Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To totally derail the thread, I like your avatar Wired_Wolf. I actually just completed (re)watching all of the Cowboy Bebop episodes on Monday and I'm now in the middle of the movie. Great series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Daigle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the same thing, but you could always copy/paste all the text and make a new text doc to print. The art is nice, but not really needed in this case.

Just the FAQ's ma'am, just the FAQ's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Arcangeli
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

About FAQing time! Ha!

No, I'm just happy it is out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EPIC!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noonespecial wrote:
To totally derail the thread, I like your avatar Wired_Wolf. I actually just completed (re)watching all of the Cowboy Bebop episodes on Monday and I'm now in the middle of the movie. Great series.

Thanks! I love the series and toss it on in the background when I'm working quite often. I just changed my avatar from Ein a few days ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear lord. That's not a FAQ! It's an ink-waster!

Really, FFG. FAQs need to be simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Arcangeli
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling this is going to appear as a proper published pamphlet in Warhammer: Invasion – Assault on Ulthuan so they have made it as in-keeping with the rulebook as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And pretty much spells out exactly what I'd hoped it would. Well, except for the Greatswords ruling. I still don't get that.

Did the wording change in the sequence of play? We've been using this rhythm:

"I am attacking your quest zone"...pause for actions..."With all these guys here"...pause for actions...."WE will NOT defend" "WE will defend with these guys over here". Was that just totally wrong or am I misremembering?

We did Zone->Attackers->Defenders-Assign->Apply
Should be: Attackers and Zone->Defenders->Assign-Apply

This would be huge, as it would prevent the "cause corruption to stop them from declaring as attackers, but after they've committed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank God, and not a moment too soon. Somehow I feel strangely justified...

One question though:

"In other words, the attacking player must assign enough damage to destroy each defending unit before any damage can be assigned to the defending player’s capital. Note that more damage can
be assigned to a unit at the attacker’s discretion, in anticipation of damage cancellation effects, but a minimum damage necessary to destroy each defending unit must be assigned before any damage can be assigned to the defender’s capital"

Does that mean that you have to take Toughness or other cancelling effects in play at that moment into consideration before assigning to the capital?

Gustav the Bear can be a defending nightmare this way...

*edit*: Yeah, by reading the rulebook once more in cross-reference with the FAQ, IT DOES!!!!!

arrrh Go Gustav! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Stone
United States
Dallas
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been a number of changes from the Rules to the FAQ. Most of them have simplified things quite a bit (though some of them are reversals rather than clarifications). Some of the card interactions have been nerfed, Chaos got hit with the Nerf Hammer big time. I'm glad I abandoned my Corruption Deck in favor of a sniping deck. I'd be really upset about losing the various corruption counters to attacking and the big Nurgle combo otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:

Did the wording change in the sequence of play?

It did. Very confusing and frankly, amazing that they printed such an inconsistency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Boofus wrote:

One question though:

"In other words, the attacking player must assign enough damage to destroy each defending unit before any damage can be assigned to the defending player’s capital. Note that more damage can
be assigned to a unit at the attacker’s discretion, in anticipation of damage cancellation effects, but a minimum damage necessary to destroy each defending unit must be assigned before any damage can be assigned to the defender’s capital"

Does that mean that you have to take Toughness or other cancelling effects in play at that moment into consideration before assigning to the capital?

*edit*: Yeah, by reading the rulebook once more in cross-reference with the FAQ, IT DOES!!!!!

arrrh Go Gustav! arrrh

I had the same question about assigning damage. I think the wording the FAQ was still ambiguous.

However, I THINK what is meant is that enough damage must be assigned to reduce the remaining hit points on the defending unit to zero (not taking into account toughness) before damage can be assigned to the capital. So, a dwarf with toughness could potentially survive the combat while the capital still takes damage.

I think. At least, that's the way I'll play it until I learn otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:

"I am attacking your quest zone"...pause for actions..."With all these guys here"...pause for actions...."WE will NOT defend" "WE will defend with these guys over here". Was that just totally wrong or am I misremembering?

