Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
New Kids on the Block Game must have been intended to provide an exciting play experience... every third sentence in the rule booklet ends with an exclamation point!

This NKOTB game is designed to be enjoyed by two, three, or four players ages 8 and older. Only a small amount of reading is required. This title was published in 1990 by Milton Bradley.

(As an item of interest, the "NKOTB" sequence does not trigger a correction on my computer’s spell check program. That is truly frightening.)

Players travel around a typical roll-and-move game board and attempt to collect "glamour shots" pictures of Jordan, Joe, Jonathan, Donnie, and Danny. Even after doing some quick research on the back of the box I still can’t tell these teenagers apart. I ended up grabbing random NKOTB pictures from the pile to fill my quota.

This game includes the worst elements of the standard roll-and-move design -- exact die rolls needed to reach crucial areas of the board or shuffling back and forth waiting for the magic number to be rolled. Players draw cards during the game but often the card is useless or simply teleports a token from one end of the board to the other with no discernable effect on play.

There is a microscopic amount of strategy at the end of the game; the players are presented with a bit of a push-your-luck dilemma at the finish line. A player must roll a 10 or more on the die to win and the player may add one to the die roll for each publicity photo he or she possesses. This was the only glimmer of creativity in the entire rule booklet.

This game is probably going in the dumpster unless some former NKOTB fan urgently requests this copy to relive his or her Clearasil years. I plan to keep this dreary game from poisoning the mind of some potential BGG user by taking it out of circulation before it ruins the hobby for some unwitting thrift store customer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Ok, someone thinks it's worth something.

EDIT: for posterity's sake, that's an ebay auction for 20 bucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iken Owens
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup For taking one for the BGG collective, and clearing this gaming landmine from a thrift store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic review!

The pictures of game componentsreally work well to drive home your points.

Hilarious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This NKOTB game is designed to be enjoyed by two, three, or four players ages 8 and older.

This is the only error I found in your review. It clearly ought to have read:

Quote:
This NKOTB game is designed to be a cheaply produced cash-cow for the singers' agents and production studio, played by two, three, or four players ages teeny-bopper to high-school junior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Van Vorst
United States
Spencer
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember these guys...it seems like every decade a Boy Band erupts onto the scene (like a pimple on a teenager's nose just before the prom) and shakes up little girls hearts for a few years, and then they dissapear into oblivion never to be heard from again. So it is with the New Kids.

However, I can't totally diss all of the bandmembers...Donnie Wahlberg "redeemed" himself a hundred-fold by starring as 2LT Carwood Lipton in the excellent WW2 miniseries Band of Brothers. He's the man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fawcett
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
(As an item of interest, the "NKOTB" sequence does not trigger a correction on my computer’s spell check program. That is truly frightening.)

No fear. Most spellcheckers are set to ignore all-capital text strings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.