Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to really enjoy playing PC games like Starcraft, Warcraft, Dune, Command and Conquer, and Age of Empires.

I'd like to buy a board game or two that is similar to these video games... a game that has resource management, development (perhaps with a tech tree), and fighting.

I've not played Nexus Ops, Warcraft or Starcraft the boardgames, but Nexus Ops is actually at the top of my wishlist right now. What other games fall into this category besides the three I've listed here?

What to you consider to be the top games in this category?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis & Allies might be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Keuler
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider Space Dealer for the RTS aspects, no fighting to be found though. Well actually, there are some missiles to be developed but it hardly constitutes real warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scratches wrote:
I used to really enjoy playing PC games like Starcraft, Warcraft, Dune, Command and Conquer, and Age of Empires.

I'd like to buy a board game or two that is similar to these video games...

how about Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery ?

a little light on "tech tree", but might still be close to what you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
Reseñas de Juegos Argentinos
badge
Need a cool Graphic Design for a game you are Creating ? Maybe a banner for a kickstarter ? Ask for a quote... questions are for FREE :D
mbmbmbmbmb
May I recommend:

- NEXUS OPS
- WARCRAFT THE BOARDGAME + EXPANSION
- TWILIGHT IMPERIUM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nathan
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ares Project has been getting good press as well. It's not in the database yet, but is suppose to come out from Z-man this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:

how about Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery ?

a little light on "tech tree", but might still be close to what you are looking for.

Though this game is on my 'want to play' list, it isn't quite what I'm looking for. I really want something like Warcraft, where you have to dedicate workers to gather resources that you then use to build an army with which to go destroy your opponent's base.

rickkeuler wrote:
Consider Space Dealer for the RTS aspects, no fighting to be found though. Well actually, there are some missiles to be developed but it hardly constitutes real warfare.

Never heard of that before, that looks like a really cool game.

xitoliv wrote:
The Ares Project has been getting good press as well. It's not in the database yet, but is suppose to come out from Z-man this year.

Not heard of this one either, this looks like exactly what I'm looking for. It is in the database btw, just not much info yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xitoliv wrote:

The Ares Project is in the database, but there isn't a lot of info for it on its page yet:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65534/the-ares-projec...

You can learn more about it by listening to The Dice Tower. The designers have been commenting on the design process for a few episodes now. (I'm behind on the podcast, but I know it was mentioned in some of the episodes in the 150s, including #156.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Mythology: The Boardgame?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Resource management + Trading + Purchased improvements + Combat = Mare Nostrum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fulwiler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give Runewars a look

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Taylor
United States
Berryville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Just Another Washed Up Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
How long do you want the game to go? A good, solid tech-n-buildin'-n-fightin' game can go for 6-8 hours. Something lighter (Nexus Ops) is faster, but lacks some element of the above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have Starcraft on your list. That's the one you want. You won't be dissappointed. It's exactly what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manoel Salles
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops is a great game - one of my favourites - but the strategic (macro) aspect is almost non-existent. It's a tactical battle game through and through.

If you want base-building, tech trees and complex unit interaction, Starcraft is definitely what you're looking for, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stove wrote:
How long do you want the game to go? A good, solid tech-n-buildin'-n-fightin' game can go for 6-8 hours. Something lighter (Nexus Ops) is faster, but lacks some element of the above.

Probably not much more than 3ish hours. That's about how much time we have alotted at our game nights at the game store (4 tops, depending on the weeknight).

A lot of these recomendations look like great games. Looks like I'll put Starcraft high on the list, and I'm quite curious about Runewars as well.

Is Nexus Ops worth paying $45 for? That seems to be what it goes for on eBay lately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scratches wrote:

Is Nexus Ops worth paying $45 for? That seems to be what it goes for on eBay lately.

yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.