Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am creating a fan based expansion. I am running the cards by here first for feedback. I appreciate and read all the feedback and even change the cards even when I don't post anything here.

Both of these cards allow you to draw more cards, an ability not seen outside of the Broom.

Handyman

Draw the top card of the Minor Improvements
deck. If you are able to play it, you must play
it immediately. If not, place it in your hand.

You may continuing drawing and playing
improvements similarly until either you choose
to stop, or you come across an improvement
you cannot play.

Teacher

All future occupations cost you one
less Food to play.

After playing an occupation, if you
have two or fewer occupations in your
hand, you may draw an occupation
card.

Note: This originally was just the food part, but then I saw there was a 4+ player card that gave you 2 food before you paid for an occupation, so I added the draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It would be nice if you had a single thread for this instead of a bunch of them, since your things are designed to work together.

The Handyman card should be revealed even if you can't play it since then everyone can see that "you can't play it".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zeroth hour wrote:
It would be nice if you had a single thread for this instead of a bunch of them, since your things are designed to work together.

I can put the cards in one thread. Last game I tried this in, they asked me to put them all in different threads.

zeroth hour wrote:
The Handyman card should be revealed even if you can't play it since then everyone can see that "you can't play it".

I considered that and it will probably go into the longer descriptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them both. The Handiman is a bit of a gamble, as you must spend whatever it costs even if you can't benefit from it. What if you draw the Mansion, can afford it, but can't get to a stone house? What if you draw the Vacation Home and can afford it, but can't afford to feed twice? It might be better to let you take the card into your hand even if you could build it, but you don't get to keep drawing, unless you build it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Buggy wrote:
I am creating a fan based expansion. I am running the cards by here first for feedback. I appreciate and read all the feedback and even change the cards even when I don't post anything here.

Both of these cards allow you to draw more cards, an ability not seen outside of the Broom.

The Broom really is an anomoly in base-set Agricola, and card drawing doesn't fit with the general feel of the game. That being said, I applaud your decision to go this way: what's the point of a fan based expansion if you don't experiment and push the limits of the game?

Quote:
Handyman

Draw the top card of the Minor Improvements
deck. If you are able to play it, you must play
it immediately. If not, place it in your hand.

You may continuing drawing and playing
improvements similarly until either you choose
to stop, or you come across an improvement
you cannot play.

The biggest issue with card-drawing is that it greatly increases the amount of random luck in the game. Many experienced Agricola players draft their cards to increase control and limit the swings of luck.

From that perspective, the Handyman is probably just too random. While card drawing may be random, with the Broom it's no more random than the opening draw. The Handyman, on the other hand, could potentially single-handedly win the game for you by stringing together 10 no-cost improvements, or it could replace itself with the Holiday House. Or, worse, it could force you to actually play the Holiday House. . . .

A second concern is more thematic: there aren't many occupations that provide you with a benefit when you play them and then sit dead on the board.

P.S. I like the name.

Quote:
Teacher

All future occupations cost you one
less Food to play.

After playing an occupation, if you
have two or fewer occupations in your
hand, you may draw an occupation
card.

This one suffers from a similar problem, though at least with the Teacher you'll know how useful it is (generally) before you play it. Essentially, the Teacher is almost worthless without a combination. With the right combination, it breaks the game. For instance, imagine this: Tutor/Teacher/Patron/Perpetual Student/Educator/Writing Desk/Bookshelf. While obviously the full combo is extremely unlikely, the mere possibility of it is a problem for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Handyman, but how about making it trigger once at the beginning of every round? You draw 1 card, if you can play it you must, if not it's put into your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Boyko
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or after a harvest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Chen
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From a thematic standpoint, it'd be cool if the Handyman triggered every time you added a room to your house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
vivafringe wrote:
From a thematic standpoint, it'd be cool if the Handyman triggered every time you added a room to your house.

Or Extend or Renovate.

As far as drawing Occupations goes, I was thinking about it a little bit, how about a traveling minor:

Career Fair

"Draw as many Occupations from the Deck as there are players in the game. Give one to each opponent, and put the other in your hand. After you play this card, pass it to your left."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.