15 Posts

Summoner Wars» Forums » General

Subject: orcs and elves or goblins and dwarves? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
friz beau
msg tools
mbmbmb
What's better orcs and elves or goblins and dwarves?
Only have enough $ for one of them.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Quintal
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd go with orcs & elves. Gives you a nice mix of strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both have one race easy to pick up (Elves and Goblins), and one race that takes a little getting used to (Orcs and Dwarves)...

I think the only way I could call is like this:

Do you want a game of careful choices and the ability to balance out bad luck with dice? Orcs/Elves

Do you want a more action packed game with a field filled with combatants? Gobs/Dwarves

My best suggestion would be to buy one and save for the others!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Find a buddy to go in with, and get one of each.
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trouble is, Elves are so rubbish... has anyone really won with them, apart from flukes or playing novice players?! Their champion can easily be bumped off and the shamans rarely seem to get a hit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the Elves and Orcs easier to teach as the Goblins and Dwarves had the rules about attacking with the fighters after the attack phase which for my daughters confused them at first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
Trouble is, Elves are so rubbish... has anyone really won with them, apart from flukes or playing novice players?! Their champion can easily be bumped off and the shamans rarely seem to get a hit!

I haven't seen an Elvish Shaman ninja

In one 4 player game the Elves beat about everyone up baaadly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
Trouble is, Elves are so rubbish...

I have seen the Elves win multiple times. I played twice Sunday night. I lost to the Elves with the gobs, and I beat them with the Dwarves.

The Elves have great champions, but the deck is at its best when played carefully. I find I am much more careful about sacrificing a unit with the Elves than I am with any other faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bistro
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People say bad things about my Elves. Then my Elves kill them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:

Wasn't there a guy who was saying that he couldn't beat the Elves with the Tundra Orcs in his first 4 games?

The more I play, the more I think the factions are balanced. My favorite faction is the one I'm playing right now.

To the OP... I'd browse through the art and see who you like the most aesthetically. If I could have only bought one, it'd probably be the Phoenix Elves/Tundra Orcs set, but I like them both quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jexik wrote:
Wasn't there a guy who was saying that he couldn't beat the Elves with the Tundra Orcs in his first 4 games?

Heh. Yeah. My original snarky response was going to be:
"I thought the Elves were overpowered this week. Someone needs to keep a score card on the problems with this game-- I am getting lost."

As I said in the "Elves are Broken" thread, any game with disparate factions tends to attract this reaction.

Why do you think everyone wants to be the racecar in Monopoly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for the Orcs and Elfs one just because they are more popular races than Dwarfs and Goblins. Not just in the media, but people who see the game usually pick one of those first (until i say that the goblins are Zerg-like). Also i find the concept of luck/precision more appealing and more evident too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
cookinjr wrote:
Why do you think everyone wants to be the racecar in Monopoly?

Probably because they somehow believe it will get them out of the game faster, so they can play a good game.
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now won with every faction versus every other faction, and also lost with every faction against every other faction (24 games in total).

So assuming I have some consistency of play, and average die-rolling luck I conclude that the factions are pretty balanced!!

Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beau831 wrote:
What's better orcs and elves or goblins and dwarves?
Only have enough $ for one of them.
Thanks!

There was a good thread on this topic:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/477646/which-starter-to-...

I'll repost what I said there:

I'd echo the opinion of anyone telling you that one starter will promptly leave you wanting the other, and that two starters give you the option of 2 v 2, which I'm told is a blast (I haven't gotten the chance to try it myself yet).

That having been said, I'll try to describe the features of the two different sets. Each faction runs very differently, so choose the set that represents the playstyles that most appeal to you:

Phoenix Elves Vs. Tundra Orcs

Phoenix Elves are about precise strategy and tactics. Their units and events allow you to assign specific amounts of damage, often at range, instead of rolling dice. Their warriors strike and then teleport away. Though you'll never be able to completely eliminate the aspect of chance, the Phoenix Elves can control it much more than the other factions.

Tundra Orcs are much the opposite. They're big hitters, and they roll a lot of dice. Having a hot run on the bones can quickly spell doom for your opponent. If you roll well enough, your warriors can attack multiple times in a single turn. Luck is a fickle mistresses, and she can leave you exposed, but if you can manage the odds and don't mind putting it all on the line, the Tundra Orcs are for you.

Cave Goblins Vs. Guild Dwarves

The Cave Goblins run like a swarm deck. You'll quickly outnumber your opponent's units, and if you can drown them in your numbers, the day will be yours. But if the tide turns against you, your opponent will start chewing up your weenies and turning them into magic to summon his own units.

The Guild Dwarves shares some similarities with a control deck; their cheaper units can lock up enemy units, controlling your opponent's movement, while their engineers destroy your opponent's walls, cutting off your opponent's ability to summon reinforcements.

For more specific information, visit the Plaid Hat website, where you can look at the unit and event cards for each faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.