Subject: Saverne Gap Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Weaver
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Round one took place on Saturday. I played the Germans while my son played the Allies. We went back and forth on this one. I brought my armor up to La-Petite-Pierre to shore up the gap. It did not last long against the French armor push. It took several turn to get eliminated so I guess it did its job. My infantry held out much better. My son focused on eliminating the infantry there instead of driving beyond them and on to Saverne.

My center held up beautifully. I brought my armor up and into the woods in the gap. The combined armor, infantry, and artillery were able to push back the piecemeal infantry attacks. The wire hexes are in a really good defensive position. It takes one turn just to get into the wire and another turn to remove it. That gives the Germans two full turns to fire at the Allies before they are able to return fire without the -1 modifier.

On the left flank there just was not that much going on. French armor rolled up on Dabo and opened fire, rolling two flags. My infantry fell back into the woods along the river and stayed there. He rolled his tanks into the town against my advice but it made no difference; we both held to the status quo.

Overall I'd have to say that I could not have eeked out a win if it were not accurate artillery fire. Airpower did not play a significant role.

We switched sides for our Sunday round. Wow! What cards! Left Assault, Left Attack, two Center Attacks, two Right Probes and Air Sortie to start. I brought my P-38 onto the map and my infantry began to move against the wires. Once the wires were eliminated the Lightning pressed hard against the artillery forcing them to retreat twice in two attacks, effectively pushing them out of range. I planned my moves well enough to keep the Lightning in the air through about seven turns.

On the left I had to move carefully. I had the cards but not the space. My boy has learned to attack units that have no room to retreat. It seemed as though every time I played a center or a left card, I drew one of equal or greater value. My armor and aircraft were able to eliminate the Germans around La-Petite-Pierre, but I ran out of cards to be able to press to Saverne.

The right flank went much like the day before. The armor advanced to Dabo, routed the infantry, and stopped.

Lastly, I played a GA allowing my tanks to round the corner and bring guns to bear against his retreated artillery. I rolled one grenade and two flags, eliminating one and forcing the other unit off of the map for the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.