Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Variants

Subject: Best Home-brews series #1 - ARCHON - Controls Deals And Compensation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
I am starting a series of my best aliens from my other topic, giving each of the best from that topic a topic of its own. Their were 13-14, in these there will be about half. These are the ones I think are good enough to be part of an FFG expansion down the line. You be the judge:

[_] ARCHON Controls Deals And Compensation [_]

You have the power of Dominance. Whenever you gain a negotiate card, you may use this power to discard it and draw a new card in its place from whatever source you gained it from (decks or players).

If you are required to give compensation, you may use this power to cancel that compensation.

If you somehow become involved in a deal, you may use this power to quash the deal. Your opponent loses ships to the warp but you do not. This counts as a successful encounter for you if you are the offensive player.

Intimidating beings of violent energy housed in large humanoid frames, their is no word in the Archon vocabulary for "mercy". It is against their very nature to concede defeat; because mercilessness and cruelty are regarded as virtues to this race. They desire to rule over the cosmos and for their name to be known far and wide.

As Any Player Optional[/COLOR]
[BGCOLOR=#FF6600]Start Turn Regroup Destiny Launch Alliance Planning Reveal Resolution

Wild: As a main player, you may discard any of your negotiate cards and draw the same number of replacements from the deck. If the replacements contain any negotiate cards, you may repeat this process until you are satisfied with the number of negotiates you have.
Main Player Only Any Phase

Super: When using you power, you may take compensation from the player that tried taking it from you. Your opponent loses 6 ships to the warp when using your power in a deal.
As Any Player Any Phase

What's unique about it?: The obvious uniqueness is that it is a power based around punishing other players who try to use diplomacy against you. This is the only alien I've seen the specifically crushes compensation and deals with no ill effects to itself, effectively terrorizing players from ever trying to do so. Also unique in that it can eliminate negotiates in its hand for more useful cards instead.

Why would I want to play it?: This power helps you win in a number of ways. You will always have control over how many negotiates you have, and you'll be able to rip cards from people's hands if you get more than you want from them. Because of this, you'll always have a better combat hand. Every time a player plays a negotiate against you, it effectively is like they played a - 1000, and they get trampled, unless you WANT them to take your cards. Anyone foolish enough to use Emotional Control against you will lose their ships instead (or force someone else to), again unless you WANT to make a deal. This gives Archon some good leverage in hand management and also keeps your cards secure. Like to dominate other players and laugh at their attempts to weasel cards or planets from you? Look no further than ARCHON!

Useful against: Against all powers that try to get you crap cards, such as Hacker, Trader, Philanthropist, as if you get any negotiates from them you can discard them and then continue stealing one card at a time from their hand until you get a non-negotiate. Trader will be very cautious when thinking of trading hands with you. This power absolutely crushes Empath (If he is ever added) and Ethic to bloody pulps.

Countered by: Powers that have extremely high attack power like Virus, Leviathan or Warpish, as there is little recourse Archon can take except to negotiate with whichever ones he has kept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heroic Monkey
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Best Home-brews series #1 - ARCHON - Does not deal or compensate
I think I read this power when I was skimming the FFG forums. Not trying to be a suck-up, but out of the powers I read, this was my favorite one. It looks like a lot of fun.

It seems like Pacifist should be in the "countered by" section as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm afraid I have to take a divergent view. I think this alien would hurt you as much as it helped you.

- You can never deal for bases
- You can never get compensation
- You can never get rid of bad cards through compensation.
- You can never turn around a losing encounter.

In my mind, without negotiates Cosmic becomes a game of "Best combat bonus and/or card wins." I'm not sure that I agree that never paying compensation will result in a stronger hand. I tend to give away a lot more 03s and 04s than 40s. While a hand of 5 negotiates is often bad news, a hand with none at all IMHO gives you very few options.

Negotiates let the underdog have a chance and makes beatdown Aliens think a bit more during encounters. Archon never gets a crack at the underdog-boosting Negotiates but doesn't actually have a combat power to help him win without one.

(BTW: Heroic Monkey, Pacifist isn't countered by this Alien. His power isn't to force you into deals. His power is to *win* if he plays a negotiate and you don't. What would happen after the reveal doesn't concern him.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heroic Monkey
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhamin wrote:

(BTW: Heroic Monkey, Pacifist isn't countered by this Alien. His power isn't to force you into deals. His power is to *win* if he plays a negotiate and you don't. What would happen after the reveal doesn't concern him.)

I meant the other way around ... Archon would be countered by Pacifist. If Pacifist has an N, it knows it can win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the tossing of N's is too clunky and unneeded. If you just make Archon an optional power, then he becomes more powerful.

He may refuse to give compensation (no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to take it... how else can he stop Genius?)

He may quash a deal without losing ships. Deals are often "mutually" beneficial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
I see everyone's point. The negotiate discarding has been made a part of the power and now all 3 parts are optional. Changed history and comments on bottom to reflect changes.

Are the Meeple Peoples rejoicing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Shameless bump to see if any of the powers that be like this idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Not crazy about it. It's trying to do three different things that don't seem connected to each other, and I just don't get how the functions, title, and power word all fit into a concept I can easily grasp. Too much to keep in my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.