Subject: Trading in the Sakai rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting little trading game by Kenichi Tanabe for 3-5 merchants. The game comes in a small box (not as attractive as the other games by this company) but the components are nice. It contains a wooden ship marker for start player, a bag of cubes (7 colors x 9 cubes), 40 goods cards, 9 order tiles and 5 scoring summary cards. The basic tenet is set collecting. Players need sets of export goods or cubes to purchase import goods or cards to score with. The player with the most VP wins.

Dependent on number of players, the goods cards are shuffled and placed face down into 5 groupings one for each round. The first grouping is face up. Each player takes a Score summary card and draws 5 random cubes from the bag and places then next to their score card (the export area). Cubes in the export area are public knowledge. Then each player draws 3 cubes from the bag and keep them hidden in hand. Each player except the start player then offers a cube to the start player. The start player chooses one player's cube and the rest are kept by the player that offered it. The person whose cube was chosen now gets shown one cube by each of the other players and so forth. When a player has no more cubes to offer the phase ends. Any cubes any other player has left over in their hand are now placed in their export area.

This is the interesting part of the game. It's not blind bidding and there is a bit of manipulation to the market you can do by offering cubes or export goods that other players don't want in an effort to try and keep them for your self. On the other hand you may try and offer cubes that will be taken so that you become the chooser and gain cubes you need.

Once that phase has ended, the start player chooses an order tile. These tiles are numbered from 1 to 9 and show goods on the cubes. For example the 1 tile shows 3 different export goods. 3 tile shows 3 of the same export good. The 4 tile shows 4 different export goods and so on. The player that picks the highest tile ie 9 tile becomes start player for the next round and gets first choice in trading export goods for an import card. If I have the 3 tile (3 of the same good-like 3 green cubes or 3 brown cubes) I can then use that order tile when and fulfill the order with 3 matching cubes and take a an import good card. If I still have enough export goods I can fulfill the order again. Export goods paid in this way are placed aside in a discard area.
Also if a player wishes they may pass on taking an order tile and instead draw 2 export goods from the bag but they will not be able to fill any orders this round.
When the bag is empty the cubes in the discard area are placed in the bag.

After 5 rounds the game is over and for each set of identical cards player scores 1 VP for one, 4 VP for 2 identical, 9 VP for 3 identical and so forth. This is summed with points earned for each unique card 1 VP for 1, 3 VP for 2, 3 VP for 3 and etc. Winner is the player with the most points.

So an interesting little trading game, we played with 3 but I'm definitely curious on how it plays with more. Almost short enough to qualify as a filler. I enjoyed the game because it's a bit different but wonder if I'll lose interest with repeated plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
And castella cake is comfortable feelings of simpler time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
not sure of grammar, but I like cake..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.