Popular Tags: [View All]
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
A big thumbs up from me for Richard III: The Wars of the Roses.

Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War I'd need to play again before I could give a final verdict, but my first play didn't warm me to the system very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enjoyed The Caucasus Campaign so far. Washington's War should be out in a month or two and it should be stellar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:

Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War I'd need to play again before I could give a final verdict, but my first play didn't warm me to the system very well.

What left you dry on the game? Still waiting for it at my FLGS and reviews are scarce for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DorianGray wrote:
Also what are the most expected titles to come out later this year?

For me it's Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291.

It must come out in 2010. GOD WILLS IT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinwolf wrote:
leroy43 wrote:

What left you dry on the game? Still waiting for it at my FLGS and reviews are scarce for it.

Well, for starters, I didn't use my Spartans very effectively/well, so that certainly didn't help my position.

But what really left it dry for me is that there's a lot "nothing happens" between major actions. Every turn you get 6 cards. The opening card is a "headline" card (either play the event or buy some future divine intervention), then I'd spend 3 turns building up so I could do something with my 5th card, before using the final card on wintering.

Like I said, I need to play it again, but at the moment it's relegated to the same shelf as Clash of Monarchs - hopefully to be played again or possibly traded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel J
United States
Iowa City
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed Hellenes so far. There are a lot of fires to put out for Athens, so much so it seems like they are the underdog despite technically having the upper hand. Richard III gets a big thumbs up for having some nice mechanics and still being a quick and easy block game.

Personally I'm most looking forward to The Guns of Gettysburg and Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan, though I don't know if they are definitely going to come out this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Yellow, 1940: The German Blitzkrieg in the West a Ted Racier game that should see the light of day this year.

Proud Monster: The Barbarossa Campaign Deluxe by Compass Games is slated to be released this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:

Proud Monster: The Barbarossa Campaign Deluxe by Compass Games is slated to be released this year.

Yep, this one (even if I have the original) plus Yalu and (hopefully) Steel Wolves.

Kingdom of Heaven is on my list too as is Barbarossa: Crimea and No Question of Surrender, Guderian's Blitzkrieg II and Angola (which might not see the light of day in 2010.

Then everything OCS and ASL and hopefully some SCS like Bastogne or The Mighty Endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yalu: The Chinese Counteroffensive in Korea: November 1950-May 1951 (second edition) just showed up at my house, and I can't truly recommend it because I haven't played yet, but it sure looks good. And I have to say that Dan Raspler's report has me very interested in Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caucasus Campaign is a fun game, with a good challenge for the German player. I haven't figured it out yet, it's possible to kill large numbers of Soviets and still not make your objectives. Although it is fairly simple, due to the assymetrical situation I would recommend it for wargamers with some experience.

There are a lot of good games on the horizon this year. A few I'm looking forward to:

Nightfighter
Stalin's War
Chariots of Fire
Nothing Gained But Glory

And that's just GMT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normandy '44
Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291

Those are the game on my radar. This list don't include all the ASL stuff that i want to buy/play, too long!

I'll take a look also on the game about the 1939 invasion of poland... not many game on this subject! I really want to take a look at it!

I also hope that one game of the new Battalion Combat Series from Dean Essig - The Gamers will be published... but i think that's more probably that we'll see something in 2011.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thies Kolln
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed my two plays so far of Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War, and want to play again now that we've learned a few lessons, especially about how to play Athens, which I think is a bit trickier.

The game I'm most eagerly awaiting is Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan, but I'm not optimistic that we'll see it this year. Also don't expect to see GMT's reprint of Pax Baltica this year. cry

Of the games that I do expect (or at least have a reasonable hope) to see this year, I have Washington's War, Crown of Roses and Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? preordered. I'm looking at Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291 but haven't convinced myself on that one yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Gan
Philippines
Quezon City
NCR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm eagerly awaiting Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291, Crown of Roses and Washington's War myself. And these are my must haves for 2010 (if all of 'em do come out on 2010).

