Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The text for the wild Fungus flare states that if the player holding the card "discards" the card, then they lose the extra ships the flare allows them to hold around their system.

My question has to do with the meaning of the word "discard." Does the card mean that the ships are lost only if the player is forced to discard the card through some game effect, or does it also mean that if the holder loses the flare in some other way (say as a result of a compensation draw), then the ships go away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
It would seem that what it means once a player builds a shield it is there forever unless he happens to have the card in his hand it loses it in any way other than someone else taking it.

Seems broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, although the game is usually pretty meticulous about it's wording, I'm sure "discard" simply means, in this case, "losing the card by any means"....

It just makes sense that way, I think. Otherwise once you build up some ships, you'd almost want to have the card stolen, that way you couldn't lose the ships... and that just doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the flare.

It's definitely how we'll be playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Withem

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you want to look at the general meaning of the flare, then be careful rifts (from the reward deck) only work when taken by another player, not when discarded. Which is sort f the exact opposite. I personally am still up in teh air about this one mainly because (a) its extremely overpowered if opponents lose a big battle and (b) its extremely mean because for all intensive purposes the shield-ships are RFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we played with it verbatim, rationalizing that there are plenty of game effects that specifically force discards, and changing the meaning of "discard" to include effects such as compensation draws makes the game a lot messier. Hopefully someone from FFG will weigh in on this in a FAQ later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Eon's original Wild Fungus said "When you lose this card...". I am modifying my Fungus flare to use the original wording.

I think FFG just made an unfortunate editing decision, and my guess is that they will fix it in the next FAQ update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even besides the clarification, does this card not seem too powerful? If I understand correctly a person wins as a defender and gets a shield. Next time they are attacked they win again (thanks to the fortification) and their shield grows and so on until someone steals the card? Seems much better than the original fungus power itself and a little better even than the super. What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Withem

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
negotiate > fungus flare. steal the thing from his hand. ina group effort its bound to happen.

In terms of flares though it is very very powerful. almost as powerful as the merchant wild...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like it could easily take multiple negotiates giving them a few colonies making it a very poor strategy for removal. It just seems to me for something like this that is effectively an on-going thing, they should have to play the flare every turn to keep it active. That way at least they can't keep using other flares, and it makes it easier to steal/destroy. In our game he deployed his defense field, and would build it up even more when attacked, but when we was attacking he would use a different flare which seems a little weird to me since there is another active flare effect in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koo _
msg tools
Even if changing word discard to lost (still there is no clarification for this?) this flare is powerful when combined with Miser or Cryo*

* - flare is definitely not lost/discarded when frozen, I'm correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.