do virtually any other action) with only one or both of your activated units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.