Titles that made my radar but I'm not entirely convinced on are Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975, Angola and The God Kings: Warfare at the Dawn of Civilization, 1500 – 1260BC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to two especially:

Breakthrough: Cambrai, which I have on preorder from Multi-Man Publishing. It's described as an area movement game. After seeing a video review of Storm Over Stalingrad I wanted to give an area movement game a try and this one had been on my radar already for its topic and because the artwork looked excellent. Here's a link to MMP's page for the game: Breakthrough: Cambrai at MMP.

and

Stalin's War is my other preorder currently, this one with GMT Games. For a game that shot up the P500 list like a rocket, it hasn't generated much discussion here on BGG. I should probably go check on consimworld to see if there's interest over there. There is an interesting interview with the designer here: Designer Interview.

This one interested me because it's the first hex and counter / CDG hybrid and it's designed by Ted Raicer. I watched an online demonstration of the game last fall and it looked very good. At the time they said they were ironing out some last balancing issues. They found that the game was balanced for experienced players, but for beginners the Russians were getting smashed up pretty good. So they were working on ways to improve the balance for new players without giving the Russians advantages for experienced players. This one is rumored to be a Marchish release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greyareabeyond wrote:

Stalin's War is my other preorder currently, *snip* This one is rumored to be a Marchish release.

Indeed, on GMT release schedule this one is slated for March. It could be a bit delayed though because of productions delay with this month games, but they should release a revised shipping outlook pretty soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamieson Teo
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like D-Day at Normandy but you just can't see yourself playing Atlantic Wall, The Longest Day, or the new GMT gameThe Battle for Normandy then I suggest you get the upcoming Normandy '44. I had fun in playtesting even if the designer thrashed my German defenders. The game seems rather clean and exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Empire of the Sun was also a hex and counter/CDG hybrid. Also a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:

Want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Francis
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
badge
“"To Aetius, now consul for the third time: the groans of the Britons ... The barbarians drive us to the sea; the sea throws us back on the barbarians: thus two modes of death await us, we are either slain or drowned".” ―Gildas
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291 (preorder from MMP if you havn't already). Other than I am looking forward to Stalin's War, Infidel and some reprints from GMT.

Have tried agian and again to get excited about Washington's War but can't. AWI just doesn't interest my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got Washington's War, Stalin's War and Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division on pre-order from GMT. WW should be showing up on the doorstep shortly, while the other two have longer to go.

My only other pre-order is Frontline: D-Day, by DVG. It looks like a simplified hybrid of Up Front and Fields of Fire, and I'm very impressed with the rule book and the examples of play. I'm bummed that there are no Russians in the first module, but I understand they plan on releasing new theaters as time goes on. I'm very excited about this one, as I've been in an Up Front mood lately and I think this one will scratch a similar itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's why I passed on We the People the first time around. That said, I'm more interested in the period now than I was then (a bit), and I'm willing to give the subject matter a go provided the design is good enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my most anticipated games for 2010:

Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 - Great grand tactical theme, must have

Age of Bismarck: The Unifications of Italy and Germany 1859-1871 - 2010 .... please....?

Steel Wolves: The German Submarine Campaign Against Allied Shipping – Vol 1 - 2010...another please...?

The Doomsday Project - questionable if it will be published 2010 but let's think positive

The Finnish Trilogy 1939-1945: Winter War 1939-1940 (Vol. 1) - great operational level Winter War / Continuation War / Lapland War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2009, the wargames I enjoyed most were A Most Dangerous Time & A Victory Denied. Despite the centuries between the events of the games, there are some similarities in design, namely the chit pull system, which bedevils your best-laid plans. The similarities end there. AVD has headquarters that are activated, bombers, and artillery and A Most Dangerous Time have treacherous armies and other forms of betrayal. I haven't tried A Most Dangerous Time multiplayer yet, but it looks like it might be good fun.

My 2009 unplayed list:
(I received these at the end of the year when I was mostly out of the country and I haven't even read the rules)

Dead of Winter - I like the GBACW series (which also has armies doing the wrong thing sometimes - go figure) and I can play it probably without reading the rules (or mostly).

