Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently purchased Dominion and all the expansions, and the first idea that occurred to me was to play with more than 10 decks per game. I looked through the variant threads and did not see anything related to it.

Has anyone tried playing with more than 10 decks per game? I feel it would add more of a variety for each player to have more uniquely customized decks.

If anyone has attempted this variant, were there any other rules that have been added to accommodate the greater number of draw decks?

My apologies if I have overlooked that this topic has been discussed prior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Whipple
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun idea. It would make the action cards more relevant to the game. On the other hand though, it would be even more rare for the game to end by 3 supply piles running out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kinney

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Often if we have more than 4 people play (which I know is not recommended, but it happens), we'll play with 12 decks, and play til 4 piles are gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malakant wrote:
Sounds like a fun idea. It would make the action cards more relevant to the game. On the other hand though, it would be even more rare for the game to end by 3 supply piles running out.

Agreed, you would have to modify the supply pile rule to accomodate the extra decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From Intrigue, concerning more than four players:

Quote:

To set up for 5 or 6 players, combine the Treasure cards from Dominion and Dominion:
Intrigue. Use 15 Provinces in the Supply for a 5-player game and 18 Provinces in the Supply for a 6-player game. All other Victory card piles (Estates, Duchies, and Victory Kingdom cards) remain at 12 cards per pile. Use 40 Curse cards for a 5-player game and 50 Curse cards for a 6-player game.

In a 5 or 6 player game, the game ends at the end of any player’s turn when one of two conditions is met: the Supply pile of Province cards is empty OR any 4 Supply piles are empty.

Note that they don't recommend more than 10 Kingdom card piles. To be honest, more choice in this case will lead to more conformity among plays. I'd rather have many different games than a few games that boil down to selection of the same cards over and over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Traviss
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even playing with 10 kingdom cards, there's usually one or two cards which are not purchased. I don't think that adding more cards would do much more than add more piles that remain untouched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing you could do is use this rule to ensure that cards at every cost level (2 - 6) are in the game. Frequently with a random pick of 10 cards, you end up with a whole lot of cards at one cost (i.e. 5 cards that cost 4).

It would be interesting to try a setup containing exactly 2 cards of each cost. Of course, this will break if cards costing 1 or 7 are introduced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Faranim wrote:
Another thing you could do is use this rule to ensure that cards at every cost level (2 - 6) are in the game. Frequently with a random pick of 10 cards, you end up with a whole lot of cards at one cost (i.e. 5 cards that cost 4).

It would be interesting to try a setup containing exactly 2 cards of each cost. Of course, this will break if cards costing 1 or 7 are introduced.

Aside from the obvious problem that the very small number of Cost 6 cards means that you'll be playing an absurdly high number of games with them, I don't see anything wrong with an uneven Kingdom Card distribution, even including holes in certain numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, You could split it however you like. Perhaps it makes more sense to have 1 Cost 6 card and 3 cards that Cost 4 (I am pretty sure 4 is the most common card cost? Plus it fits nicely between Silver and Duchy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Faranim wrote:
Well, You could split it however you like. Perhaps it makes more sense to have 1 Cost 6 card and 3 cards that Cost 4 (I am pretty sure 4 is the most common card cost? Plus it fits nicely between Silver and Duchy).

Even a single 6-cost card means that you'll be seeing Nobles, Harem, and Adventurer in a third of your games each. Remember that if you were playing randomly with all 78 cards, they would normally only come up about one in eight games each. That's a very strange skew.

More fundamentally, though, one of the nice things about Dominion is its variability - that's why it has so much replay value. If you try to make all games more similar to each other, the game becomes less interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Holes in certain numbers (1 and 7) and uneven distributions of cards are design characteristics and part of the strategy. This is one reason why extra buys are useful, that is, one can purchase interesting combinations (or choose "free" coppers).

_mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
Has anyone tried playing with more than 10 decks per game?

I've played games with 5 or 6 players where we added and 1 or 2 kingdom card piles to the supply.
(But still only 1 deck per person )

I prefer to stick with 10 kingdom card piles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.