Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone ever tried playing this with a "wrap-around" gameboard?

What I mean is that if your fleet is in a sector on the edge of the galaxy, the opposite hex on the other end of the galaxy is also considered adjacent to you.

Just wondering as we thought of doing this for a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem I see with this is that then home systems on opposite ends of the board would be adjacent too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Maybe home systems should be moved one ring closer to Macatol then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
Dublin 14
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not tried it, but it stikes me as adding more complexity than game play benefit to the game. It seems non-intuitive to me, lacking a visual clue for the palyers, the thing furthest from you is also closest.

A player already has many, many things to keep track of in this game so I can see how this might lead to a sucker punch resolving the game as a player misses something on the other side of the board. I think you might be giving an unfair advantage to the player with better spatial skills able to hold an effective 3D model in their head and risking more AP for each player as they try and cover all the bases.

The game comes with such a mechanism, the wormholes, with the expansion adding the wormhole nexus and if my memory serves me right aren't there wormhole tokens from the distant suns optional tokens.

So I would suggest an alternative,just add some extra wormholes to the game if you are looking for extra interaction. These would at least be face up on the board at both ends to remind players of where to look for opportunity/danger.

I can see why you might want to lossen things up to prevent the "Creeping Turtle" style that dominated some of our games.

Let us know how you get on if you try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Norton
United States
Seymour
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are alot of wrap around boards and such on ti3wiki.org

While I personally don't like any of them, I seem to be in the minority on this issue.

You may have to hunt around or just make a post in the forums.

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing around with wrap around maps for a while after I was introduced to them by another TI3 player - Lance.

Here are 2 examples of wrap around maps that have all players within 2 hexes of each other rather than just the normal 2 neighbors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to discuss this with...
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb

before you go too far with this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weilong Seow
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't the wrap-around concept work fine for the 4-ring setup for 6 players? It would result in 2 tiles between each home system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.