Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lol'd when I saw this. It's a good example of what can happen on a site when people don't behave. Though to be fair, there was a lot of anonymous asshattery going on in those comments. The accompanying pic they used was especially entertaining.

Endgadget wrote:

We're turning comments off for a bit

Hey guys, we know you like to have your fun, voice your opinions, and argue over your favorite gear, but over the past few days the tone in comments has really gotten out of hand. What is normally a charged -- but fun -- environment for our users and editors has become mean, ugly, pointless, and frankly threatening in some situations... and that's just not acceptable. Some of you out there in the world of anonymous grandstanding have gotten the impression that you run the place, but that's simply not the case.

Luckily, our commenting community makes up only a small percentage of our readership (and the bad eggs an even smaller part of that number), so while they may be loud, they don't speak for most people who come to Engadget looking for tech news. Regardless, we're going to crank things down for a little bit to let everyone just cool off, and we'll switch them back on when we feel like we've shaken some of the trolls and spammers loose from the branches (AKA swing the banhammer in our downtime). See you on the other side!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly don't know why most sites have comments in the first place. Almost nothing of value ever turns up in those comments. This idea that readers should be able to interact with content is horseshit; they're readers for a reason.

The worst offenders are newspaper sites. I've never seen a single newspaper story whose comments were anything more than a horrific freakshow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
I honestly don't know why most sites have comments in the first place. Almost nothing of value ever turns up in those comments. This idea that readers should be able to interact with content is horseshit; they're readers for a reason.

The worst offenders are newspaper sites. I've never seen a single newspaper story whose comments were anything more than a horrific freakshow.

Agreed. It's just as bad at cnn.com. Sometimes, the comments on their stories are downright moronic and offensive, and yet they remain for all to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Anonymous comments are internet graffiti.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuri Walkiw
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I didn't pay too much attention to the comments anyway. Once in a while they would be interesting if the post had a good question for the readers. (eg What are good wallpaper sites, what are the best hacks for "insert random device here" etc...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was an awesome pic.

The iPad got a whole bunch of people riled up, though it hardly compared to your typical You Tube comments.

As for other websites, while I haven't exhaustively scanned the site, I've seen a lot of well thought out commentary on the New York Times website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
Yep. Anonymous comments are internet graffiti.

whoa. that's a big dis to graffiti.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, less comments please. More awesome pictures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.