Popular Tags: [View All]
"L'├ętat, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
... or if the Confederates won.

I don't know much about the ACW, other than it happened and the politics of why and how it happened. However, I was wondering what the map of the US, and possibly Europe, would look like right now if the ACW had not happened.

Every western democracy eventually renounced slavery, so it seems to me that the Confederated States would have done so also at some point. Would the CSA and USA have reconciled in a post-emancipation age?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If the American Civil War never happened...

mb

mb

mb

mb

mb

...my life would be much less interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very doubtful if the Confederacy and the Union would have reconciled. Once the South won independence, it is very unlikely they would have rejoined the Union under any circumstance. I imagine that this action would have decisively affected the first and second world wars. If you are interested in alternate history, check out Harry Turtledove and his take on the South winning the Civil War.

The ACW was inevitable because of the need to resolve the issues of federal and state power and the issue of slavery. If not Lincoln being elected, it would have been some Republican candidate that would have stirred the Southerners to revolt believing that the federal government was going to interfere with slavery or their states rights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Every western democracy eventually renounced slavery, so it seems to me that the Confederated States would have done so also at some point. Would the CSA and USA have reconciled in a post-emancipation age?

Slavery in the Southern states likely would've died by the end of the 19th Century because mechanical innovations of the Industrial Revolution were making the institution cost ineffective. Segregation would've persisted well into the 20th Century.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Quote:

...my life would be much less interesting.

I wouldn't say so.

You now missed the epic war between the CSA and Mexico. And don't forget how the CSA turned WWI into a victory for the Central Powers. Some guy named de Gaulle couldn't get over this defeat and conquered Germany 1940 in WWII after claiming he "only" wanted the Alsace back. Well, he shouldn't have attacked the USSR later on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
It's hard to imagine how to respond without a more detailed scenario.

What if the war hadn't happened, because.... why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The American west would have been settled much more slowly, for one thing. The problems of "Bleeding Kansas" would have applied to all of the territories.

Plus, the transcontinental railroad wouldn't have been built as soon as it was. It was only after the southern representatives and senators left the congress that the route (through northern territories) was selected and the laws paying for it were passed.

Slavery would have endured for at least a few more decades. The South's economy was totally dependent on it. Given that South Africa kept Apartheid going until the 1980s, there's no telling when it would have ended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's an important follow-up still missing.

If the ACW never happened, are we working with one nation, or two? That would dictate the directions the nation (or nations) would take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a mockumentary that covers the same hypothetical question, CSA The Confederate States Of America . The South wins. Get it from Netflix if you can. Kind of funny, kind of disturbing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Segregation would've persisted well into the 20th Century.

Imagine that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. J. Robinson
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
I agree with the poster who wrote that the Civil War was probably inevitable. Even had the North permitted the southern states to leave the Union and become their own nation, there likely would have been proxy wars as the American west was being settled, i.e. Bleeding Kansas would have been a harbinger of things to come, and a war between the CSA and Mexico would not have been out of the question. After the Civil War, the south remained the poorest region in the nation well into the 20th century. As a poor independent nation, particulary one where slavery continued or assuming the end of slavery but in its place de jure apartheid-type segregation continued to exist (as it did until the 1960s) would likely have marginalized the CSA on the global stage. I can envision a scenario in which it might have remained neutral during World War II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixie would have got better ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

There would be 6 million more Americans right now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, maybe conservative. I just did
(# of dead in Civil War / US population in 1860) * US population today.

Essentially assuming the ones who died in the Civil War would procreate at the same rate as the rest of the nation in 1860.

Who knows if that's a reasonable assumption? I was just struck by the fact that we're talking about millions more people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a much less serious note - wasn't FASA's Crimson Skies tabletop and video games based on the premise that the ACW never occurred? IIRC the result is that a number of city focused nations arose; i.e. Confederation of Dixie (Atlanta), Industrial States of America (Chicago), Atlantic Coalition (Boston), Nation of Hollywood (Los Angeles), etc. In a way those nations were similar to the city states of ancient Greece i.e. Athena and Sparta. I might be wrong about the avoidance of the Civil War as being the cause, but it sure was a fun and wacky alternate USA the game creators came up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.