Subject: Battle for the Underdark- Worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandros Chapin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, so I've really been thinking about this set for a while. First off, I'm new here to Boardgamegeek, so this is my first post. That aside, I play Heroscape as often as I can, and snap up all the boosters at my local wal-mart. However, it's not at our wal-mart yet, so I considered buying it online. However, as any 'scaper knows, the boxes for the master set are pretty big- no cheap shipping for us. I'm also very impatient. I'm considering ordering it online. But I'm not sure if it's even worth it to get it right away or if I should just wait until wal-mart has it.. Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wal-Marts are stocking the new D&D Master Set, though it isn't known yet if every single one will or not.

It is very much worth it if you enjoy HeroScape as much as it sounds like you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it at Mt Airy, MD wal-marts, so it might be worth it for the OP to drive down to MD to get a set, instead of ordering online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, W-M is spotty on which stores carry new HS stock. If you have a local gaming store, they should be able to order it for you. It'll most likely be full retail, which is only a couple of dollars more than W-M's price.

Welcome to the Geek, BTW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Heac0ck
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the box at a F(not so)LGS and picked it up expecting to make the purchase. After looking at the back of the box I put it down and went on to make another choice for my money. The figures looked too small in relation to the hexes and I just couldnt get excited about more elves (even Drow). I believe that if they were going to do HS D&D they should have went more in the direction of using the licenced creatures instead of humanoids. They just look out of scale. Going more creature-centric would have made the scale difference less evident and given them an opportunity to release (IMHO) more dynamic squads/heroes.

Sorry Heroscape, maybe next time......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It sounds like you already own a lot of Heroscape expansions. I do as well, and I personally found nothing in the new master set worth the full retail price (plus shipping in your case?). No new terrain I didn't already have, and only a few new figures.

Personally, I wished I had waited until I could find it for much cheaper than I actually paid for it. If you're on the fence, I would suggest waiting until you can find it for a more reasonable price. Weigh in the opinion of some other posters if you're still unsure though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very happy with my purchase of the set.
* There are 8 new units. They work great together in the campaign and a few has synergies with existing Scape units. Their powers are very well designed.
* The campaign is great fun. It works far better than the one in "Swarm of the Marro". This time it feels like a real campaign! I have played it about 8 times by now, without getting tired of it.
* The rock outcrops are repainted glaciers, but they look far better IMHO. I have always had problems making the glaciers look good on a map without ice - not so any more
* The shadow tiles only affect units with powers related to those tiles. So we'll have to see how the next 2 waves are done, before knowing how useful they'll be outside the Master Set.
* The dungeon tiles are cool looking, but has no special rules. They are however my favorite tiles to date.
* Treasure Glyphs are a new type of Glyph that gives more importance to heroes. The next couple of waves will be including even more new Treasure Glyphs.
* If you already got the Flagbearers, the new purple order markers should also be a welcome addition.

Some people have complained about scaling issues. In my opinion only two of the Drows are problematic in that regard. Had we not known these miniatures are repaints of the D&D line, I doubt anyone would have found other scaling issues. But that is just my opinion. When we have played with some of the new miniatures mixed in with the older ones, no one has had any issues, apart from those two Drows.

The only other negative I can find, is the paint job on the Drow. I would have liked a more dynamic painting scheme.

But if you already play a lot of Heroscape, the new Master Set is definately worth it. It is fully compatible with the older sets, but also has the added bonus of giving you a different playing experience when played as a stand-alone set. I would personally choose this one over "Swarm of the Marro", if I were forced to choose between Master Sets, after "Rise of the Valkyrie".

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it's worth it.

You can download extra scenarios here:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndac...

and here:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?s=107bedcc48e8...

And purchase the game here:
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/inc/sdetail/696254

for $22.50 + shipping

*** BUT WAIT!!!! ***

some of the scenarios have the adventurers working through 4 rooms in succession so if you purchase 4 sets you can build all 4 rooms together and play straight through without having to take each room down and build the next one to continue.

SO! if you purchase 4 sets you'll get FREE shipping!

I bought 20!

Cheers!

-Fallow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spallit wrote:
No new terrain I didn't already have, and only a few new figures.

That makes no sense, as dungeon tiles, shadow tiles and rock outcrops had had never been released previously, and no rules or powers referencing shadow tiles existed prior to this master set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I guess I should have specified that I don't consider different coloured hex tiles "new" terrain. I was really hoping for something more unique, like Ticalla Jungle, the fortress, or even the bridge and evergreen trees.

The shadow tiles do have some new rules attached to them though, so if that's your thing, I guess you have a point there.

The point I was trying to convey was that, compared to previous master sets and expansions, the production values were not there to make me feel that it was worth the money I spent on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spallit wrote:
I guess I should have specified that I don't consider different coloured hex tiles "new" terrain. I was really hoping for something more unique, like Ticalla Jungle, the fortress, or even the bridge and evergreen trees.

But those are all from expansions, not Master Sets!
MS1 gave us water tiles
MS2 gave us swamp tiles
MS3 gave us shadow tiles
Master Sets are there to teach people how to play the game, while expansions add new terrain features to enhance the game. If you expected more from a Master set, I really don't know what to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Chapin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fallow wrote:
Yes it's worth it.

and here:

for $22.50 + shipping

*** BUT WAIT!!!! ***

some of the scenarios have the adventurers working through 4 rooms in succession so if you purchase 4 sets you can build all 4 rooms together and play straight through without having to take each room down and build the next one to continue.

