Recommend
17 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Thunderstone» Forums » News

Subject: Thunderstone Rules Version 1.4 Available as of 02/02/2010 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all ~

Well its less than a week later and already we have another revision for you! A little less extensive this time, however. This release clarifies some rulings in relation to when light can and cannot be contributed, the differences between CANNOT ATTACK and IMMUNITY and how they effect battle, and some other issues brought up after the release of v1.3 rules.

Again, as you can imagine, we don't expect that every possible question will ever be answered. However, we are hoping to make progress in clarifying the rules for all of you out there who have inquisitive minds and find new situations we haven't covered!

That said, the new rules can be found on the Thunderstone page of the Alderac Entertainment Group website at:

http://www.alderac.com/thunderstone/

Alternatively, the rules have been uploaded to the BGG file directory for Thunderstone, and can be found at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/52284

Enjoy!

~ Ryan

15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:

P.S. Hopefully I'll manage to get the rules approved for entry into the BGG file system here soon...last time they got refused for some reason. Also...as always...i'll have my eyes open for new threads with your questions!


Already seem to be up - Well done.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/52284/thunderstone-rul...

Right off to do some reading....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Rayburn
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who has been paying close attention to all the rules questions and revisions, I would like to give a great deal of credit to Ryan and everyone at AEG for doing everything possible to clafify any questions.

I personally have never had a great deal of issues with the rules, so I feel that AEG's patience with nitpicky rules lawyers is commendable. Not only have they tried their best to satisfy everyone, they have approached these issues with a helpful and positive attitude. Great job AEG and thank you for a great game!
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rowdyray wrote:
As someone who has been paying close attention to all the rules questions and revisions, I would like to give a great deal of credit to Ryan and everyone at AEG for doing everything possible to clafify any questions.

I personally have never had a great deal of issues with the rules, so I feel that AEG's patience with nitpicky rules lawyers is commendable. Not only have they tried their best to satisfy everyone, they have approached these issues with a helpful and positive attitude. Great job AEG and thank you for a great game!


Thanks so much for the kind words rowdyray. Its nice to see the work is appreciated. That said, I may have some more plans coming in the future to keep the Thunderstone community thriving. Hopefully, with the help of other BGG users, we can make and keep this game great!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Proofreading time!

I think this one has been around since the original rules, minor issue:
Page 5 wrote:
End of Turn
If you have collected the Thunderstone (or it enters Rank 1 because a Monster wasn’t defeated), the game ends immediately! If not, then the player to your left begins his turn.


When taken out of context, the part in parenthesis confused me for a bit. Why would the Thunderstone Advance to Rank 1 if a monster isn't defeated? It just seemed to imply that the Thunderstone somehow moves automatically if you don't defeat a monster every turn. Maybe it depends on where you put the emphasis.

It would make a lot more sense as (or it enters Rank 1 because a Monster was returned to the bottom of the Dungeon pile)


Page 8 wrote:
Leveling Up
When you visit the Village, you may level up any number of Hero cards in your hand during step 5 (as you have enough Experience Points)


Sounds better as (if you have enough Experience Points). Although I think as might still be grammatically correct


Everything else looks good! Thanks for dealing with us picky rules lawyers. laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this game as a gift, and for some inexplicable reason, decided to wait until about 11:45pm last night to try and learn it . Needless to say, I didn't get very far using the rules that came with the game. Right before I went to bed, I grabbed the 1.3 rules, and got a chance to skim through long thread about the rules...I'm very happy to see this version coming out, as I can see some of the issues I originally had have been clarified. I commend everyone who's worked on this over the last few days, and look forward to giving this another go.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Barrett
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh darn I hate to do this, but:

Page 4:
3. Declare which Monster and rank you are attacking.
4. Resolve the battle. See “Battles” on page 10.

Page 10 (Under "Battles"):
Once you have assigned your Weapons and revealed any other cards that will help or hinder you in battle, apply any final Attack modifiers (such as doubling effects). Now add up your total Attack Value.

Finally, once a Rank of the Dungeon Hall is chosen, you can adjust for any Light Penalties. Light Penalties are discussed under “Light and Darkness” on page 12.

The two seem to contradict when the player gets to choose a Rank to attack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
db-one wrote:
Gosh darn I hate to do this, but:

Page 4:
3. Declare which Monster and rank you are attacking.
4. Resolve the battle. See “Battles” on page 10.

