Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First question:

Since the foreman's role is to take a helper immediately after it has been placed on the discard pile, then I assume he may be played during another player's turn in the action phase. In other words, in a 2-player game, if the first player is taking her turn, and in the middle of this turn she discards the official, can the second player, who is waiting for his turn to begin, immediately play the foreman to take the official from the discard pile?

Second question:

In the rules, p. 10, the third bullet under foreman says, "In the 4-player game, the Foreman can take the Harvest helper (during the Harvest phase) or the Squire, Market crier or Bookkeeper (during the Card phase) from any of the other players -- there are no partners during these phases." How can the foreman take the market crier during the card phase? I don't see how the crier makes it to the discard pile, unless it is listed here as an example of a helper that didn't get selected from the courtyard -- but that doesn't seem likely in this context.

And a related question I just thought of:

When the courtyard cards are collected to create the discard pile following the card phase, their order is random, right? Otherwise, if a helper is showing on top of the pile, the foreman may be used immediately to take that card.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlewis2 wrote:
First question:

Since the foreman's role is to take a helper immediately after it has been placed on the discard pile, then I assume he may be played during another player's turn in the action phase. In other words, in a 2-player game, if the first player is taking her turn, and in the middle of this turn she discards the official, can the second player, who is waiting for his turn to begin, immediately play the foreman to take the official from the discard pile?

Yes, this card can be played in Phase 1, 2, or 3.

dlewis2 wrote:
Second question:

In the rules, p. 10, the third bullet under foreman says, "In the 4-player game, the Foreman can take the Harvest helper (during the Harvest phase) or the Squire, Market crier or Bookkeeper (during the Card phase) from any of the other players -- there are no partners during these phases." How can the foreman take the market crier during the card phase? I don't see how the crier makes it to the discard pile, unless it is listed here as an example of a helper that didn't get selected from the courtyard -- but that doesn't seem likely in this context.

Helpers can be discarded at any time.

dlewis2 wrote:

When the courtyard cards are collected to create the discard pile following the card phase, their order is random, right? Otherwise, if a helper is showing on top of the pile, the foreman may be used immediately to take that card.

Thanks.

The foreman can only take a helper that is discarded by a player. The courtyard card cleanup is not a discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
dlewis2 wrote:
First question:

YES.

dlewis2 wrote:
Second question:

Is the Market Crier the card that allows you to sell crops from your Market stalls to your store? If yes, then another player might want to use the Market Crier to get money for a neutral Field and, thus, play this card in the card phase. If this is not the card in question, please remind me of its function. You know, I have the German version, so I don't know all the English names by heart.

dlewis2 wrote:

The foreman cannot take a card from top of the discard pile. He takes a card in the very moment it is played, before it gets to the discard pile at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
Is the Market Crier the card that allows you to sell crops from your Market stalls to your store? If yes, then another player might want to use the Market Crier to get money for a neutral Field and, thus, play this card in the card phase. If this is not the card in question, please remind me of its function. You know, I have the German version, so I don't know all the English names by heart.

Market Crier: [3] Refill all your Market Stalls with vegetables OR Sell 1 to 3 vegetables from Market Stalls to your Shop (at Shop Prices). You can earn a maximum of 3 Cash.

It can only be played in the Action Phase, but can be discarded anytime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
jearles wrote:

So, yes, this was the card I was thinking about. Does the rulebook explicitely state it may only be played during the action phase? This wasn't so during playtesting. Any card that produces money may be played at any time you need money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
jearles wrote:

So, yes, this was the card I was thinking about. Does the rulebook explicitely state it may only be played during the action phase? This wasn't so during playtesting. Any card that produces money may be played at any time you need money.

That is what the [3] in the Helper Reference is supposed to mean. But it could have been an oversight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
dlewis2 wrote:
Second question:

You're right: The market crier either refills all your market stalls or sells one to three vegetables from your stalls to your shop for at most 3 cash. It is described as only playable during the action phase in the rule book, but your example of using it to pay for a common field in the card phase led me to find this:

"Whenever a player plays a 'Field' Action card, he must immediately pay 2 Cash for it. To make the payment, the player may (even out of turn) sell vegetables to his Shop, use Helpers, or take out a Loan." [emphasis mine]

This is in the "card phase" section of the rules. So it seems one may play the market crier in the card phase after all.

Thanks Grzegorz!
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, as I've said, this is how we've played during playtesting all the time. This might have been an oversight when writing the rules. It's definitely allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.