Popular Tags: [View All]
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know of a host engine that would allow a play by Email game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal has some modules that allow PBEM and online realtime

http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_v...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:

The interrupt rule makes this a really poor candidate for PBEM. It'd take a long, long time as each action your units took that were in sight of the enemy - which is most - you'd have to send a logfile and ask if they wanted to react.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:

The interrupt rule makes this a really poor candidate for PBEM. It'd take a long, long time as each action your units took that were in sight of the enemy - which is most - you'd have to send a logfile and ask if they wanted to react.

You are correct which is what I thought of soon after I posted the question. It would take a very long time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play live on vassal. Probably best to schedule a play date. Going online would allow a much faster gameplay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
Hey Jeff,
there's also a module for ZunTzu - I'd be up for that.
But yeah, we would have to play live.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanakor wrote:
Hey Jeff,
there's also a module for ZunTzu - I'd be up for that.
But yeah, we would have to play live.

I checked out and downloaded the Vassel version (linked in previous post above) it's preatty nice. If you want to give it a go one of these Sundays we can arrange a time to work it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
everybody seems to have a bias for vassal. The Zuntzu modules are far better and easier to use. So far I have not met anyone that I introduced the SoS Zuntzu module to that would say vassal was better after seeing first hand how much more superior Zuntzu is. There is a reason why Academy Games only lists a Zuntzu module for SOS...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I tried both and prefer Vassal. There you go, now you have met someone ;-)

PS: I always thought the "reason" was, that noone has done a Vassal module for SoS yet ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
One issue with Zuntzu is its obvious lack of cross-platform capabilities. Those of us running OSX or Linux prefer Vassal, for that obvious reason. There's simply no reason, as a cross-platform game programmer myself, not to have coded something like Zuntzu neutrally enough that making versions for other OSes trivial. Their bad. I would like to try Zuntzu at one point when it's available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment I think Zuntzu 2.0 will be platform independant. Silverlight is the base.

If find that Java based stuff is generally inferior. For some reason the graphics are always dull. A limitation in Java? I don't know. Lack of panning and scrolling seems common too. Is this hard to create in Java or something? Things written in C or whatever like most PC games are just what better. One wargame I bought was written in Java. Commander: Europe at War by Slitherine. The forums pretty much expressed the disdain most had for this choice.

Chris if I sat you down next to 2 computers with one running the Vassal version and one running the Zuntzu version of SoS, or Tide of Iron etc. You would see first hand that the player using Zuntzu can pan, zoom, roll the dice, all that simple stuff without using crappy scroll bars or going into a menu to select these options. When and if Vassal ever gets these things you will certainly appreciate it. While I do admit vassal has a lot of features hidden within the menu structure none of that is needed for COH or Tide of Iron which I both play using Zuntzu. I made the Zuntzu module and I picked that platform because for Tide of Iron you only need a simple screen area to hold your map board and cards and dice up in the corner ready to roll in an instant. No need to use a menu to select die type then how many. So by making my module for Zuntzu I increased playability by a lot. The downside is that players using Mac or Linux have to dual boot into windows to use. Not much of a downside considering the gain in playability I was able to achieve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ľudovít H
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lebatron wrote:
Is this hard to create in Java or something?

It is not hard to create it in Java. But it is harder to create it comparing to just use simple scroll pane with scrollbars. Check this image for Twilight Struggle game i'm developing:
It has no scrollpanes to move in map view, panning and zooming is done with mouse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work! I love TS myself, but have been disappointed by the wargameroom implementation of it. This will certainly be everyones prime choice. Thanks for making me aware of this. Where will you be posting future news so I can follow the progress?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ľudovít H
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lebatron wrote:
Where will you be posting future news so I can follow the progress?

I'll post an article in TS forum when it is ready for testing. Lets not spam this thread with OT. If you have more questions, send me geekmail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.