Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Holy cow, GMT is charging for 3 P500 games, all of which I pre-ordered: Combat Commander: Battle Pack #3 – Normandy, Serpents of the Seas, and Washington's War!

All on the same day.

Waaay over $100.

My wife is going to kill me when she spots that on the credit card. I have the distinct feeling that I'll be selling a bunch of stuff this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Whyman
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
I need more TIME
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel for you. I have some 'splainin' to do too, but only for Washington's War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually had to cancel my pre-order for Serpent of the Seas for this very reason. I had all three but had to pick the two I most wanted right now. I haven't even made it all the way through the scenarios in Flying Colors yet so it got cut. If Where Eagles Dare starts charging within the next month from MMP I am going to have to sell plasma or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took Brandon's experience as a suggestion and contacted GMT. They were very cool about it of course. Not only that, but they said I could still get the game for the P500 price later when I can afford it. Sweet.

It is just that I hate breaking a commitment like that. Phew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theaney wrote:
I took Brandon's experience as a suggestion and contacted GMT. They were very cool about it of course. Not only that, but they said I could still get the game for the P500 price later when I can afford it. Sweet.

So they aren't trying to kill your marriage. Heartening news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what a wuss!

just kidding. I dread the time when my wife asks me about a charge I made at work on my lunch hour. It always comes out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Warpiglet wrote:
what a wuss!

just kidding. I dread the time when my wife asks me about a charge I made at work on my lunch hour. It always comes out

Just tell her, "At least it's not a charge from a cheap motel!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Korting
Netherlands
Hoorn
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Warpiglet wrote:
what a wuss!

...and before you know it you'll be heading to this very cheap motel...games in the back of the car...

Hans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Warpiglet wrote:
what a wuss!

Straight up! Just after I posted I loaded my cart up on coolstuff to ensure free shipping....my hand is on the trigger. 102 bucks....102 bucks...sweat breaks on brow....how long will I last?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cleal
Australia
Port Kembla
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could tell her aswell, least its not going through the slot machines and ive got something to show for my money at the end of it.

On another note, im just starting to play gmt and jedko war games can anyone suggest some of these games for a beginner. I dont want nothing to heavy and complex just starting out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
pizza the hutt wrote:
You could tell her aswell, least its not going through the slot machines and ive got something to show for my money at the end of it.

On another note, im just starting to play gmt and jedko war games can anyone suggest some of these games for a beginner. I dont want nothing to heavy and complex just starting out.

Commands & Colors: Ancients is a good starter choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I am feeling the same C&C Napoleon when it finally arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cleal
Australia
Port Kembla
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. So far i have Field Marshal which was given to me and I got Waterloo real cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the suggestion of C&C Ancients. Also look at the American Revolution series, of which Monmouth, Guilford Courthouse, and Brandywine are the best IMO) and the Glory Civil War series (I think that is a series).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
pavobueno wrote:
(I think that is a series).

It is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bran mcmillin
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
they are a wargame company after all, they just forgot to keep it on the battlefield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a bunch, dude. After reading this, I just had to pop over to GMT's web site and order Serpents of the Seas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do what I have done: pre-order with your credit card, then contact customer service when notified that the charging is imminent, and let them know you are sending a money order to pay for your order. I did this once and they were very obliging.

Of course, you have to have the cash on hand to do this, which might be another issue...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theaney wrote:

Another sign that GMT may be the nicest company in gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
theaney wrote:

Holy cow, GMT is charging for 3 P500 games, all of which I pre-ordered: Combat Commander: Battle Pack #3 – Normandy, Serpents of the Seas, and Washington's War!

All on the same day.

Waaay over $100.

My wife is going to kill me when she spots that on the credit card. I have the distinct feeling that I'll be selling a bunch of stuff this month.

Ahhhhh.....the joys of being a bachelor
Sorry, do not mean to rub that in....... or do I? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
pavobueno wrote:
I second the suggestion of C&C Ancients. Also look at the American Revolution series, of which Monmouth, Guilford Courthouse, and Brandywine are the best IMO) and the Glory Civil War series (I think that is a series).

I concur. C&C:A is good if you want a simpler game in the vain of Memoir '44. The cool thing about the GMT American Revolution series is that once you figure out one game, the others use the core rules, and you only have to read about 2 pages to pick up the new rules for that specific game. They are not overly difficult. It's just a little different from most wargames. After one game, the mechanic becomes 2nd nature.

I liked Brandywine the best (it's P500 or EBay). Saratoga is very good. Guilford wasn't as good as them in my opinion. These games also play very good solitaire. Monmouth gets out on the table next month. Excellent series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a wife...and I approve of this purchase. (My order was for the Normandy battle pack and Washington's War) I look at games - war games in particular - as a necessary household expense.

just don't let my husband know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Giants and Clash of Giants II have short, relatively simple rule sets, and are excellent games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
theaney wrote:

All on the same day.

Waaay over $100.

Ahhhhh.....the joys of being a bachelor
Sorry, do not mean to rub that in....... or do I? devil

Speak for yourself! Not all of us bachelors are rolling in dough.

I have to pick and choose my monthly gaming purchases very carefully. One reason why I don't participate in P-500 programs. This month, I'm landing a Civilization/Advanced Civilization, plus a copy of Talisman (third edition): Dragon's Tower, which ain't cheap. Such an additional expenditure would put me on a diet of ramen noodles for the rest of the month (and yes, I know today's the THIRD of the month).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Between GMT and MMP, early 2010 is going to see me poor and hungry. At least I'll have some new shiny games to distract me from the grumblings in my belly. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.