From the rulebook, I read it as being the same as your Should be. Looking at the FAQ, it doesn't seem like the Battlefield Phase has changed except the addition of "If the active player declares no attackers, both players still have the opportunity to take actions during the Battlefield Phase."

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michaeldavidcox wrote:
Windopaene wrote:

From the rulebook, I read it as being the same as your Should be. Looking at the FAQ, it doesn't seem like the Battlefield Phase has changed except the addition of "If the active player declares no attackers, both players still have the opportunity to take actions during the Battlefield Phase."

Am I missing something?

"Phase 4. Battlefield Phase

Active player declares attackers, and
decides which of his opponent’s zones
they are attacking.

Actions may be taken by either
player." (p. 10)

Used to be (p. 9, Core Set rules):

Declare Target (zone)

Action Window (at this point, you could corrupt attackers to prevent them from attacking, not anymore it seems)

Declare Attackers

Action Window

If you went by the turn sequence chart on p. 14, then you won't see anything different. But if you went by the rules for Battlefield Phase on p. 9, should look different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
If you went by the turn sequence chart on p. 14, then you won't see anything different. But if you went by the rules for Battlefield Phase on p. 9, should look different.
That must be it. I mostly use the sequence chart as I've only played a handful of times.

Thanks.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Longbow wrote:
Boofus wrote:

One question though:

arrrh Go Gustav! arrrh

I had the same question about assigning damage. I think the wording the FAQ was still ambiguous.

However, I THINK what is meant is that enough damage must be assigned to reduce the remaining hit points on the defending unit to zero (not taking into account toughness) before damage can be assigned to the capital. So, a dwarf with toughness could potentially survive the combat while the capital still takes damage.

I think. At least, that's the way I'll play it until I learn otherwise.

Check this:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that. Then what's the purpose of "toughness"? Why not just give those units extra hit points?

Does anyone think that the new FAQ and followup answers have been vetted through the designer? I'm thinking not, but I hope I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Daigle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ has been updated. The correct battlefield sequence is:

Phase 4. Battlefield Phase
Active player decides which of his
opponent’s zones he is attacking.

player.

Active player declares attackers.

player.

Defending player declares
defenders.

Actions may be taken by
either player.

Damage is counted then
assigned, without yet
being applied.

Actions may be taken by either player.

Damage is applied and its effects
resolve. Characters leave play if they
have damage equal to or greater than
their hit points. Burn tokens are placed
on the capital if necessary.

Actions may be taken by either player.

If the active player declares no
attackers, both players still have the
opportunity to take actions during the
Battlefield Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They even have a printer friendly version.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Daigle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michaeldavidcox wrote:
They even have a printer friendly version.

Michael

Thanks Michael, missed that! Much better FFG, MUCH BETTER!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Stone
United States
Dallas
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is par for the course with them in regards to FAQs. They produce one which is suitable for production and disbursement and then one which is printer friendly (though I know a lot of players who print the graphics version because it is so attractive and really shows new or potentially interested people that the company really supports the game).

The FAQ had an error regarding the steps of declaring attacks, which as said has been clarified. The FAQ is produced by the design and development team, so yes, everything has been vetted. Remember even though it is packaged like a board game it is not. The rules are not completely static, they will grow and change as the card pool and player base do, in an attempt to keep things flowing, and as simple as possible without taking away from the depth of strategy and tactics that attracted people to the game.

Regarding toughness... you must account for toughness when you assign damage. This is a change. As to why Toughness as opposed to an increased number of HP, think of Toughness as a form of instant regeneration or damage reduction. A Unit with 2 HP and Toughness 1 is more resilient than a Unit with just 3 HP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Longbow wrote:
I saw that. Then what's the purpose of "toughness"? Why not just give those units extra hit points?

You're thinking one turn at a time. If I deal one point of damage each turn to a unit with Toughness 1, it will never die. That's why it's different - and better - than an extra hit point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Corwin1980 wrote:
Longbow wrote:

You're thinking one turn at a time. If I deal one point of damage each turn to a unit with Toughness 1, it will never die. That's why it's different - and better - than an extra hit point.

Yes, of course you are right. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.