Popular Tags: [View All]
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG boxes... possibly the most fragile, worst quality boxes i have ever seen (and that even includes boxes from small publishers!)

I opened the lid of my Chaos in the Old World box... carefully. But one corner came apart

I removed the countersheets, picked up the box and... there goes another side! Amazing!

It reminded me of my copy of Runebound. Similar trashy box!

FFG you are now a large publisher so maybe it is time to stop producing these low cost crap boxes and make something of better quality that people can actually pick up without coming apart. Check a few German boxes as an example of good quality boxes if you don't know how to do it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm really?

I have opened many FFG boxes, even for the games you mentionned, never had a single problem...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dude
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to tempt karma, but I have not had any problems either. These FFG boxes are incredible compared to the old GW boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djbrickhaus wrote:
Not to tempt karma, but I have not had any problems either. These FFG boxes are incredible compared to the old GW boxes.

QFT

the old GW boxes were complete garbage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own quite a collection of FFG games (TI3, Warrior Knights, Starcraft, Game of Thrones, Britannia, ...you get the picture), and I've always felt these were some of the sturdiest game boxes I own (next to my GMT Commands & Colors Ancients boxes - those things are armored). I can't say I would agree with your assessment - I have never had a problem with any of my FFG boxes coming apart - not even close.

Maybe you just have bad luck when it comes to game boxes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My CitOW box is very sturdy. Perhaps it's a different printer for the version you get in Greece or are you importing the US version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I own quite a collection of FFG games (TI3, Warrior Knights, Starcraft, Game of Thrones, Britannia, ...you get the picture), and I've always felt these were some of the sturdiest game boxes I own (next to my GMT Commands & Colors Ancients boxes - those things are armored). I can't say I would agree with your assessment - I have never had a problem with any of my FFG boxes coming apart - not even close.

Maybe you just have bad luck when it comes to game boxes?

GREAT description of the C&C:A boxes!!! laugh

And I'll add my voice to those who've never had Problem #1 with a box from FFG...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Copple
United States
Northfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear your box isnt up to par. Maybe in a random sampling of one, you got the {fluffybunny} end of the stick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to agree with the others - FFG boxes tend to be the sturdiest of all the games I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EP Papa
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None of my FFG boxes have had any problems. None of my friends boxes either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
You must've gotten the short straw on your boxes. All of my FFG boxes are some of the best that I have. Now, the old GW ones...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive had trouble with two of my FFG boxes too, CitOW and BSG blew out corners rather easily on the cover side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glauco Micsik Roberti
Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
publisher
Berserkr Jogos
badge
Berserkr Jogos
mbmbmbmbmb
jwoodall04 wrote:
I think I could beat someone to death with my GMT boxes. FFG hold up to shelf wear alright though.

If I were to really choose a box as weapon though I think I'd go with Valley Games Titan. That thing is a beast.

Wait, what was this thread about?

I will have to call... BOXFIGHT! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glauco Micsik Roberti
Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
publisher
Berserkr Jogos
badge
Berserkr Jogos
mbmbmbmbmb
Could it be that your seller is acquiring FFG ding & dent games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find FFG boxes to be pretty good. Only UPS can break them shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Miller
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My Chaos in the Old world and a few other FFG boxes have split.

I've probably opened it 10-15 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the occasional issue with a FFG box not having the paper glued to the cardboard very well, but I'm mostly happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the same thing with Middle-earth Quest. The components were pretty, but felt like they were made of cheaper grade board than previous games in my collection.

I would not be surprised if they were cutting a few corners. They've kinda component-ized themselves into a corner. Like they are afraid the "fans" would be disappointed with a great game that had no plastic in it.

I for one wouldn't mind less plastic and flash in lieu of better cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like maybe more recent FFG offerings are the ones with the problems. I haven't bought any of the newest FFG games, so maybe they've cut a corner or two in the last year or so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwoodall04 wrote:
I think I could beat someone to death with my GMT boxes. FFG hold up to shelf wear alright though.

If I were to really choose a box as weapon though I think I'd go with Valley Games Titan. That thing is a beast.

Wait, what was this thread about?

I've never held a Valley Games Titan box in my hands but I think my Z-man 2009 Tales of the Arabian Nights box could be a strong competitor.

I've owned several FFG games (War of the Ring, Arkham Horror, World of Warcraft: The Boardgame, and most recently Runewars) and have never had a problem with the boxes. You might just have really bad luck with boxes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have disturbed the FFG army! They will rise up against you and flood you with such useful anecdotes as "I own 2109 FFG games and they are all fine!", "your retailer suxxx", and "keep your cats out of the box lids newb".

For what it's worth, I have had two FFG boxes (out of a total of 5 games) split corners without much effort on my part. For a frame of reference, the games that split are games which have only left my house twice. Compare this to the other ~100 german games I have owned, many of which have been lugged around for years in everything from a backpack to my bare hands, and only sustained two split corners, one of which was due to being literally stepped on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree somewhat. I don't think they've been terrible by any means, but I've had a couple of blowouts in my larger FFG boxes. World of Warcraft the Boardgame got a rip in the top. I think it's actually because the box is almost air tight so you have to be careful and not push the lid on too quickly.

I could probably stack a couple GMT boxes and use them as a step ladder. Those things are bulletproof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Miller
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brand new shrink-wrapped copy of Tide of Iron.

Had one of the corners split the first day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, you need a new hobby. Just an opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
You have disturbed the FFG army! They will rise up against you and flood you with such useful anecdotes as "I own 2109 FFG games and they are all fine!", "your retailer suxxx", and "keep your cats out of the box lids newb".

For what it's worth, I have had two FFG boxes (out of a total of 5 games) split corners without much effort on my part. For a frame of reference, the games that split are games which have only left my house twice. Compare this to the other ~100 german games I have owned, many of which have been lugged around for years in everything from a backpack to my bare hands, and only sustained two split corners, one of which was due to being literally stepped on.

I'm a far cry from the FFG army, and I'll rise up and say that the few FFG games I own have very sturdy boxes that have held up very well. I tend to care for my games, though, so *shrugs*

I would suspect that the larger boxes -- Tide of Iron, World of Warcraft, Starcraft, etc -- will be more susceptible to splitting simply because their size isn't very conducive to structural integrity. Am I really talking about the structural integrity of game boxes???

Kill me now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.