Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Fahrion
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hags (5)
Hags are fond of kidnapping the unwary and forcing them to do their bidding. Kidnapped victims are often eaten after the Hags no longer have any use for them.

When a Hag conquers an In Decline Region, they kidnap one In Decline race token. This kidnapped token is no longer controlled by the player who once owned it (i.e., does not collect VP, etc.) and acts as an extra defense token for the Hags in that region.

If a Hag region with a kidnapped token is conquered by another player, then the kidnapped token is returned to the box instead of a Hag race token. If the Hags abandon the region, the kidnapped token is lost.

Once the Hags go into decline, they gain +1 victory coin per kidnapped In Decline race token and the kidnapped tokens are removed from the board.

FAQ
The In Decline token still counts for the Historian's special power. A kidnapped token protects against the Sorcerer's power. Goblins do not get a bonus when trying to conquer a Hag region with a kidnapped In Decline token as the region itself is considered active. Kidnapped In Decline Ghouls can no longer be used to attack.

Updated with rules clarifications
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting, worth checking out.

I only wonder if the final 1VC per kidnappee is a little too much, both in game design elegance and in play balance. If it turns out to be so, either that part can be dropped, or the token count for the power can be lowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Du Rietz
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I very much like this idea, and I don't think it should require *fixing*

5 hags = one of the better races such as amazones and trolls etc.
4 hags = one of the lesser races such as dwarves.

So both choices are viable.

Good job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather give the Hags some 'prisoner' tokens than have to remember if a given location's 'in decline' markers are there as prisoners or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
I'd rather give the Hags some 'prisoner' tokens than have to remember if a given location's 'in decline' markers are there as prisoners or not.

If I understand correctly, the prisoners are only on the board if they are in the same region as the Hag tokens that captured them, so there should be no danger of confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Fahrion
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Barliman wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

If I understand correctly, the prisoners are only on the board if they are in the same region as the Hag tokens that captured them, so there should be no danger of confusion.

yep you are correct. The kidnapped tokens are removed from play as soon as the Hags leave the region either by abandoning the region or if pushe out by being conquered by another player. As such I don't see any confusion happening really.

As to the overpowered angle due to the ending VP bonus, I am curious about that too. Both options (getting rid of the end bonus or dropping them to 4 tokens) for reducing their power are options. It'll come out come through play testing. Bit busy for the next week but I hope to play test this soon. Let me know if anyone else tests the Hags.

If they turn out to be a fun race, I'll kick out game pieces for them. Actually I might kick out game pieces anyway since I like the idea of a Hag race and the mechanics can be tweaked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You should make it clear that the owner of the kidnapped token no longer recieves VP for it's being on the board?

Does the presence a kidnapped token protect the Hags from the Sorcerer power?

Does the power/race that gets VPs for taking regions with in decline tokens still get thier VPs?

If all the in decline tokens on the board are kidnapped tokens does the Historian power get any points?

Also note that "White Ladies" are immune to the Hags power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Fahrion
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
You should make it clear that the owner of the kidnapped token no longer recieves VP for it's being on the board?

Does the presence a kidnapped token protect the Hags from the Sorcerer power?

Does the power/race that gets VPs for taking regions with in decline tokens still get thier VPs?

If all the in decline tokens on the board are kidnapped tokens does the Historian power get any points?

Also note that "White Ladies" are immune to the Hags power.

Updated the rules above with clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great questions, Mark!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.