T Scott
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done a grand total of one play of this game and came away wondering why there are no cornering rules. I was cruising along at a speed of twelve with the finish line dead ahead, only to have my opponent put her vehicle into a massive overdrive, pull around a tight corner at 16 and pull ahead of me by one car length. She got to go first on the next turn as a result and breezed through the finish line, winning the game.

I was instantly reminded of a recent Circus Imperium game that I played where you couldn't blow through the corners like that. Each lane on a turn had a specific maximum speed defined. If you were going greater than this speed, you ran the risk of an automatic, forced lane change... potentially careening into the outside wall (or other players) if you were going too fast.

Any thoughts? Did I miss a rule? I'm thinking about making a house rule to get this same sort of effect (countered potentially by spending up steering points to maintain control.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The lane changes represent the "cornering". You need to use more lane changes the more spaces you move, but you get less lane changes as you drive faster. Ah, the dilemma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's true for obstacles, but the actual cornering doesn't use steering.

While it's true that this is unthematic, it doesn't really ruin the game since the tracks are chock-full of obstacles. The game works well enough despite the level of abstraction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
As the cornering spaces are reasonably obvious we considered implementing a simple rule stating that moving inwards on a corner would require two lane changes. A far nastier alternative would be to impose a forced outward lane change on a corner with one lane change required to hold a straight line and two to cut inside. This would possibly give the effect you require.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frederic Henry
France
Itteville
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting solution Phil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.