Nick McElveen
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Mmmmmm..... Beer. Glug glug glug....
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read here on the geek tales of a solo play scoring over 600, and others scoring regularly in the 400s. Since my first couple times through were in the low 200s, I figured I had lots of room for improvement and decided to give it another go.

This time around, I made a much stronger effort to hold out as long as possible on taking goods offers (It's not as if someone was going to beat me to them), to use the Construction Firm instead of the Building Firm when possible so that I could build more efficiently (2 buildings instead of one), and quickly get a number of craftsman buildings so that the Marketplace would really pay off early in the game. In the past I had worried about getting a food engine up quickly--this time I left feeding in the first round to the loan cards.

Unfortunately, while typing up the session I see that I forgot to take a Main Action at the end of Round 5. That probably cost me around 20 points in the end.

Bottom line, I ended up with 332 pts (92 Francs, 86 in ships and 154 in buildings). Much better, but still a ways to go. I'd be interested in hearing more from others regarding what is a normal one-player score and what is a realistic goal.

Here's the rundown:
Offers:
1-Franc/Grain
2-Franc/Iron
3-Franc/Wood
4-Wood/Clay
5-Wood/Cattle
6-Clay/Fish
7-Fish/Wood/Interest

Round 1
1. Take 2 Franc offer
2. Take 2 Wood offer
3. Building Firm, build Marketplace, buy Building Firm
4. Marketplace, take wood, clay, fish, Buy Clay Mound
5. Clay Mound - take 4 clay
6. Construction Firm - build Bakehouse and Fishery
7. Take 4 Wood offer.
Harvest. Town Builds Kiln. Take 2 loans.

Round 2
1. Building Firm - build Smokehouse
2. Marketplace - take wood, clay, coal, iron, grain, cattle
3. Construction Firm - build Charcoal Kiln, Abbattoir
4. Marketplace - take all 8 basic goods.
5. Take Iron Offer (2 iron)
6. Take Fish Offer (6 Fish)
7. Pay Interest - Smokehouse produces 6 Smoked Fish
Harvest. Town builds Masons Guild

Round 3
1. Building Firm - Build Wharf
2. Marketplace - take all 8 basic goods.
3. Take Grain Offer (3 Grain)
4. Bakehouse produces 6 Bread
5. Take Wood Offer (7 Wood)
6. Wharf - Build Wooden Ship
7. Interest - Take Loan - Marketplace - take all 8 basic goods.
Harvest. Town builds Furniture Factory.

Round 4
1.Take Clay Offer (7 Clay)
2. Construction Firm - build Brickworks and Colliery
3. Brickworks produces 6 Brick
4. Wharf upgraded builds Iron Ship
5. Take Cattle Offer (4 Cattle)
6. Abbattoir produces 9 Meat, 9 Hides
7. Interest, Take Wood Offer (5 Wood)
Harvest, Town builds Shipping Line

Round 5
1. Marketplace - take all 8 basic goods.
2. Colliery produces 4 coal
3. Construction Firm builds Tannery and Iron Works
4. Tannery produces 9 Leather
5. Take Wood Offer (3 Wood)
6. Furniture Factory converts 7Wood+7Leather to 42 Francs, Loans repaid
7. (Hmmm, looks from my notes like I was so excited to buy Cokery and Steel Mill that I forgot to take an Action.... D'oh!. That hurts.) Buy Cokery and Steel Mill
Harvest, Town builds Forest Hut

Round 6
1. Colliery produces 4 Coal
2. Cokery produces 11 Coke
3. Take Iron Offer (4 Iron)
4. Ironworks produces 3 Iron
5. Colliery produces 4 Coal
6. Wharf builds Iron Ship
7. Iron Works produces 4 Iron
Harvest

Round 7
1. Steel Mill produces 12 Steel
2. Wharf builds Steel Ship
3. Shipping Line sells 5 Steel, 3 Coke, 2 Leather for 63 Francs
4. Wharf builds Steel Ship
5. Take Franc Offer (15)
6. Colliery produces 4 Coal
7. Cokery produces 4 Coke'n'Francs
Final Action: Wharf builds Luxury Liner

I realize this transcript would have been better if I had included an inventory of goods at the end of every round. That didn't occur to me until I was almost done. Next time....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick McElveen
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided since everything was still sitting out to give it another go. My final score this time? 333. One point higher than last. Now I'm officially stuck in a rut...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
nickmcelveen wrote:
I decided since everything was still sitting out to give it another go. My final score this time? 333. One point higher than last. Now I'm officially stuck in a rut...

I see you play by the old rules with an unlimited Marketplace. People scoring 400+ even use the updated rule: the Marketplace is capped at 4. I haven't got 400 or more points, yet. My best score was a little below 400.

Without promoting oneself, maybe try the computer game. You'll be able to play much more games in a short period of time. Also, the game creates logs, you may post as session reports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Solo
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Ponton wrote:
nickmcelveen wrote:

I see you play by the old rules with an unlimited Marketplace. People scoring 400+ even use the updated rule: the Marketplace is capped at 4. I haven't got 400 or more points, yet. My best score was a little below 400.

Without promoting oneself, maybe try the computer game. You'll be able to play much more games in a short period of time. Also, the game creates logs, you may post as session reports.

I've had this game since the Essen launch but haven't got around to playing it. Perhaps I should give solo play a try. Tell us more about the computer game, Grzegorz. It sounds like just the ticket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick McElveen
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:

Thanks. Where does one find the updated Marketplace rule? I was just going by what's in my rulebook, but that sounds like a reasonable fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Solo wrote:
I've had this game since the Essen launch but haven't got around to playing it. Perhaps I should give solo play a try. Tell us more about the computer game, Grzegorz. It sounds like just the ticket.

The computer game can be found here on the Geek, in the Le Havre files section. Currently, I've declared all the files obsolete, but you can download them chronologically (from bottom to top) to get the most recent release. There will be a major update soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
nickmcelveen wrote:
Ponton wrote:

Thanks. Where does one find the updated Marketplace rule? I was just going by what's in my rulebook, but that sounds like a reasonable fix.

It's somewhere here on the Geek. You'll find it mentioned in the Extensive Le Havre Buildings Reference and FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.