Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CLARENCE TAN
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Hello,

for those that have Lupus in Tabula, werewolf ultimate, and werewolves of miller hollow+expansion, I just wanted to ask:
1- Since all three are very similar, apart from the price (and I'm considering Miller's hollow + expansion as one game), which is the better game?
2- Which game has a better ruleset/scenario stuff?
3- moderator apart, which game has the best experience for players who are eliminated early?

I'm intrigued that W.Ultimate can be played with 5 people, whereas the others have a minimum of 8. I may have trouble getting together a large group, but if the less-than-8 play sucks, then it's not much of a selling point. I'm also worried that some of the extra roles in the games may be just superfluous.

thanks in advance for your input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjorn Hermans
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games are pretty similar, but the rule book of Ultimate WW seems to be the best by far. Also the system of Ult. WW. where each roles get a sort of positive or negative score makes it much easier to construct a good role set.

I suspect that the 5 people version is one where players get multiple lives. This is a very interesting variant, but I find it quite a different experience from the regular game.
If you want to play something werewolf-like with such a small group, play "The Resistance" (which is very cool, and plays well with a smaller group). Or play games which are quite alike Werewolf, such as "Saboteur" or "Kutschenfahrt Zur Teufelsburg".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed James
United Kingdom
Huntingdon
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Lupus In Tabula and Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition. Both are superb.

Ultimate Werewolf is by far the better purchase. Many more cards, characters, and ready to play scenarios. The best feature of Ultimate Werewolf are the scores applied to each character that affords quick and easy balancing of a game for any number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xaviar_nl wrote:
I suspect that the 5 people version is one where players get multiple lives.

Can't remember for sure, but I suspect it's closer to the five-player we play on the forums - werewolf, seer, sorcerer, hunter, villager.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I'm fond of Lupus for two reasons: you do not reveal whether the villagers lynched a werewolf or not (unless the Medium discloses this); and its rather more structured nominate-and-vote mechanism, which helps mitigate the chaos of larger groups. AFAIK, Ultimate does not support either; otherwise I would prefer it for better presentation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Immer
Germany
Saterland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb

werewolves of miller hollow+expansion vs. werewolf ultimate, the ultimate is the best choice for me. So damm much option in one game its amazing. While the werewolves of miller hollow, is the easy way for 20 people, if you have bigger groups you need the ultimate version.

Just my cents. (I played both very often)

Ingo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ostadan wrote:
I'm fond of Lupus for two reasons: you do not reveal whether the villagers lynched a werewolf or not (unless the Medium discloses this); and its rather more structured nominate-and-vote mechanism, which helps mitigate the chaos of larger groups. AFAIK, Ultimate does not support either; otherwise I would prefer it for better presentation.

Surely you could use your preferred set of lynch rules with any set of cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Wallace
United States
California
flag msg tools
So I haven't seen the Lupis deck. Since you should be able to play the game with any rules you choose, what else does it have going for it over the Ultimate?

One thing nice about the Werewolf game in general is that you could allocate roles with scraps of paper if you needed to, (or use a normal deck of cards). But it is better to hand out something nice, espcially for new persons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:
Ostadan wrote:

Surely you could use your preferred set of lynch rules with any set of cards?

I had the same thought - if you really prefer the Lupus in Tabula method of handling voting and keeping lynched player roles secret, then play that way using Ultimate Werewolf cards, given that UW has more characters and the better rulebook.

I learned Werewolf using the rule-set from my copy of Lupus in Tabula, not realizing that its method of handling voting and keeping lynched players secret wasn't the most common practice. I found that its nomination mechanism - while structured - to be quite tedious and fiddly, especially when you're constantly distributing/counting/collecting cards to nominate/vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.