Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: getting ready for that first game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got TtA recently, read the rules (a couple of times) and think I 'm ready to play the game

Me and my friends are planning on playing the Advanced game (maybe do some rounds of the Simple game first, just to get the hang of it) and I've asked them to read EndersGame's amazing pictorial overview.

We're all gamers and don't mind to invest some time, but I'm wondering if we will be able to finish a 4p Advanced game in 6 hours or less.. What's your experience when playing for the first time?

If there are rules that are easily forgotten and which I'd better remember, please share

regards,
Koen
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, we also went straight for the complete game (but without military conflicts for any other purpose than colonizing - so we could concentrate on building without fear).

Don't know what the player aid looks like in the new editions, but if is based upon the original, it should give you all the information you need.

Don't recall any real problems.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game was in Advanced mode and there was no problem. 2 players (including me) played for the first time and third one played maybe third time. We miss some rules e.g. remove 2 yellow tokens from the bank at the end of each turn, but generally everything gone smooth. We have played circa 4 hours. At first we have some problems with political actions but like I said we've managed to have lots of fun and thinking.

Good luck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rick nichols
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Remove 2 population from the population bank at the end of Age I, II, and III - we forgot that the first couple of games

2. When future events become current events, they must be ordered by age with the earlier age first - this one we learned recently

3. When bidding on colonies, you don't use military strength. It's strictly the strength of each military unit, colonization bonuses, and your tactics card if you bid an entire army. Ex: You have one warrior, one knight which makes up a Medieval army, and you have the MA tactics card. You can bid 5 as long as you give up the warrior and the knight (you can keep the tactics card).

4. Building new military units bonuses count for upgrades as well.

And get to the full game ASAP - that's where the real deal is.

Have fun!


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with 4 players who have never played before, I think 6 hours should be enough for an "Advanced" Game.

I think the easiest thing to forget when you're fairly new still is Consumption when producing food. If someone misses that a few times, he can give himself an unfair advantage pretty easily. Also as a few people ahve said, losing 2 yellow beads at the end of Age I, II, and III is pretty easy to forget.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Use this player aid: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/37953/player-aid-for-t... It really captures all the places where you'd be tempted to pick up the rules.

Six hours for four newbies is do-able.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:
Even with 4 players who have never played before, I think 6 hours should be enough for an "Advanced" Game.

I think the easiest thing to forget when you're fairly new still is Consumption when producing food. If someone misses that a few times, he can give himself an unfair advantage pretty easily. Also as a few people ahve said, losing 2 yellow beads at the end of Age I, II, and III is pretty easy to forget.


The first time we played the full game with 4 players took almost 8 hours but, only one of us had read the rules (and not any posts or FAQ's). You've apparently done a lot of prep and should be able to crack this more quickly.

Enjoy!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Bernier III

Boston
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmb
For your first few games, I highly recommend going through the production phase in the exact order in the rulebook (the player mats also list the steps as well). You'd be surprised how often I've had friends forget to produce on their farms or wonder if they moved their total science indicator. At first, it may slow the game down a little, but once it starts to become autmoatic, the game will seem to progress quicker. They'll be plenty of time on other people's turns to think about strategy.

And most of all, have fun!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
The first time we played the full game with 4 players took almost 8 hours but, only one of us had read the rules (and not any posts or FAQ's). You've apparently done a lot of prep and should be able to crack this more quickly.


Also, they aren't playing the full game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
The first time we played the full game with 4 players took almost 8 hours but, only one of us had read the rules (and not any posts or FAQ's). You've apparently done a lot of prep and should be able to crack this more quickly.


Also, they aren't playing the full game.


no but maybe we should!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobi wrote:
Fortuna wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
The first time we played the full game with 4 players took almost 8 hours but, only one of us had read the rules (and not any posts or FAQ's). You've apparently done a lot of prep and should be able to crack this more quickly.


Also, they aren't playing the full game.


no but maybe we should!


I'm all for skipping the Advanced Game, which is fundamentally broken in several ways, and cutting right to the chase. But if none of the four of you have played before, there's no way a full game will come close to staying inside your 6 hour limit. Eight hours would be doing well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt DeHayes
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We found a couple of ideas useful when starting the first few games:

1. Have only one person handle the main board. This person is responsible for the card row, moving people’s cubes and is sort of the referee by stating what needs to happen next.

2. Have each player state what they’re spending their actions on each time they spend an action. Then watch them to make sure that they’re following the correct procedure to do their intended action.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Palladinus wrote:
We miss some rules e.g. remove 2 yellow tokens from the bank at the end of each turn, but generally everything gone smooth.


You only have to do that in the Full game, so you played correctly
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:
I'm all for skipping the Advanced Game, which is fundamentally broken in several ways, and cutting right to the chase. But if none of the four of you have played before, there's no way a full game will come close to staying inside your 6 hour limit. Eight hours would be doing well.


We'll start with the Advanced then, and play the Full in the near future
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobi wrote:
Palladinus wrote:
We miss some rules e.g. remove 2 yellow tokens from the bank at the end of each turn, but generally everything gone smooth.


You only have to do that in the Full game, so you played correctly


Oh, we've played for the first time in Advanced game and next in Full and we thought we miss this rule then, but you're right, we play as we should.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Bezzant
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
"Everyone wants to be unique, but no one wants to be different."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in the advanced game you don't get rid of two yellow tokens?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dbezzant wrote:
So, in the advanced game you don't get rid of two yellow tokens?


correct (it's also mentioned on the reference cards)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found this thread which also discusses the length of the game.

We have our game planned for next week, I'll let you know how long it took
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
we played last night, it took us 4h30 for the Advanced Game (not including the rules and two rounds of the simple game)

I had a great time, hope to play again soon!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.