Popular Tags: [View All]
Christophe Denoize
France
Lille
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

After a rather short but intense reflection, yanndan and i decided to develop an online version for this wonderful game : Antiquity playable by web, turn based.

We received Joris Wiersinga agreement for this project, and are now organizing our thought to start progressively.

For the moment, we are looking for people who would like to take part of this project, and help us to implement Antiquity. Those persons need mainly to be motivated, but also to have some basic knowledge in web development in general (HTML, javascript, ...). The techno need to be defined more precisely, but it won't be something very exotic.

This thread follows this topic : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/432438

If you want to help us, or just to know more about this, or even make a suggestion, do not hesitate to contact me or yanndan.

Thank you,
toooooof

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
any thought to building it on an already developed turn based gaming platform like www.spielbyweb.com ? Could save a lot of time than developing it from scratch unless you are planning to use java on the server side (that thread you gave is Anitquity in Java - Redux)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
have you looked at Ponton's java implementation? When I approached him he was willing to share the code and I played for a few days with the idea of adding network to that project. It overwhelmed me in the end, but if you all are thinking of this project seriously then tapping into Ponton's work should be a LOT easier then developing everything from scratch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
Lille
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, any idea to save time is more than welcome.
Turn based gaming platform can save a lot of developing time, and provide a "production-ready" (feel working when i say that) environment, and that's a good point.
I haven't look yet to Ponton's version. I tried a few time to play with it, but sometimes it's hard to finish a game. Anyway, it can be a good idea to start from this version. Graphic is included, rules are implemented. Just need a strong adaptation to fit the turn based format (whereas Ponton version is hotseat offline version, if i'm not mistaking).
Unfortunately, we cannot combine your two solution (having Ponton's version on spielbyweb!).

We will discuss those points with yanndan, and have a look to Ponton's code (easy to find on google code), and see what could be done.

Our goal is to play antiquity online, not necessarily to do it ourself from scratch (i feel more board game geek than computer geek!), so any idea r help is welcome. Thanks for these ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
bazik123 wrote:
have you looked at Ponton's java implementation? When I approached him he was willing to share the code and I played for a few days with the idea of adding network to that project. It overwhelmed me in the end, but if you all are thinking of this project seriously then tapping into Ponton's work should be a LOT easier then developing everything from scratch.

I guess my code is so complicated that starting all over would be the most efficient way!
However, feel free to use any parts of it you like.

And, please, I'm so interested in the final product's source code to learn something from it. If you're not making your code open source, may I ask you to send it to me, so I can learn from it? Would be extremely nice.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great stuff guys. When will it be ready? What files do I need?

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gugenheim
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be open source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Longdin
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't code but I'd be more than happy to test in some way. (I'm very good at testing the boundaries of things - at least the lower end ones )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
Lille
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure we'll need testers ... but not before a long time, i think :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
Lille
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news : antiquity is now reprinted, and available ! Perfect timing, as i am currently finishing the online implementation. It's in testing phase now, and should be playable by the end of next month.
If one or two guys here are motivated to test this online version, and to correct the ugliest language mistakes (as it's supposed to be in english), i'd be very happy and thankful (send me a private message).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
Lille
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The website address has changed :
http://play.boardgamecore.net

(normally, the former address leads you to the new)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.