Hellenes - This is an interesting conflict and I haven't really been satisfied by earlier efforts. Epic of the Peloponnese War has one good scenario but the campaign game is too long to play even if you reserve several weekends. Mark Herman's solitaire game is good but I'm not a solitaire player. Thus, I am betting on Hellenes's blocks and cards. It will be a while before I get around to it though.

Kutusov - I am a fan of The Napoleonic Wars and Wellington, so I am betting that Kutusov is also good.

What I've been playing:

Actually, I spent a lot of 2009 playing many older eurogames (along with Endeavor - best light game I played in 2009 I think - and Steve Jackson Games' Revolution - good fun but definitely a euro with bidding and so forth), Diplomacy, Civilization, older/& not so much older wargames, 18xx games, and Phil Eklund games like American Megafauna and Origins. The game I haven't played for 2010, in fact, that I most want to play is High Frontier, a Phil Eklund design. I'm not sure if you would consider it a wargame. More of a civ/economics game:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/47055/high-frontier

In 2009, I also picked up two games that I really wanted to play but never got around to tracking down:

Assyrian Wars - Udo Grebe (this is not yet played, but I'm reading the rulebook)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8626/assyrian-wars

The Hellgame - Udo Grebe (ok,not really a wargame - more like area control, but really cool)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2611/the-hellgame

A print and play game that I built that I found to be quite brilliant:

To the Last Man
- if you are going to put together one print and play wargame, this should be the one. A brilliant recreation of the war of attrition on the west front of WW1. This doesn't overreach, but does a very competent job of modeling the war, including the onus of preparing for offensives, the frustration of never being able to put together a knock-out blow, and the nail-biting moments when you are sure your line will break.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/21414/to-the-last-man

Right now I'm playing:

Soft Landing
(just last night actually, no war - just a horribly unforgiving economic system and each player spawning catastrophes on the others = fun!)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/46944/soft-landing-v1...

End of Days - so I can practice backstabbing.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38971/end-of-days

The Republic of Rome (this weekend - isn't it a great reprint? THANKS Valley Games! This one was done right. Not a wargame though.)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1513/the-republic-of-...

Also, the last few days I played Black Death, Ideology, and Endeavor again. Not wargames... Apologies. Black Death does allow you to slaughter people though. It's like a role-playing game of Pandemic where you are the disease.

Published 2010 games I want to play:

Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975
- I've no idea about the game, but from comments I've read it sounds like it's a great asymmetric model of the war taking into account the political issues as well as the war itself.

Unpublished games - hopefully 2010 - I've played:

No Peace Without Spain - interesting situation. I liked it, but I want to play it more.

Crusade and Revolution. The Spanish Civil War
- EXCELLENT. This is basically a derivative game of Paths of Glory with a dramatic ramp up to full-scale war. I've only played it twice but really enjoyed it. The artwork and rules I'm using are a couple years old though.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31790/crusade-and-rev...

Kingdom of Heaven - BRILLIANT - a truly wonderful 2 player CDG with some innovative siege features. Plus 9 scenarios! Of the games that hopefully will be published in 2010, this is my favorite.

Angola - Multiplayer 2 vs 2 game of the Angola Civil War. You want "fog of war"? In this game, you prepare a deck of instructions for your forces that they have to carry out no matter what. Also, the organization of units doesn't let you drop off units along the way. Add to that the necessity of fighting to get out of jungles and you have a game where seizing opportunities fearlessly really matters. Reckless behavior has its consequences though.

Unpublished games I'm going to play:

Labyrinth - looks very cool - I'm playtesting it and have just gone through the (easy) rules. It has a lot of Twilight Struggle (great game) characteristics and some very interesting modeling of the War on Terror.

Other unpublished games I'm interested in:

Triumph of Fascism (David Dockter of Triumph of Chaos fame)

Founding Fathers (a Jason Matthews co-designed game)

Case Yellow (want to play it first maybe)

Crown of Roses (definitely)

The Supreme Commander
(maybe)

Age of Bismarck (John Firer)

Ides of March
(John Firer)

1866: The Struggle for Supremacy in Germany
(John Firer)

The God Kings (great period for a CDG, I may get a chance to play this)

Age of Imperialism
(I'm interested in this period too)

Umm.... that's quite a haul really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.