Subject: Three Metropoli in 5 Player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Nickson
Australia
Erskineville, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Has anyone tried playing with the goal being 3 Metropoli in 5 player? The goal of such a change would be to increase the amount of direct warfare in the game and extend game length a bit.

The reasoning behind this is, looking at the map, it is possible in 5 player for each player to create one metropolis through building, and another through philosophers without having to attack any other player. It is also possible, for at least two players (maybe 3 with one extra ship movement) to also build two metropoli with only having to take one neutral island. Also with no combat. It is therefore possible for no direct conflict to occur in the game. Unlikely but possible. Adding that one extra metropolis greatly increases the likelyhood the winner will have to attack at least one player. It also increases the length of gameplay a bit permitting slightly more complex maneuvres.

I think my gaming group will try it this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Graveleau
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you ever already play ?

The positions are close each other and i never played a game without : expand territoies, block a player, gain horn ... Add more conflicts will have, on my opinion , several problems :

- Cyclades is not a pure wargame, to do this i think there are suitable games
- Each player have only 8 soldiers, no more. The conflit will be difficult and the player will take each other island every time
- for the 2 prévious reason, the game will long duration and can pass from 2 hours to 3 hours easly i think (and perhaps more)

but i'll be curious to know the result of your game with 3 metropolies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enickson wrote:
Has anyone tried playing with the goal being 3 Metropoli in 5 player? The goal of such a change would be to increase the amount of direct warfare in the game and extend game length a bit.

The reasoning behind this is, looking at the map, it is possible in 5 player for each player to create one metropolis through building, and another through philosophers without having to attack any other player. It is also possible, for at least two players (maybe 3 with one extra ship movement) to also build two metropoli with only having to take one neutral island. Also with no combat. It is therefore possible for no direct conflict to occur in the game. Unlikely but possible. Adding that one extra metropolis greatly increases the likelyhood the winner will have to attack at least one player. It also increases the length of gameplay a bit permitting slightly more complex maneuvres.

I think my gaming group will try it this weekend.

So, did you try it out, and if so, how did it play opposed to the standard rules?

My fear is the game could go on for quite a long time, with players attacking and counter-attacking, round after round. What if you change the rules to state you win the game if you hold 2 Metropoli for an entire round? That way you add at least 1 more round to the game, the moment a player makes his/her second Metropolis. This should, in theory, force the other players to be more agressive, without necessarily having to go through a ton of battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Nickson
Australia
Erskineville, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
I forgot to report my findings on this! So sorry... I did play a couple of 5 player games going for 3 metropolises. The result was that it did add more combat to the game, but as both of you feared, at the expense of game length. The game went on way too long. I therefore think the rules should be left as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
One related thought that I had was forming alliances. Forming an alliance would make victory conditions too easy but if you add on Metropolis for each player (e..g 2 player alliance needs 3 metros; a 3 player needs 4) this might just about balance it right.

Basically all the alliances rules have to do is to mandate that the two allies cannot attack each other. And that they can share troops/ships/monsters if they so choose.

If you do go with alliances you there would have to be some sort of enforcement mechanic. Not that the alliance is absolute but you would have to play to break them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.