Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
Something came up the other night while playing and I'd like to know what the official ruling is. Let's say that I play a '2' card and move one block from Carrick to Lanark. Can that first block then move with a group of blocks that was already in Lanark to attack Mentieth as one whole group? i.e. I don't want the single block or the second group of blocks to be used as reinforcements.

I guess the real question is, can blocks that did not start a turn as a group, attack as a group as long as they cross the same border to attack?

Thanks!

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanMark wrote:
I guess the real question is, can blocks that did not start a turn as a group, attack as a group as long as they cross the same border to attack?

No. 5.32 in the version 3.0 rules says "the Main Attack Group must be declared during movement; it must start in ONE area, move together, and enter the combat area across ONE border." If another unit starts in another area, it's not part of the main attack group (and will therefore be revealed during the second round as reserves), even if it attacks across the same border.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty, are you sure?

I read that as allowing what he wants to do: move a block with one of his actions and moving the group with the other action. When he uses the second action, all the blocks do start together and move together to attack.

The above was my initial reaction. However, 4.0 makes it clear that blocks cannot move more than once in a turn. So that rule would prohibit what he wants to do.

Been awhile since I played HotS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:

The above was my initial reaction. However, 4.0 makes it clear that blocks cannot move more than once in a turn. So that rule would prohibit what he wants to do.

Been awhile since I played HotS!

I agree that a block can't move more than once, but I guess I was thinking of movement as simultaneous. What I mean is, the first block is moving from Carrick, through Lanark on the way to Mentieth and the other blocks that were already in Lanark join him en-route so that everyone arrives in Mentieth as one big happy war party.

I think that, based on the interpretation of the rules that this is not allowed, since it seems that each group's movement is resolved separately and independent of one another.

I don't have my ruleset in front of me, but I have the second edition of the game, and the person I was playing with had the 3rd edition rules, which made for some interesting, though mostly trivial rules discussions during the game.

Anyways, thanks for your help and quick replies!

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.