Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fuselage, as always after an episode, is choked... so I'll ramble here.

So there we go. I haven't hunted down spoilers before the show aired, so when I had heard Carlton say that to show even one frame of season six would spoil too much I had no idea what to expect.

There was a gleeful part of me hoping that everyone would be dressed in white, with a white jungle, similar to the ships of light in the old Battlestar Galactica.

So the show started with flashbacks, then we had flashforwards, then lots of jumping through time... finally we've got parallel timelines... and maybe smokey's an alien. I think Carlton has broken every promise they made back in season one about what they were not going to do, which is fine for me as Lost is looking to be the MVP of the decade.

So it looks like Sawyer is going to go run off into the jungle to get Juliet so he can dunk her in the spring and bring her back to life. It also means that Locke could come back... which is really important since he's got to go grab the submarine which he hid somewhere in the lagoon. Perhaps it'll be the ace card that will allow the two time lines to converge.

Meanwhile Jack and Locke have a connection, along with Jack and Desmond have now "see you in another life brother" connected, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, Aaron and Claire all have lined between their dots. Eventually they'll get sucked up in Ann Arbor, Michigan where Faraday had been working in the 70's.

Jack's father is the connection between the two time streams, which is appropriate that death is the gateway between the two worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And is Jacob really dead? Perhaps he now inhabits the body of Sayid. That could be why the water of the spring was no longer clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Arzt and Frogurt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That could be an angle.

I'm pretty sure that the "mouse trap" explanation that Locke gives when he was working in the toy store pretty much sums up the conflict between Jacob and Smoky/Esau/MiB. Jacob has been doing all of the convoluted things, making all of these connections, so that he can finally pin him down and trap him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They definitely hit on the only possible flashback they hadn't done yet, and while "parallel universe flash" sounds like a horrible idea those were actually my favorite parts of the first two episodes.

I too am interested to see how they converge them, and what Christian's purpose is in this whole mess. For a season promising answers, they are still generating more (and, WTF, where did that temple come from?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
rdonato926 wrote:
And is Jacob really dead? Perhaps he now inhabits the body of Sayid. That could be why the water of the spring was no longer clear.

Very possible that Jacob's death is what caused the water to become murky. Likewise possible that Jacob is animating Sayid. I don't follow the "that could be why" part.

Not a stretch to assume that when the water was clear it had healing properties. The temple leader's test showed that that is no longer the case. So the murkiness of the water likely indicates that it no longer heals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
rdonato926 wrote:

Very possible that Jacob's death is what caused the water to become murky. Likewise possible that Jacob is animating Sayid. I don't follow the "that could be why" part.

Not a stretch to assume that when the water was clear it had healing properties. The temple leader's test showed that that is no longer the case. So the murkiness of the water likely indicates that it no longer heals.

Well, my sentence structure needed work. I meant "And is Jacob really dead? That could be why the water of the spring was no longer clear. Perhaps he now inhabits the body of Sayid."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
I think Carlton has broken every promise they made back in season one about what they were not going to do

What were the promises?

I too nodded my head at the flash-other-nows; I think I may have even brought it up in some thread awhile back for the same reason stated here--it's the only flash they haven't done.

I can see these two threads running all season, but I'm not sure where that would end up. We can only end on one of the two (right?), and so you're writing yourself into a corner for a half-reset. I dunno. Farscape already did something like this years ago with the Chrichton clone.

As for the island, I like all the time-travel stuff, but I'm not so hot on the Jacob and Smokey voodoo.

BTW, good guess on Sayid being Jacob reborn. If fits with why the "dirty" water worked; it would parallel Locke nicely; it would lead to the final clash well; plus it would give Sayid something to do, as his character has kind of languished lately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that by the end of it all, we'll learn that Jacob orchestrated the whole thing to catch smoke-buddy, turning the tables on HIS plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Booooooo-ring. Every other season premiere and ending episode left me going "HOLY SHIT!". This one was, "oh, right I called that last year", and "Do they really need another set of Others with automatic weapons?" and "Oh, they were just going to shoot them summarily, but they had a note from Jacob, but then Sayid died, and they didn't decide to just shoot them anyway?" and then John Smokemonster...well, he was pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Two timelines? Back to life? WOW!!!!! I'm soooo glad I jump off the Lost bandwagon on mid season 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
I suspect that by the end of it all, we'll learn that Jacob orchestrated the whole thing to catch smoke-buddy, turning the tables on HIS plan.

Yeah, just go back to season one, episode 19 and watch the scene where Locke is talking to the kid about Mouse Trap. With only 43 minutes or so per episode, everything has to count and they wouldn't have bothered with that interaction unless it was significant.

That's one of the things that has been so satisfying with Lost over the years is that they payout to all of the obsessive fans by having dialogue that foreshadows what is to come, such as "see you in another life" which was just realized this last episode.

And then there was that great scene in season 3, episode 14 where the guys are going through Nikki's stuff to figure out what had happened to them. Hurley finds her Expose script for the opening scene of the episode where Mr. LaShade (kind of the Charlie of Charlie's Angels) shoots Nikki's character, revealing that he is in fact "The Cobra" who they'd been fighting all along.

What was great about it was that Hurley's exultant geeky revelation was all framed mostly off camera, with the shots emphasizing the other characters finding walkie talkies. Hurley was seemingly just babbling, but he was just laying out one of the other big arcs of the show.