Page 10 (Under "Battles"):
Once you have assigned your Weapons and revealed any other cards that will help or hinder you in battle, apply any final Attack modifiers (such as doubling effects). Now add up your total Attack Value.

Finally, once a Rank of the Dungeon Hall is chosen, you can adjust for any Light Penalties. Light Penalties are discussed under “Light and Darkness” on page 12.

The two seem to contradict when the player gets to choose a Rank to attack.


I don't think finally is meant in terms of order, just as a final thing to consider...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Barrett
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
I don't think finally is meant in terms of order, just as a final thing to consider...


Well okie dokie then

Did you guys consider actually listing Errata at the back of the book? I know that the Sphinx rules have now been cleared up in the Glossary, but I'm counting the minutes before someone gets on here and states "Hey! The Sphinx card doesn't have "Spoils" written on it! Is there a mistake in the Glossary?"

EDITED to fix my tongue smiley
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Shaw
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for keeping this up to date and posting these as nice, printer-friendly PDFs. I work at a Kinkos-type print shop and I now have a beautiful 11x17 folded booklet for these instructions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
I am looking at the new 1.4 rules, and I know that Sphinx was errata-ed. I only know to look at the new sphinx rule because I saw the conversation here. If I hadn't come here, I wouldn't know.

Is there a change-log somewhere so I can know which rules to read now?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job on the rules. I particularly like the note that monsters that can't be attacked by players (not enough light, no magic) can't be banished into the dungeon by muffing an attack that couldn't be made in the first place.

It might be worth specifically noting for the dwarven heroes description that their edged bonus attack doesn't apply if some monster effect cancels edged weapons (like Noxious Slag). I'd also be inclined to say the dwarf gets the full edged weapon bonus if some effect halves edged weapon damage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops one other thing I forgot to add - I'm assuming the rule about the dwarf's bonus applying even if the edged weapon becomes useless applies to cases like "weapon is destroyed" vs. "weapon wasn't helpful to begin with."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
Great job on the rules. I particularly like the note that monsters that can't be attacked by players (not enough light, no magic) can't be banished into the dungeon by muffing an attack that couldn't be made in the first place.

It might be worth specifically noting for the dwarven heroes description that their edged bonus attack doesn't apply if some monster effect cancels edged weapons (like Noxious Slag). I'd also be inclined to say the dwarf gets the full edged weapon bonus if some effect halves edged weapon damage.


The edged weapon bonus DOES apply even if the monster negates damage from edged weapons. This isn't an edged weapon attack, but an increase in the power of the dwarf (his attack) due to his confidence of having the weapon.

Autodeulist wrote:
Oops one other thing I forgot to add - I'm assuming the rule about the dwarf's bonus applying even if the edged weapon becomes useless applies to cases like "weapon is destroyed" vs. "weapon wasn't helpful to begin with."


Since weapons only get destroyed as battle effects, he would still get his bonus. The destruction results of battle effects don't take place until the fight resolves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pritchard
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, in version 1.5 you should probably update the picture of the flaming sword card on page 5 and 6 to one that says weapon rather than item, as that could be confusing.

Also, in the banish entry of the glossary it doesn't mention that you must destroy a card when using the ability. I assume it should?

Chalice defender's glossary has (not weapons) but doesn't make it clear whether the red jelly's light for example would trigger the ability. I know it wouldn't but just to be crystal clear...

The line "you do not gain the gold value of the barkeep when it is destroyed" Is still a little ambiguous. How about "If destroying barkeep for 2 gold, it does not contribute it's original 1 gold."

Finally, the Lorrig outlaw and rogue ability. Presumably using the dungeon ability is not compulsory for the owning player (although I don't know why you'd choose not to activate it?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Vessenes
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
Great job on the rules. I particularly like the note that monsters that can't be attacked by players (not enough light, no magic) can't be banished into the dungeon by muffing an attack that couldn't be made in the first place.


Where is this in the rulebook?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 19 Under "Cannot Attack" says that if the party cannot attack a Monster it can't be chosen in Step 3 of a Dungeon action.

I'm not sure I like the dwarf getting the attack bonus if the weapon isn't helping him but I suppose one could argue that he only discovers the effect during the battle. Plus it's one less exception to the rules to worry about.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.