Popular Tags: [View All]
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of my friends say they've never been beaten if they use the "go only along the edge" strategy. Is this possible, or can they be foiled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Dingus wrote:
Two of my friends say they've never been beaten if they use the "go only along the edge" strategy. Is this possible, or can they be foiled?

Obvious question: have these two friends ever played against each other using this strategy? If so: Who won, and which of them is fibbing about never having been beaten?

I'm no expert, but most simple "strategies" like this fall down when either of two things happen: either you don't draw the right tiles, or another player places tiles where you'd like to go. Uptown has always struck me as a game where you sometimes need to suffer a (hopefully) short-term setback to your own position in order to disrupt another player's plans. If your friends have been winning with a fixed strategy, their opponents have probably been a little passive.

I have seen someone try playing along the edge, and for a while it looked wonderful - but then everything fell apart, and I think he ended up in last place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played one "edger" yesterday in a four-player game, and she won on the captured pieces tie-breaks (we both had only one area at the end). I tried to block her but she just picked my pieces off, as the edge pieces weren't separating my spread into two islands. It seems like you would have to move into the edge, lay three down, and go out by the third tile, to make a large enough area that they couldn't just pick you off. The other "edger" won easily in a five-player game last week. I will have to pit them against each other posthaste.

What gets me is not only that they win, but they don't even enjoy it. "It's not very creative or fun but it works," said yesterday's opponent. Very much like the "money" strategy in Dominion. Boring but dependably effective. To me (of course) fun is much more interesting. I usually play from wherever but near the center in Uptown and enjoy the excitement of hoping the right piece comes up and responding to interlopers. We finally looked up the designer's strategy tips, and had already discovered his four ways (center, edge, two-group, and vicious). (The latter was super fun, though I got some shocked looks at how mean it was.)

Anyway, I'll check back if I learn more, or to learn more from someone that's found a solution for these pesky edgers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I hadn't seen the designer's strategy tips - thanks for mentioning them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently added them to the Web Links section.

Have you tried the two variants, too? Richard Breese describes them in his "Happy 10th Birthday BGG" geeklist here (learned when we played it at BGG.con):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/50778/happy-10th-birth....

(Uptown is item #18)

I always use the first one, now (setting aside the dollar sign tile).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I had seen this geeklist, and the variants, but haven't managed to play the game since. Coincidentally, it was Richard who introduced me to Uptown at a convention about a year ago.

As you suggest - the first sounds simple to introduce and reduces the luck of the draw.

The second sounds very interesting - it turns the game on its head completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any update on this edge strategy? Did it turn out to be an unstoppable strategy that you must follow if you want the best chance of winning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Arctic Jack wrote:
Any update on this edge strategy? Did it turn out to be an unstoppable strategy that you must follow if you want the best chance of winning?

FWIW I don't think it's unstoppable or something which you must follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.