Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play a card that wins a state for you, and it also allows you to draw a card, is the card drawn (and looked at) before or after you choose a new state?

The rules when say when a card is played, the instructions are followed, which seems to say do everything on the card at once, but it also says if conditions are met the player wins the state immediately.

Seeing the newly drawn card first could influence which state is chosen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Creighton
United States
Decatur
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing the opposite way. We have been drawing the card and taking it into account when choosing the new state to bring into play. This is the way I interpreted the rules. I assumed the mention of the immediate state replacement referred to the effects of going negative and ZNN card resolving, but not to the effects of the card that was just played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Leonhard
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Players should be allowed to look at such cards, because what's really supposed to be happening here (although it may be unclear in the rules) is that you completely resolve the effect of your event, then claim any won states (bringing in replacements and resolving breaking news events for each, one at a time), then roll the going negative die if necessary. Since getting the card is part of resolving the event, there's no reason a player shouldn't get to look at it.

The emphasis on the "immediately" part should really be taken to mean "immediately after resolving the event." For example, it definitely doesn't mean that if you are discarding 3 cards to place 3 support in 3 different states you can claim a state and bring in its replacement after placing the first support, before placing the rest. Sorry for any ambiguity in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.