Hide
6 Posts

Pursuit of Glory» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Opening questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
juerg haeberli
msg tools

So far I see no reason to not put the Indian set up forces in the Persian Gulf on the Abadan beachhead. It gives you a lot more options than the Fao beachhead.
You can either play Russo-British assault if your cards really hate you or you can play the alternate opening or you can try some really interesting things like first turn secret treaty or a first turn SR move.
This post is about the first turn SR-move. I found nothing in the rules that stopps me from SRing an RU elite inf, 2 Ru Cav's and Yudenttich HQ to Abadan. If this is actually possible I wonder how the CP will stopp the Russians from either gaining Basra or Fao which would give the allies an excellent chance to keep the Russians in the game until the last turn. ( Warm water port )
Havent tried this in a game yet but surely will the next time I play the allies and nothing in the rules prevents it.
I would be very interested in opening thoughts from all players and would be happy with a lively discussion in this forum.

Best regards.

Jürg Häberli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
It is legal to SR the Russians to Abadan (but it will cost you a VP).

However, note that Warm Water Port has been errata'd to require tracing supply overland through Russian spaces, and the Persian regions are British territory on Turn 1.

See also http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/374779/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the Warm Water Port errata was in fact designed to deal with this specific issue in Southern Mesopotamia. It should now only be possible to get a Persian Gulf Warm Water Port if the Russian reconquer Arabistan from the Central Powers and then go on to take a port in the Ottoman Empire. Even then, the land link has to be intact when the card is played, so the Turks still have the chance to break it somewhere.

I suppose a purist might want to exclude the possibility of the Russians gaining VP spaces in Mesopotamia without an overland link of Russian spaces at all. We managed to prevent the Russians from getting a VP space by taking Athens from a beach-head by a revision to the Living Rules, but the wording doesn't fit Mesopotamia since there is a land link to a Russian Supply source (Central Asia). Anyway, in over 30 games I have never seen the Russsians take Basra or Kut without invading through Arabistan first (and I think only one game with that), so its not a big issue.

edit: However, on rereading your opening that would make a Russian capture of Basra more likely. Let us know how the game goes if you try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
Good...didnt know about the erata.blush
So lets go to the the first turn secret treaty option.
For a long time I thought that would not be a good idea because of the consequences in Mesopotania and Arabistan.
But starting with the Abadan beachhead might change that. Here is the idea.
First turn secret treaty, activate Tabriz, close the gap on the Russian front with one division and use a cav div to go to Hamadan.
Now hope the CP answers with a move to Abadan.
If yes SR 3 RU div (including 1 cav ) and HQ to southern Persia and warmwater port suddenly might become an option.
If not and the Jengali have closed the access to Russia you now have the option to SR Russians to Arabistan and take neutral Persia from the south or just advance from Abadan beachhead.

Comments ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
haeberich wrote:
Good...didnt know about the erata.blush

Can't fault you for that, as it's not in the latest official errata.

haeberich wrote:
So lets go to the the first turn secret treaty option. [...] Now hope the CP answers with a move to Abadan. [...] Comments ?

Plans that rely on hoping the opponent does what you want him to aren't that reliable ...

I certainly wouldn't take Abadan with a depleted TU-A inf as my first impulse. I'm thinking I would SR a couple of TU elite units to Basra, and then go full brunt at the Ardahan gap if faced with a Russian SR to Mesopotamia.

In general, as CP I avoid going for non-neutral Persian VPs until after the revolution has begun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
Re: Opening questions/warm water port
So to make this absolutely clear.
The warm water port card can only be played on a Russian port that was

a) Taken from the CP and
b) at the moment it was taken had a Russian land space connection to Petrovsk and
c) is in the Ottoman emmpire.

If this interpretation is correct ( especially c ) then some of the more strange opening moves
loose some of their punch and we are back to standard opening from Abadan beachhead or alternate opening and maybe first turn secret treaty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.