4 Posts

John Prados' Third Reich» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fleet trains rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Lapinou
France
flag msg tools
I am currently playing GPW, and I cannot find it in the rules : can you move fleet trains in naval impulses, and if yes, what is their range ?
Or do you have to SR them like GAR ?
This is primordial, beacause if you can move them (I am aware this would cancel the movement bonus they provide to other units in the port), that means you can invade an island in a first naval impulse, and them move your fleet train to the new beachhead in a second naval impulse (as you have to move prior to any amphibious assault), thus making the fleet train available right for the next turn to assaulting the next island one sea zone further. So basically you win one turn.
But can you ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McCoy
South Korea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Robin:

I ran into the same problem myself. I believe you can move them like a SURF, I have seen a couple of old quotes on consimworld, and there is a player aide sheet on this web site. Neither of these are official however.

Try to contact Jeff Adams about this one.

On another note Fleet Trains are very vulnerable to raiding, and I wonder if they are worth the money. Perhaps, the Great Pacific War should be renamed, "The Carrier Always Gets Through."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say you must be able to move Fleet Trains as described, in order to recreate the speed of the American offensive across the Central Pacific during 1944-45. Given 3-month turns, Guam, Saipan, Palau and the Philippines have to occur in pretty quick sequence, gamewise.

And the point about their vulnerabilty to raiding seems spot on. So long as the other side has a large carrier force, the Fleet Trains should be next to impossible to move up with each invasion. This makes it necessary to defeat the other side's carrier forces, before conducting major seaborne offensives across long distances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lapinou
France
flag msg tools
Thanks.

Exactly Fleet trains are really vulnerable. and defeating the ennemy CVs force should be the first objective in that game.
Still, you can use fleet trains in easily defendable bases like Hawaï or Yokohama, to extend Lc's range and conduct operations from here, but I think you should always protect them with solid TAC forces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.