BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Wallenstein Toppled rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boardgamegal
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
So the four of us get together say once or twice a week and play a board game. You could say our names are Jerry, Kramer, Elaine and George. I am the only female I know who plays games and actually enjoys them. I am in fact the only girl I know who wants to play the games and actually defeat everyone else. I am always the yellow player and last night Jerry wanted to play Wallenstein. (This meant that I was Wallenstein because Wallenstein is yellow and if you read the title this also means that I didn't win).
When Jerry said "Wallenstein" I groaned because I am the type of gal who likes to put on shoes and get out on the road by 5 am and Wallenstein is not exactly a quick game. Especially when the two slowest players in the history of board gaming are in the mix. It took 3 and 1/2 hours. How can 6 little rounds take 3 and 1/2 hours? Okay, there were some highlights like the one at the end of year one (after 3 rounds, when the first scoring takes place) when Wallenstein was the only leader who could actually feed his people. But justice was not done and there was very little damage to either the King of Sweden or von Tilly who had not inconsiderable food deficiencies of 6 and 5. In year two, Von Tilly preached peace but practised war and treachery. However, his plans came afoot when protection from Rome appeared. Pappenheim secured key regions and came through the 30 years unscathed and on top.
Wallenstein is an area control game. Little is gained from indiscriminate attacking. Pick your targets when they actually have a building or two. Don't let one player occupy a whole corner. It is too easy for them then to fortify the outer areas to protect many regions behind. They can then leave those protected regions very sparsely occupied without fear of attack and build on them at leisure. Once this happens their position gets too strong to damage.
The last time we played Wallenstein was at least a couple of years ago. I think it is a game that if you are going to play it, you may as well book yourself in for another dose the next week while it is still fresh in your mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RebekahH wrote:
I am the type of gal who likes to put on shoes and get out on the road by 5 am and Wallenstein is not exactly a quick game. Especially when the two slowest players in the history of board gaming are in the mix. It took 3 and 1/2 hours. How can 6 little rounds take 3 and 1/2 hours?

You have my sympathies. We have two guys in our game group, lets call them "Pat" and "Phil" They're twin brothers, and are the Poster Children for the A/P "Push for the Cure" Telethon and Bake Sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Babak Hadi
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The only reason it took 3.5 hr is because "Elaine" and "George" talk lots about nothing instead on concentrating on the game!
Jerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Babak Hadi
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do the twins live in denial too? See BioBa's response! Chatting to George is preferable to pulling out hair whilst suffering the endless wait.:)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.