Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Lessard
Canada
Breakeyville
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we expend a settlement, even if the landscape we choose has only one tile ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, it seems pretty clear that the number of adjacent hexes of the named terrain type can be one.

A more amusing question is: can you name a terrain type for which there are zero hexes next to your settlement, in order to intentionally place zero huts (as a delaying tactic)? The description of expansion does not actually say that you must name a landscape which actually exists next your settlement... devil

...but higher up the page (in "General building rules") it's indeed explicitly stated: "A player must place one or more playing pieces from his pool on the landscape."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
A more amusing question is: can you name a terrain type for which there are zero hexes next to your settlement, in order to intentionally place zero huts (as a delaying tactic)?

This is not covered in the Taluva FAQ (which I wrote). Until Marcel himself says otherwise, I would say that you can't.

Rules Page 3 wrote:
Part 2: place 1 or more buildings
A player must always place 1 or more buildings from his supply on the game board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
This is not covered in the Taluva FAQ (which I wrote). Until Marcel himself says otherwise, I would say that you can't.

Yes, I totally agree and I think there's no doubt (because of the rule we both quoted).

My question was not from sincere doubt/confusion, but just in the vein of having fun exploring the rules, inspired by the OP's question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
A more amusing question is: can you name a terrain type for which there are zero hexes next to your settlement, in order to intentionally place zero huts (as a delaying tactic)?

TBH I've never seen anyone using a delaying tactic in Taluva. I can't even imagine that it could lead to a victory.

PS
Of course from the formal point of view your question is valid. IMHO your answer is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
macike wrote:
TBH I've never seen anyone using a delaying tactic in Taluva. I can't even imagine that it could lead to a victory.

I've seen situations where one would wish to place no buildings - not to lead to victory so much as to delay defeat. I.e. when you're going to lose soon, due to having no building to place next turn, after you reluctantly place your last hut this turn and know that you have no way to place a temple or tower next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I've seen situations where one would wish to place no buildings - not to lead to victory so much as to delay defeat

Being unable to do a legal move is an instant defeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
macike wrote:

Right. You might want to lay a tile, do a null build, then lay another tile and build a tower, so I can see the delay rule plausibly working in a game with so few terrain types that it's hard to get. As is, you would almost always be able to frustrate the must build rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
macike wrote:
russ wrote:
I've seen situations where one would wish to place no buildings - not to lead to victory so much as to delay defeat

Right, which is why there are times you wish (in desperation) that you didn't have to place a building, i.e. that it was legal to not place one, so you wouldn't suffer the instant defeat!

Of course in situations where neither player has a plausible way to get their last temple or tower placed, the (hypothetical) ability to not place a building would lead to a draw as they both keep passing to avoid the instant defeat of not being able to place a building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Of course in situations where neither player has a plausible way to get their last temple or tower placed, the (hypothetical) ability to not place a building would lead to a draw as they both keep passing to avoid the instant defeat of not being able to place a building.

The game ends when there are no more tiles to place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
The game ends when there are no more tiles to place.

I wondered if someone would mention that when I typed my smiley about the game lasting forever in that case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.