Subject: Warrior Knights or Game of Thrones rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Grandy
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to decide between either Warrior Knights or Game of Thrones. I've read a few reviews and both offer what I'm looking for (area control, battles, back-stabbing...ah, I mean diplomacy etc.).

Any comments, suggestions as to which would be a better buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
Game of Thrones is superior.

That's not to say you should never grab up Warrior Knights (plus the xpac!) though.

The ruleset is clearer from the get-go as well. Also look into the Port rules from GoT's first expansion for a fix that keeps certain houses from getting crushed early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Heretics
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you've got 6 players?

Both games really require their respective expansions to really make them tick. Out of both games my gaming group finds that AGoT sees a lot more play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernesto Cabrera
Mexico
Mexico
D.F.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Twilight Imperium instead...

No seriously. I think Warrior Knights is more "complete", it has it all and it feels somewhat epic and it has more theme. Game of thrones is simpler and more "elegant", but the negotiations are a more involving.

I've only played once each but there's a clear difference of gameplay in both and they're somewhat similar... If I had to choose I would say Warrior Knights it's a better "stand alone" game. BUT if you've read the Song of Ice and Fire books, then Game of Thrones...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grandy
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:
Also look into the Port rules from GoT's first expansion for a fix that keeps certain houses from getting crushed early on.

Is the expansion required to implement the rules? Of can said rules be applied to the base game sans the expansion?

lindelos wrote:

My gaming group generally consists of 3-5 players. As time progresses, more and more want in on "game night".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
neoOberon wrote:
Neverfade wrote:
Also look into the Port rules from GoT's first expansion for a fix that keeps certain houses from getting crushed early on.

Is the expansion required to implement the rules? Of can said rules be applied to the base game sans the expansion?

lindelos wrote:

My gaming group generally consists of 3-5 players. As time progresses, more and more want in on "game night".

You'll be fine. You could use any sort of disc-type object to represent the ports, they're just cardboard circles.

Also the base game only suits up to 5. Clash of Kings expansion has the 6th players items. Note that I wouldn't play GoT with just 3, and while not the best, I find it enjoyable with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lestat2099 wrote:
Get Twilight Imperium instead...

No seriously. I think Warrior Knights is more "complete", it has it all and it feels somewhat epic and it has more theme. Game of thrones is simpler and more "elegant", but the negotiations are a more involving.

I've only played once each but there's a clear difference of gameplay in both and they're somewhat similar... If I had to choose I would say Warrior Knights it's a better "stand alone" game. BUT if you've read the Song of Ice and Fire books, then Game of Thrones...

I'd be turned off by the scify theme...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly I can't comment on AGoT but I've played WK a fair bit and I really enjoy the game. I should note that it really needs the expansion to shine though. Without it the game feels like it ends too quickly; just as everyone is ready to start laying into each other it stops. The expansion fixes that and adds a bunch of other nice extras, and it's a small expansion so not overly expensive either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fulwiler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both extensively and prefer A Game of Thrones. While Warrior Knights is a lot of fun, there's just not as much to do. Once you get a couple of cities, your best bet is just to turtle up and simply try to block your closest rival from getting new cities. I enjoy the mechanics of Warrior Knights but I'm not a fan of the limited influence pool and the limited ways they are acquired. The expansion does make the game better, but still doesn't do quite enough, IMO. Again, this is in comparison to A Game of Thrones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valtteri Pirttilä
Finland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for A Game of Thrones too. It's a great game even if you haven't read the books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both and I'd also go with A Game of Thrones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grandy
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all that offered advice...much appreciated. Looks like AGoT will be my next buy...but WK is def a buy down the road.

Thx again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both games.

Game of Thrones is much better game. I feel Warrior Knights has good elements and I enjoyed my play, but I can not stand the randomness of the order of play in Warrior Knights. You can not plan on anything, because your order card didn't come up or it comes up to late...

Game of Thrones all the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grandy
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More input requested please...

Of the expansions for AGoT, what one adds the most?

Does the Storm of Swords scale down well for 3-4 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
neoOberon wrote:
More input requested please...

Of the expansions for AGoT, what one adds the most?

Does the Storm of Swords scale down well for 3-4 players?

If you're ever going to play with 6, then Clash of Kings is a must (ports included in this one).

Storm of Swords includes an entirely separate board that is made specifically for 3-4 players and no more.

I suppose the decision lies on which direction your number of players tends to drift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fulwiler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The core game supports 5 players max and plays best with 5. The Clash of Kings expansion provides a board overlay to support a 6th player. It adds numerous new options and fixes some balance issues and plays well with 5 or 6. The Storm of Swords expansion actually includes a completely new board and maxes out and plays best with 4 players. It has components that can be added to the base game and can incorporate some components from Clash of Kings as well. The Storm of Swords expansion is my favorite way to play. Due to the fact that it maxes out at 4, there's less down time, plus there's more for you to do on your turn. If I could only play one version from here on out, it would be the Storm of Swords version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.