I bought 20!

Cheers!

-Fallow

Well. hate to burst your bubble, but I earn $20 a week. I'm not 18 (yet) and don't have a job (yet.) I'm simply NOT paying over 400 dollars at once for 20 copies of the same thing. Even $100 requires me to be patient, and I'm bad at that. So, I'm definitely considering not even purchasing this now. I mean, being a fan of heroscape, I may ask for it as a gift, but you guys have proved some valid points, I don't like the idea of D&D in heroscape, and it just seems like a waste of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K
United States
Safford
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spallit wrote:
It sounds like you already own a lot of Heroscape expansions. I do as well, and I personally found nothing in the new master set worth the full retail price (plus shipping in your case?). No new terrain I didn't already have, and only a few new figures.

Personally, I wished I had waited until I could find it for much cheaper than I actually paid for it. If you're on the fence, I would suggest waiting until you can find it for a more reasonable price. Weigh in the opinion of some other posters if you're still unsure though

So you have Shadow Tiles, Dungeon Terrain and Rock outcroppings? Wow.

I know that they are existing pieces in new colors, but couldn't the same be said for Swarm of the Marro, and Volcarran Wasteland? And the Shadow tiles actually do add a new mechanic to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Fallow wrote:
Yes it's worth it.

and here:

for $22.50 + shipping

*** BUT WAIT!!!! ***

I bought 20!

Cheers!

-Fallow

You need to start uploading images into your gallery, I want to see pictures of the maps your building with 20 sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Helljin wrote:

You need to start uploading images into your gallery, I want to see pictures of the maps your building with 20 sets.

I tried going for the 'World's largest Heroscape Map' a few months ago but after getting halfway through building it on a 4' x 17' table I had to pack it up because I could no longer 'borrow' the space I had it set up in.

Soon I'll have my own place and then... bwahahahaha!

I have 38 or so master sets so far(6 Valkyrie,12 marro,20 Dungeon), maybe 12 Roads,12 castles,10 Ticalla, 4 each volcano,tundra,marvel sets.

Still need to get all the units though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fallow wrote:
Yes it's worth it.

I bought 20!

Cheers!

-Fallow

Wow. Buy only a few more and you'll be able to build a life-sized dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DDWarrior wrote:
Well. hate to burst your bubble, but I earn $20 a week. I'm not 18 (yet) and don't have a job (yet.) I'm simply NOT paying over 400 dollars at once for 20 copies of the same thing. Even $100 requires me to be patient, and I'm bad at that. So, I'm definitely considering not even purchasing this now. I mean, being a fan of heroscape, I may ask for it as a gift, but you guys have proved some valid points, I don't like the idea of D&D in heroscape, and it just seems like a waste of time.
-DDWarrior, who is actually Venom_killed_Superman and is waiting for another classic master set.

I can definately understand you are getting turned down by "fanboys" with 20+ Master Sets telling you it is a good purchase. And I can also understand your reservations in spending a whole weeks earnings, to buy a game. I wish you had told more about your situation in your original post.
I can only say that I find the Master Set to be good value for money. I like the new terrain, but most importantly, the new units are great. Their powers are really well though out and work perfectly with both older waves and the base set alone.
I don't understand your dislike against D&D, as there is already a lot of fantasy based units in the game. I'm curious to know what you find is being the difference?
But in the end, if you decide not to buy the game, you should definately add it to your wish list. This is the first release, since Rise of the Valkyrie, I have had fun playing with as both a stand alone game and mixed with older stuff.

Check out the link below, if you want to know as much about the new set as possible:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26500

Oh, and welcome to the site!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DDWarrior wrote:

-DDWarrior, who is actually Venom_killed_Superman and is waiting for another classic master set.

Er... I never suggested you purchase 20 copies. I was just trying to be of some assistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Chapin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fallow wrote:
DDWarrior wrote:

Er... I never suggested you purchase 20 copies. I was just trying to be of some assistance.

Sorry man, didn't mean to be rude. I'll think about buying the game, I guess, but I'll wait until I actually see a hard copy of the game before I purchase- I'd like to have it in my hands WHILE I buy it, not having it sent to me. I'm very finicky, and prefer too walk out of a store with a cool game, rather then exit a web page knowing that a cool game is on the way. If I were more interested in D&DHS, it would be different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're near Burlington NJ you could always swing by my FLGS to try a demo game of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:
I am very happy with my purchase of the set.
* There are 8 new units. They work great together in the campaign and a few has synergies with existing Scape units. Their powers are very well designed.
* The campaign is great fun. It works far better than the one in "Swarm of the Marro". This time it feels like a real campaign! I have played it about 8 times by now, without getting tired of it.
* The rock outcrops are repainted glaciers, but they look far better IMHO. I have always had problems making the glaciers look good on a map without ice - not so any more
* The shadow tiles only affect units with powers related to those tiles. So we'll have to see how the next 2 waves are done, before knowing how useful they'll be outside the Master Set.* The dungeon tiles are cool looking, but has no special rules. They are however my favorite tiles to date.
* Treasure Glyphs are a new type of Glyph that gives more importance to heroes. The next couple of waves will be including even more new Treasure Glyphs.
* If you already got the Flagbearers, the new purple order markers should also be a welcome addition.

Can't believe nobody else caught that error of mine: Standing on a Shadow Tile grant +1 Defence for all small, medium and large units!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
get at least 4 of them, this thing rocks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.