J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl1101

Quote:
Last week, the Wall Street Journal reported that Emanuel, exasperated upon learning that liberal special-interest groups were planning to run ads against conservative Democrats not supportive of health care reform, blasted the plan as "f------ retarded" over the summer. Naturally, some outrage ensued after Emanuel's words came to light, with former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin taking to her Facebook page to call on President Obama to fire him for what she saw as the equivalent of a racial slur.

I couldn't care less about this issue. Could you?

EDIT: Okay, actually I could care less because I made a thread about it, but I care very little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother has a son with Down Syndrome named Hypotenuse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
I enjoyed the take on Reason.com:

Quote:
...So he apologized... just not to the Democrats; instead, he apologized to the CEO of the Special Olympics, who's running a campaign against the use of the word "retard." Message received, sir: Calling liberals "retarded" is unfair to the disabled.

Yeah, that was a good take.

There's no excuse for this. No public official should use either term when speaking about such things.

Any official who cannot contain themselves from the use of such derogatory terms in public is likely much more despicable in private. It's a failure of context and of will.

To me, it's a grievous offense. It should cost him his job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:

To me, it's a grievous offense. It should cost him his job.

It's hard to believe that you and BJ are in the same gaming group!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heartbreak, you know, drives a big, black car. Swear I was in the backseat just minding my own..
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
We can't go around firing every politician who says something insulting. There aren't enough mute people to replace them with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taylor
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expected more toothpicks in this topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
He should have called it "Fucking Palin" instead. Same diff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
The person who should be fired is whoever leaked this inappropriate comment out of the "closed door meeting." Go listen to the Watergate tapes for awhile, and when you tire of the vituperative bullshit therein, you may come back to RSP for the special breed available only here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The person who leaked it is probably a fucking retard. Can't fire 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, retarded has long since stopped meaning "mentally handicapped" and has meant one part foolish, one part asshole and one part dumb.

Since I don't call people with special needs retarded, and not many people have for twenty years or so, I'm taking the word back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
The wife teaches Special Ed; apparently there's a recent movement by caretakers of special-needs people to make "retarded" the new N-word.

So Emmanuel should've called it "the product of a fucking special-needs student," which would've been fine.

I predict that "retarded" with join "idiot," "moron," and "half-wit" on the euphemism treadmill, to be replaced by something even more hilarious to call people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

like a 'Bachmann'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I heard that anybody, from any party, had expressed disapproval of Action X by saying "That's so gay!", I would think, more or less simultaneously, (1) That's an unfortunate, albeit culturally standard, phraseology and (2) Was there an open mike? No? Who the hell leaked that?

I'm all for punishing people when their slips betray something putrid. (Jesse Jackson's "hymietown" comes to mind, among other things.) Playing "gotcha!" doesn't appeal so much to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
IDIOT, n. A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line. Ambrose Bierce ~ The Devil's Dictionary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in favor of using the word retarded in accordance with it's dictionary definition. Anybody that disagrees with that can get the dictionary changed first, and then we'll talk.

Example: This thread is retarded.
Favorite use: As a verb (eg Retard your mouth, boy!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Bailey
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
He should have called it "Fucking Palin" instead. Same diff.

I'd do her....

Maybe a blow job so she wouldn't have to talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since retarded is the new "N"-word, I sometimes say tarded again, or tard-again for short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cunts everywhere are feeling their reign slipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
DarthXaos wrote:
He should have said fucktarded instead

"Fucking retarded" = five syllables.
"Fucktarded" = three syllables.

So much more efficient! That's the kind of forward thinking we need in our lean, post-partisan government.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Forced changes to language to prevent offense are always absurd.

Words are only as offensive as their intent.

If a word is no longer used, the next word said with malice will replace it, as bigots always find new weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a sec...

If, as ex-partial-Governor Palin stated, the R-Word is akin to the N-Word and a good portion of black people refer to each other as N-words; do special needs folks blast R-Words at each other willy-nilly? If so, or not, what does that say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel bad for Rush Limbaugh. Clearly he's going to be the next public figure whose resignation or firing Palin will call for. After all, I know her outrage is genuine and not partisan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I feel bad for Rush Limbaugh. Clearly he's going to be the next public figure whose resignation or firing Palin will call for. After all, I know her outrage is genuine and not partisan.

I'm sure Palin understands Rush's sense of humor, like anyone who has listened to his show in more than 5 second sound bites would favorable standing among her base. Rush has nothing to worry about.

Fixed that for you.

Seriously, while I don't think either Rush or Rahm should get raked over the coals for this, it's the height of hypocrisy to treat Rush's comments as harmless humor if, as Palin asserts, using the word "retard" is equivalent to using the word nigger.

Would Rush say, "There's no insult in calling a nigger a nigger"? Would he say, that there was going to be a "nigger summit" at the White House?

A while back there was a thread full of righteous indignation by almost every RSP conservative that Joe Biden's racial comments about Obama being electable weren't creating a shitstorm. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before those same people chime in here...

...and explain why it's totally appropriate for Palin to call for Rahm's head for saying "retard" but not to mind Rush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOGB
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit I think Palin crossed the line here. The daughter thing with Letterman had most of America on her side, but this is just ridiculous. We had a thread here on RSP months ago about using the word faggot and so on. This is similar. I don't use that anymore, but used to use it all the time. Now I use retarded, although it's usually to describe a thing or person's action, not a person per se.

We shouldn't be shocked at all by what politicians say behind closed doors. Hell, I've heard so many VPs/executives/managers berate others with just about everything under the sun in closed door meetings. Big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.