After that, it was kind of obvious that Locke or Jack would become the bad guy at some point. What's great is that they let that clue simmer for two seasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
echoota wrote:
I think Carlton has broken every promise they made back in season one about what they were not going to do

What were the promises?

Yeah, to avoid being hyperbolic, I ought to be more precise. When you listen to the podcasts and read the interviews that Lindelof and Cuse give they get very sneaky and legalistic on how they state things.

So they didn't make promises, but the wider community reads the statements and leaps over the nuances to make their ideas of what was said by the producers.

This is a good blog article that examines the statements that would become "promises" to many in the fan community.

It's probably good to point out that in the early seasons of Lost when the viewership was much larger, you had a lot of people watching who were not sci-fi/comic book geeks, and for them the show was a kind of action soap opera with a bit of mystery. They didn't want it to get too out there into fantasy elements, and neither did the studio, who wanted to keep as many viewers as possible. The producers had to stealth a lot of this stuff in, even under the executives noses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
Two timelines? Back to life? WOW!!!!! I'm soooo glad I jump off the Lost bandwagon on mid season 1.

Heh... see, these were the viewers they were trying to trick into continue watching the show. Some figured out that it was hard core geek domain and ran.

What's wonderful though is that they tricked enough and so the momentum was established and the writing and storytelling remained strong. Thankfully the producers were able to negotiate that the story was going to come to an end and so we're going to get a strong finish, rather than, say... the X-Files which was beaten into horse paste before it finally ended.

Lost has its imperfections, but we're going to get what TV shows ought to be, which is a complete narrative that runs for hundreds of episodes over several years and then comes to a fitting end. They ought to be superduper long movies and Lost, more or less, will be able to do that.

This has been the "Geek Triumphant" decade where fantastic and speculative material reigned. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Battlestar Galactica, Lost... heck it ended with Avatar, the commercial capstone of entertainment.

That's why I think Lost is the MVP of the decade for geeky entertainment. Lucas failed us with the prequels. The Matrix sequels failed us. Lord of the Rings was good, but its pure fantasy can't sustain over the long haul with the mundane viewers. Battlestar Galactica unfortunately imploded, taking the opposite approach of Lost and literally "making it up as we go along." Avatar knocked the ball out of the park at the very end of the decade, but it's really a series for the coming years.

But Lost went the distance, spending six years giving us solid storytelling and eroding the mundane's trepidation to fantasy and sci-fi. Now Cameron can take Avatar, and with his gigantic pile of "eff you" money, hopefully give us two more movies that will provide a lot more depth and satisfying narrative of the hero's journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:

Battlestar Galactica unfortunately imploded, taking the opposite approach of Lost and literally "making it up as we go along."

While I may agree with you on this for the last couple of seasons, the second and third really seemed to have that "well, let's see where this goes" feel to it. That, coupled with multi-week breaks, certainly led a lot of people to think that they were stringing it together as they went.

I know they had their "split-season" thing in the third season, but there were other times where a two or three week break would just pop up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonato926 wrote:
echoota wrote:

Battlestar Galactica unfortunately imploded, taking the opposite approach of Lost and literally "making it up as we go along."

While I may agree with you on this for the last couple of seasons, the second and third really seemed to have that "well, let's see where this goes" feel to it. That, coupled with multi-week breaks, certainly led a lot of people to think that they were stringing it together as they went.

I know they had their "split-season" thing in the third season, but there were other times where a two or three week break would just pop up.

True. The very nature of TV is that it has to be made up as you go along, even the producers admitted to that. However they seeded the show, particularly the first season, with enough details and trap doors that when they finally could advocate for an ending they had a good framework to go off of. So overall they gambled and it paid off... well, I guess we have to see how this season turns out before really saying that.

They've commented that ideally what you do with a show like Lost is to have the beginning and ending well thought out and then what you do with the middle depends on the economics of show. The problem is when the studio takes over and drags it out, like X-Files, or writers lose focus and the show gets cut short, like Battlestar Galactica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
So was the long haired Japanese dude, the guy from the D.I. videos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:

No, he's new. We as yet don't know the fate of Dr. Chang.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
Thankfully the producers were able to negotiate that the story was going to come to an end and so we're going to get a strong finish, rather than, say... the X-Files which was beaten into horse paste before it finally ended.

No need to rub it in. That final episode is still nightmare fuel. I'm glad I stopped watching during season 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Also looking for a loop hole to get back home...

Anyone else feel that connection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:

I kept thinking Genghis Khan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
rdonato926 wrote:

Ooh, yea, "Sayid" v. "Locke" hadn't thought of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
MWChapel wrote:
vandemonium wrote:

Nah, he was the dude that kept beating the shit out of Tom Cruise with a stick in Last Samurai.

I think we have Schroedinger's LOST now with the two separate timelines. However, instead of them converging, I think one will be destroyed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Likewise possible that Jacob is animating Sayid. I don't follow the "that could be why" part.

I figured that once Jacob took a long look at Sayid when his was dying next to the bus. It makes since, as he left a note that says if Sayid doesn't survive they would be sorry. Not because Jacob would exact a penalty, but that "evil Locke" would. As Jacob in corporeal form can keep him at bay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
vandemonium wrote:

Nah, he was the dude that kept beating the shit out of Tom Cruise with a stick in Last Samurai.

I think we have Schroedinger's LOST now with the two separate timelines. However, instead of them converging, I think one will be destroyed!

Yeah, I guess he was Japanese. Speaking of which. Were you able to translate everything he was saying?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.